Wales
✟351,169.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Because there always needs to be that one thing that reminds us all that, no matter what, we can't have everything our own way perfectly.

Funny anecdote though; on my holiday this year to Crete, I ended up getting bitten a good half a dozen times or so by mosquitos. But the bites themselves never itched. It was always like a few centimetres down that itched.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most likely to fill in the food chain. Mosquitoes, flies, gnats (pronounces guh-nats #VeggieTales), etc are probably the main supply of food for a lot of other insects, who are then food for smaller animals, etc.

I doubt Adam and Eve were annoyed with them before the fall. But I'm fairly confident that with the eating of the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, the first evil thing they learned of was these flying pests. Seriously.

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,848.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The future is based heavily on the past via a feedback loop process. This kind of process will always lead to blow-ups unless negative feedback is introduced. For humans, disease is that negative feedback. Pests are a way to spread diseases. Eliminate all pests and all diseases and humans would weaken over time until something new came along and wiped out most people.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Because there always needs to be that one thing that reminds us all that, no matter what, we can't have everything our own way perfectly.

Funny anecdote though; on my holiday this year to Crete, I ended up getting bitten a good half a dozen times or so by mosquitos. But the bites themselves never itched. It was always like a few centimetres down that itched.
that's really interesting!

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Most likely to fill in the food chain. Mosquitoes, flies, gnats (pronounces guh-nats #VeggieTales), etc are probably the main supply of food for a lot of other insects, who are then food for smaller animals, etc.

I doubt Adam and Eve were annoyed with them before the fall. But I'm fairly confident that with the eating of the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, the first evil thing they learned of was these flying pests. Seriously.
That makes sense from a scientific perspective. Cool!

It also makes me wonder about germs, bacteria, and viruses etc

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,169.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
That makes sense from a scientific perspective. Cool!

It also makes me wonder about germs, bacteria, and viruses etc

The thing to remember is that there are no vacuums in nature. If there is a niche, there will be something to fill it. If it's a virus that can only survive by making its host sick and then spreading other viruses to other hosts, then so be it. If its a germ that can only live via rotting meat, then so be it.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why did God create them? I often ponder this question

[serious question]

Perhaps their original purpose was thwarted due to sin entering the world .... just like ours was.

Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so. (Genesis 1:29–30)

the "food chain" idea don't harmonize with the Genesis account.

Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so. (Genesis 1:29–30)

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

[serious question]
I kinda wonder what they ate before sin was introduced into creation.

Since God said in His law to the Hebrews, that drinking blood or eating food not drained of blood is something they shouldn't do because the blood is the life of the animal.

It is possible they had a different diet before they started biting other organisms to survive.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well of course God didnt create anything with a food chain in mind. But even when things don't go according to plan, He is able to make it work perfectly.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That is not what Genesis 1:29-30 says.

From your source:
29 And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. tYou shall have them for food. 30 And uto every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so.

But also keep in mind that after the fall, certain foods (pork, shellfish, etc) was considered unclean.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well of course God didnt create anything with a food chain in mind. But even when things don't go according to plan, He is able to make it work perfectly.

It's a matter of survival ... survival don't represent perfection .... His perfect creation was corrupted by an enemy ... we don't experience His perfection creation in it's entirety, only remnants of it ... we are born into a fallen corrupted world.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a matter of survival ... survival don't represent perfection .... His perfect creation was corrupted by an enemy ... we don't experience His perfection creation in it's entirety, only remnants of it ... we are born into a fallen corrupted world.
So God has absolutely nothing to do with the hierarchy of nature?

Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

[serious question]

I've thought about that too, and came to the conclusion that a lot of bugs came into existence once death entered the planet. Bugs like to eat rotten things, so animals and things dying may be what brought them into existence starting out microscopic and then they evolved to the bugs we see today.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.