• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

question about abortion

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by cedric1200, Apr 2, 2015.

1. cedric1200

cedric1200 Jesus is King

+63
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    If your teenager daughter was sexually assaulted and got pregnant as a result, and she wanted an abortion, would you encourage her not to get an abortion?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. football5680

football5680 Well-Known Member

+1,491
    Catholic
    Single
    Yes. Abortion goes against the teachings of the Catholic Church.

3. Jade Margery

Jade Margery Stranger in a strange land

+282
    Agnostic
    In Relationship
    I'd encourage her to make her own decision, and support whatever that decision was, abortion or not.

4. Resha Caner

Resha Caner Expert Fool

+1,361
    Lutheran
    Married
    Yes. To be trite, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

To be more explicit, someone who is raped should seek counseling, and a good counselor will tell them that showing love is the best way to heal. Abortion could possibly become a means for burying what happened. Placing the child (should she decide not to parent) with a couple who can't have biological children is a loving act.

Many churches provide counseling services. To be honest, in my experience the Catholic church does the best job with these types of issues. I wish my church did more.

5. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+16,549
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    The person who raped her should be locked up permanantly.
    The resulting child should not be punished for someone else's crime. Especially not capital punishment.

I would NEVER counsel her to get an abortion and would do anything in my power to prevent such a course of action.

6. Golden Yak

Golden Yak Not Worshipped, Far from Idle

+30
    Atheist
    Single
    Including forcibly confining her against her will until she gave birth?

7. KitKatMatt

KitKatMatt stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal

+1,566
    Agnostic
    Single
    The decision would be here to make, not mine. I'd support her either way.

It's her body and her potential child. I have no final say in the matter.

8. jacknife

jacknife Theophobic troll

+658
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Green
    It would be up to her.

9. Resha Caner

Resha Caner Expert Fool

+1,361
    Lutheran
    Married
    I understand this is the politically correct answer, but do you answer this way about any difficult situation someone gets into? Are you proposing we leave people to make uninformed decisions?

10. quatona

quatona "God"? What do you mean??

+4,186
    Seeker
    I am aware that all my principles are a result of going through a lot of conflicting, ambivalent considerations.
    Thus, when trying to guide a person, the last thing I would do is to reverse engineer from this result, as if there weren´t any viable cases for the opposite result.
    First thing I would do is ask for and listen to the aspects and criteria that are important, significant and relevant to her. Next thing (provided she is even interested in my advice) I would do is is to offer some of those aspects and criteria (for either decision), that would be important, significant and relevant to me if I were in her situation. Third thing would be to leave the decision to her.

11. Skaloop

Skaloop Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion

+825
    Atheist
    Married
    CA-NDP
    True, but only one wrong has been committed. The rape.

You're not a psychiatrist, are you? Love is not "the best way to heal" and abortion doesn't mean burying what happened.

Really? The Catholic church does the best job? And what is your experience? How many unwanted pregnancies have you had? How many times have you considered abortion then decided against it based on the input from your church?

12. quatona

+4,186
    Seeker
    No, that´s not your "understanding", it´s an insinuation on your part.
    Nothing in the responses you quoted advocated the withholding of information.

13. Resha Caner

Resha Caner Expert Fool

+1,361
    Lutheran
    Married
    [quote="quatona";67281036]Third thing would be to leave the decision to her.[/quote]

It's good you would offer some guidance, but "teenage" could mean anything from 13 to 19. Do you really think all ages should be left to make significant life decisions?

14. KitKatMatt

+1,566
    Agnostic
    Single
    I didn't answer that way because it was politically correct.

Why do you assume she'd be making an uninformed decision? Where did anyone say they wouldn't talk about the choices with her? I simply said that I have no final say in the matter because it is her body and her choice.

15. Resha Caner

Resha Caner Expert Fool

+1,361
    Lutheran
    Married
    Are you?

Yes, I've had experience with women who have decided they can't parent a child. If you've had experience as well we can compare notes. Until then I don't see why your advice would be better than mine.

16. KitKatMatt

+1,566
    Agnostic
    Single
    In this hypothetical, a significant decision HAS to be made. It can't be put off. It can't be ignored. The pregnancy won't put itself on pause until she's older.

I'd rather my hypothetical daughter choose what is best for herself rather than me forcing my own choice on her. Again, it is her body, and her potential child.

17. Resha Caner

Resha Caner Expert Fool

+1,361
    Lutheran
    Married
    Because you didn't mention it. I'm happy to be wrong.

Would you just talk? Do you feel prepared for such a conversation or would you suggest help from others as well?

So age would play no role in this? A girl of 13 is just as equipped as one of 19 ... or 29 ... to make such a decision?

18. KitKatMatt

+1,566
    Agnostic
    Single
    I refuse to force her hand. I can't do that in good consciousness.

Pregnancy is dangerous for someone that young, but it is not my choice to terminate or carry.

19. Resha Caner

Resha Caner Expert Fool

+1,361
    Lutheran
    Married
    Obviously. I guess I have my answer about age, but I disagree.

Does that go for all decisions of your 13-yr-old daughter? Where she'll live? If she goes to school or not? What substances she takes into her body? Whether to drive drunk or while texting? etc. etc.

Since Skaloop brought it up, should we start discussing the psychology of teenagers?

20. quatona

+4,186
    Seeker
    No, but unfortunately the question wasn´t specifying the age any further.
    On another note, I don´t think that maturity and age are necessarily the same.
    On a third note: Seeing that there are adult persons who would advocate an abortion, and adult persons who would advocate abstaining from it, I don´t think that appealing to old age as the determining factor in giving good advice is getting us very far.