Put a bird on it; Birding photography thread.

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,015.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it is a Western Kingbird.

Makes sense, those don't exist in Europe. The English name sounds so majestic while we call it "Arkansaskönigstyrann" which translates into "Arkansas king tyrant"...

• Haha
Reactions: tall73
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
upload_2021-1-31_18-39-7.png

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Makes sense, those don't exist in Europe. The English name sounds so majestic while we call it "Arkansaskönigstyrann" which translates into "Arkansas king tyrant"...

I think this one is the Eastern.

upload_2021-1-31_18-50-3.png

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good to know. If I ever move to the States I'd have to go west. I like that one better ;)

Here is another view of the Western. I think this was my daughter's favorite of the type.

upload_2021-1-31_18-56-51.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another kind of woodpecker in our garden. This is a "middle-spotted woodpecker".

I can see a few differences, but they look pretty similar. Someone else would have to make the identifications, they confuse me!

I think you have the right idea with drawing them to the garden. We spend a lot of our time tracking them down! One daughter has binoculars, I have a monocular, and the other daughter takes the photos most of the time. At least it is good exercise.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,015.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can see a few differences, but they look pretty similar. Someone else would have to make the identifications, they confuse me!

I think you have the right idea with drawing them to the garden. We spend a lot of our time tracking them down! One daughter has binoculars, I have a monocular, and the other daughter takes the photos most of the time. At least it is good exercise.

The main difference (by which I identify them) is that the great-spotted woodpecker got a black top of the head and a red neck while the middle-spotted woodpecker got a red top of head and a black neck :)

Oh, so you are taking photographs of birds mainly? Or animals in general?
I don't have a specific object of photography, I'm basically taking photographs of whatever comes in front of my lens and it happens to be nature (animals as well as plants, landscapes, sunsets/sky...) about 90% of the time.
I got my first and only camera in 2010 and I haven't gotten many pictures lately because university consumed most of my time. :(

• Informative
Reactions: tall73
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The main difference (by which I identify them) is that the great-spotted woodpecker got a black top of the head and a red neck while the middle-spotted woodpecker got a red top of head and a black neck :)

Oh, so you are taking photographs of birds mainly? Or animals in general?
I don't have a specific object of photography, I'm basically taking photographs of whatever comes in front of my lens and it happens to be nature (animals as well as plants, landscapes, sunsets/sky...) about 90% of the time.
I got my first and only camera in 2010 and I haven't gotten many pictures lately because university consumed most of my time. :(

We just go looking for wildlife. One of the cameras was borrowed by my daughter for her school photography class. Then she bought one that we used for quite a few of them.

I had an older camera around for a while that was used for the first goose photo.

But for most photos lately I use my phone. For the wildlife, you usually need the zoom.

I think all but one of the photos I posted were taken in the last year after my daughter took photography class in school. We went on walks for exercise, and took the camera with us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

67_Reasons

66 pages + the Lord Jesus
Jan 12, 2021
Skipperville, AL, USA
✟87,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,015.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We just go looking for wildlife. One of the cameras was borrowed by my daughter for her school photography class. Then she bought one that we used for quite a few of them.

I had an older camera around for a while that was used for the first goose photo.

But for most photos lately I use my phone. For the wildlife, you usually need the zoom.

I think all but one of the photos I posted were taken in the last year after my daughter took photography class in school. We went on walks for exercise, and took the camera with us.

That's really nice! I have never tried using my phone, I rarely use it for anything except an alarm clock :D
Sadly we couldn't take photography at school.

Upvote 0

67_Reasons

66 pages + the Lord Jesus
Jan 12, 2021
Skipperville, AL, USA
✟87,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not my pic, but here you have one for a reference.
Great_Crested_Flycatcher_singing_6-1-2010.jpg

I actually had one of these in my hand in 2017 named him Mockingjay the fly catcher, he slammed my window hard but he was trying to catch his breath after the ordeal, so I was comforting him till he calmed down a bit. Then he was ransacking in our garage, after this he came to see me two other times one time he was carrying a corn stalk he was probably going to use as a nesting medium, the other he came to see me while watching the dogs, he was hovering under the front porch stoop and told me he had to fly north for the summer, friendly guy here...

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So were all of these in the thread taken with the Canon PowerShot SX120 IS?

Upvote 0