Purgatory: Scriptural or not... or worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PollyJetix

Feb 15, 2017
Virginia
✟35,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't see the idea of purgatory in the Scriptures.

It seems to me to be an invention of humans who wanted to make a way for sinful people to get to heaven, bypassing the work of the Cross.

Thus, the idea of purgatory is not only non-Biblical, but ANTI-Christ.

If we can add to the work of Christ, by paying for "some" of our sins in purgatory,
then why can we not pay for all of them, eventually, in hellfire, and at some future point in eternity, escape hell?

Add to this, the idea of canonization of saints.
The Scriptures imply not at all, that some Christians who have died have achieved a higher "sainthood" (by going straight to heaven, and skipping purgatory) than those of us who are in Christ, here on earth.

The Bible calls all Christians, saints.

The ideas of canonized saints and purgatory are interdependent, and I can find no support for either in the Scriptures.

What say you?

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Much of Christian doctrine has been affected by the testimony of Christians who had a brush with death. To what degree was early Christian doctrine affected by what Lazarus told people about what he experienced during those four days.

Did Lazarus have a story to tell that would remind us of the near death experience testimony of former Atheist Howard Storm?

If so....... then Christian near death experiencers report the existence of a realm where people can flee to after death...... when they refuse to objectively and honestly review their lives with Messiah Yeshua - Jesus.

Some near death experiencers call it The Void... and it somewhat resembles the idea of Purgatory.

• Haha
Reactions: lben
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
As I see it, when people do not get forgiven by GOD through JESUS ,
they seek another way, because they always (or still) feel or know that they are still guilty.

Any other way that man or other can come up with , they grasp for,
without realizing it results in death all the time to those who do it.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It seems to me to be an invention of humans who wanted to make a way for sinful people to get to heaven, bypassing the work of the Cross.

If we can add to the work of Christ, by paying for "some" of our sins in purgatory,
then why can we not pay for all of them, eventually, in hellfire, and at some future point in eternity, escape hell?

The Scriptures imply not at all, that some Christians who have died have achieved a higher "sainthood" (by going straight to heaven, and skipping purgatory) than those of us who are in Christ, here on earth.

The ideas of canonized saints and purgatory are interdependent, and I can find no support for either in the Scriptures.

What say you?
I agree purgatory is a lie ironically even know some catholics who consider it to be nonsense.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
and it somewhat resembles the idea of Purgatory.
It is 'made' to resemble the false theory and idolatrous pagan belief of that. From many angles, and with a multitude of devices.

i.e. to 'sooth' people's consciences while destoying the people

• Agree
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
John 3:19

"And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."

Hebrews 9:27

"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:"

But what happens if somebody runs away from the Being of Light who reviews our lives with us?

You could call it Purgatory?

• Haha
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It is 'made' to resemble the false theory and idolatrous pagan belief of that. From many angles, and with a multitude of devices.

i.e. to 'sooth' people's consciences while destoying the people

I used to think that......
but now I am thinking that we are facing a somewhat similar situation to
the Northern Kingdom of Israel in the time of the Prophet Elijah.

The being of light of NDE fame, G-d or Satan?

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
According to SCRIPTURE (GOD'S WORD)
z-e-r-o .

Zero is an awfully strong number to assign to it........
I used to believe in the "soul sleep" doctrine but the near death experience testimony of
Dr. George Ritchie made it impossible for me to continue on in that false doctrine.

.near-death
.com/experiences/notable/george-ritchie.html#a05c

c. His Experience of the "Receiving Station"

Jesus then takes Ritchie to another realm and is shown a kind of "receiving station" where spirits would arrive in a deep hypnotic sleep because of a particular religious belief they held to be true. Here there were "angels" trying to arouse them and help them realize, "God is truly a God of the living and that they did not have to lie around sleeping until Gabriel or someone came along blowing on a horn." These are the spirits of people who believe they must sleep in their grave until the second coming of Christ (i.e., soul sleep.)

• Informative
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I used to think that......
Yes, many people have swooned too, for false visions and doctrines; departing from God's WORD willingly, but unwittingly (deceived)...
we may or may not be able to "save them as though by fire"....
God Willing, if they are willing.

• Agree
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Zero is an awfully strong number to assign to it........
I used to believe in the "soul sleep" doctrine but the near death experience testimony of
Dr. George Ritchie made it impossible for me to continue on in that false doctrine.
zero is what is in line with SCRIPTURE, all SCRIPTURE.

If that guy or anyone else tricks people, that's on them.

If you let them trick you, that's on you.

Adam blamed satan for Adam's fall; excuses have been used ever since then. God doesn't accept the excuses -
only faith in JESUS, trusting and relying on HIM>

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yes, many people have swooned too, for false visions and doctrines; departing from God's WORD willingly, but unwittingly (deceived)...
we may or may not be able to "save them as though by fire"....
God Willing, if they are willing.

Or..... many sincere Christians get so into a simplistic understanding of the state of the dead based on a few scriptures from the Jewish Bible that are easy to misunderstand that they throw away the much easier statements by Paul on this question.

2 Corinthians 12:2 "I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)
How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter."

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Or..... many sincere Christians get so into a simplistic understanding of the state of the dead based on a few scriptures from the Jewish Bible that are easy to misunderstand that they throw away the much easier statements by Paul on this question.
Being sincere won't help anyone.

Everyone on the wide path to destruction is sincere , possibly.

That is the "easy" path, one reason people take it, along with all the deceivers guiding them.

The hard path, the narrow path to life, JESUS, is not popular.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
zero is what is in line with SCRIPTURE, all SCRIPTURE.

If that guy or anyone else tricks people, that's on them.

If you let them trick you, that's on you.

Adam blamed satan for Adam's fall; excuses have been used ever since then. God doesn't accept the excuses -
only faith in JESUS, trusting and relying on HIM>

Did you read "Heaven is for Real" or see the movie?

A three year old makes an excellent witness........ very credible in my opinion......... His testimony is also turning thousands of people to Messiah Yeshua - Jesus even in North America alone.

Rev 12:11

And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the wordof their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You sin in your body(rom8:10)
Flesh and blood cannot enter heaven(1cor15:50)
So why would that part of you that commits sin need to be purged of sin to enter heaven when it is not going to enter heaven anyway?

Good points.... I don't actually believe in the specific ideas on Purgatory... I do think though that sincere Christians may have formulated and exaggerated ideas about what happens after death until they came up with Purgatory.

Many Christian near death experiencers report being able to enter paradise / heaven within seconds of a brush with death and finding their consciousness outside their bodies...... similar to II Corinthians 12:2-4 I assume.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Did you read "Heaven is for Real" or see the movie?
A three year old makes an excellent witness........ very credible in my opinion......... His testimony is also turning thousands of people to Messiah Yeshua - Jesus even in North America alone.
I believe it was later exposed , but am not sure.
Either way,
It was and is nothing to build anything on,
unless building on quicksand is okay for the house.(many many houses , many billions of souls , have been tricked and deceived and lost because of trusting things not in line with SCRIPTURE for the last 2000 years).

"credible" is only as much as proven in SCRIPTURE.
This thread and topic is about what is NOT in SCRIPTURE, what has tricked and decieved people for centuries.

• Agree
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since we need to be judged before we go to heaven or hell, surely there is a place we await that. If that isn't what we refer to as purgatory, I have no idea...hey, I still haven't figured out Hell, something I'm sure exists so, Purgatory, who knows?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Since we need to be judged before we go to heaven or hell, surely there is a place we await that. If that isn't what we refer to as purgatory, I have no idea...hey, I still haven't figured out Hell, something I'm sure exists so, Purgatory, who knows?
[obviously] God knows. He says clearly in HIS WORD.
Few people accept HIS WORD.
There was never 'purgatory' in HIS WORD> simple !
There was 'purgatory' in pagan heathen gentile nations.

Choose God's WORD, or pagan heathen gentile nations.

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

What say you?

Don't forget: Luther removed 7 books from the Bible

Is Purgatory in the Bible?

21 Reasons to Reject "Sola Scriptura"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.