Quantum Physics Debunks Materialism

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
The LCDM cosmology model still violates the Copernicus principle by suggesting that we're living in a privileged position with respect to time.
I'm not sure quite what you mean - life like Earth's can't occur until conditions are suitable to support life like Earth's (the micro-anthropic principle ;)). On cosmological timescales, the universe had to expand and cool enough for complex structures like stars and galaxies to form. The first few generations of stars would be low in 'metals' (elements above hydrogen & helium), so there would be too little material for many planets and too little carbon and heavier elements around for carbon-based life. Life on Earth seems to have appeared almost as soon as it was capable of supporting life (though not as we know it today), which suggests that if the conditions are right there's a good chance of life appearing.

Most of the rest of the life of the universe is projected to be populated with black holes evaporating until the indefinite heat death period. Compared to that timescale, there's a relatively small window of opportunity early in the life of the universe that is suitable for the emergence of complexity - it's no surprise that we find ourselves in that window.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
I'm not sure quite what you mean - life like Earth's can't occur until conditions are suitable to support life like Earth's (the micro-anthropic principle ;)). On cosmological timescales, the universe had to expand and cool enough for complex structures like stars and galaxies to form. The first few generations of stars would be low in 'metals' (elements above hydrogen & helium), so there would be too little material for many planets and too little carbon and heavier elements around for carbon-based life. Life on Earth seems to have appeared almost as soon as it was capable of supporting life (though not as we know it today), which suggests that if the conditions are right there's a good chance of life appearing.

Most of the rest of the life of the universe is projected to be populated with black holes evaporating until the indefinite heat death period. Compared to that timescale, there's a relatively small window of opportunity early in the life of the universe that is suitable for the emergence of complexity - it's no surprise that we find ourselves in that window.

Many mainstream videos tend to suggest that eventually galaxy clusters will be spread so widely apart that other galaxy clusters would no longer be visible and therefore there would be no way to measure things like "dark energy" and no way to know there was a "bang".

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
None of which saves your idiotic conspiracy theory which is refuted by the historical fact that Einstein and Hilbert were aware that energy was not conserved globally a decade before expanding spacetime was even considered.
Get over it.

Again with your conspiracy strawman? Give it rest already. Nobody is making a conspiracy claim other than you.

As I said, since the universe is "flat" to the best of our knowledge, the violation of the conservation of energy laws is entirely *optional*. It's not my fault that the LCDM cosmology model violates conservation of energy laws, not just once, but *twice*, in two different ways! IMO that just shows how absurd the LCDM model is. All we have to do is toss out that one cosmology model and there are no scenarios in *our flat* universe where energy is not conserved. There are also *better* cosmology models to explain a flat universe which do not require that we toss out the laws of physics.

Even your own video points out exactly what I pointed out, specifically that energy is *not* conserved in the LCDM model. IMO that just demonstrates that the LCDM model is *wrong*!

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
But we have to exist in at least a *partially* privileged time, don't we?

Maybe not. We wouldn't have to live in a privileged time in *every possible* cosmology model.

Certainly we couldn't exist until there were heavy elements to make planets on which life formed, right?

That concept presumes a 'beginning' (of matter) where only hydrogen and helium form in a "bang". If we start by assuming that the universe is infinite and eternal, it doesn't necessarily have a 'beginning' in the same sense, and there wouldn't be a need for for 'heavy elements", they would simply always exist.

As for being at the "right time" to discover the cosmology, if we existed in a time after the universe had accelerated all outside our own galaxy to be invisible, then we probably would be able to develop a complete cosmology reaching the "beginning".

Exactly. At some point in time in a "bang", the galaxies would be so far apart that we would only be able to see our local cluster, and the universe would look pretty static.

I'd have to think about what astronomers in the distant future might see and determine in the distant future about cosmology. It's entirely possible (but I don't know for sure) that far enough into the future it might not be possible to demonstrate that there ever was anything beyond the Galaxy.

That's basically the idea. We'd probably still have galaxies in "clusters" but only the local cluster would be visible.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Many mainstream videos tend to suggest that eventually galaxy clusters will be spread so widely apart that other galaxy clusters would no longer be visible and therefore there would be no way to measure things like "dark energy" and no way to know there was a "bang".
True enough, I guess that's the luck of the draw. But even if no receding galaxies were visible, the CMB would provide something to puzzle over, so it's possible they'd develop a big bang hypothesis, although there would be less direct evidence to support it. The average ages of the visible stars and the relative abundance of metals, and so-on, might provide some support.

But if you were to claim that our situation is unlikely or unexpected, you'd need to show that the proportion of time that biological life is possible or likely and receding galaxies are visible, is very significantly less than the proportion of time that biological life is possible or likely and receding galaxies are not visible. I have no idea what the relative proportions are.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.