• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Protestantism, Apostle's Creed etc.

Discussion in 'Christian Apologetics' started by Duvduv, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:19 PM.

1. Duvduv

Duvduv Well-Known Member

+75
    United States
    Judaism
    Married
    When I just saw a video story that at the funeral of GHW Bush the congregation recited the Apostles Creed except for Donald and Milenia Trump it made me wonder about something. When Protestant leaders and sects were rejecting so many things of the Catholic religion and theology over the centuries, why didn't they also come to reject the foundations of the same Papist religion, i.e. the New Testament and creeds?! How could a good Baptist like Jimmy Carter, or the Episcopalian Bushes, or good Anabaptists or even members of other denominations recite a creed that sounds like it was written in the Vatican regarding the Holy Catholic Church etc.?!
    Maybe Milenia and Donald have carried Protestantism to its logical end and rejected the entire package? After all, it was the ancient Roman church that gave everything to the Christian world....

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Nicolaus Mourer

Nicolaus Mourer Call me Nic. Supporter

+1,047
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    . Nevermind. I may have mistook him with someone else.

3. bcbsr

bcbsr Newbie

+1,220
    Christian
    Well why not the Old Testament as well? Fact is there is a difference between what constitutes scripture and what constitutes interpretation of scripture. Scripture has been validated by miracles.

"Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know." Acts 2:22

"he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead." Acts 17:31

"Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does. But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father." John 10:37,38

"Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." John 20:30,31

Same with your Old Testament. Debates are over what interpretations of scripture to disregard. And I'm sure even you Jews have differences among yourselves as to the scriptures interpretation and application. It's not the same as tearing up the Torah.

4. CherubRam

CherubRam My name is Michael, I am a Judaic Christian.

+635
    United States
    Private
    US-Others
    Rome was a Pagan theocracy when it adopted Christianity. That in its self is not a good thing.

5. ToBeLoved

ToBeLoved Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,199
    Non-Denom
    Private
    The New Testament is part of the Bible and is not Catholic. They added some apocrypha and other things to their Catholic version, but the New Testament has existed for 1,700 years.

Protestants accept the 66 book cannon. That’s the Bible.

6. ToBeLoved

+5,199
    Non-Denom
    Private
    The Nicene Creed is the only Creed really accepted by all Christians.

The other ones. Not so much.

7. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Well-Known Member

+844
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Melania is Catholic.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Tigger45

Tigger45 Grounded in His word, anchored in church history. Supporter CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team

+5,777
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Protestants, particularly Lutherans differentiate between biblically historic Christian writings/creeds and later Roman Catholic innovations.

9. JackRT

JackRT Gargoyle at Oxford University Supporter

+9,704
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    Actually it was the Protestants who removed the apocrypha. I am not debating whether it was right or wrong, just pointing out historical fact.

10. CherubRam

+635
    United States
    Private
    US-Others
    The Nicene Creed is followed by those who follow the Catholics.

11. JackRT

JackRT Gargoyle at Oxford University Supporter

+9,704
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    The odd thing about almost all creeds is that they state what is believed about Jesus but nothing or next to nothing about the teachings of Jesus. That has perplexed me almost my whole life.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. ToBeLoved

+5,199
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I don’t think so. Even Cf uses the Nicene Creed to determine Christians and who can post where.

13. CherubRam

+635
    United States
    Private
    US-Others
    That is a personal preference on their part and not biblical. Over the years Cf has changed their policy as to who is a Christian.

14. Tigger45

Tigger45 Grounded in His word, anchored in church history. Supporter CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team

+5,777
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Its strange that neither Donald (Presbyterian) or Melania (Roman Catholic) recited the creed even after being given a copy of it when their self divulged denominations accept it.

15. ToBeLoved

+5,199
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Well I find it to be good and so does most of Christianity.

A Creed is not Biblical. But the positions or tenants of that specific one, the Nicene Creed are.

Which tenant is not Biblical in your opinion

16. ToBeLoved

+5,199
    Non-Denom
    Private
    It must not be Presidential to worship God to Trump and Trumpette.

How did we as a country get here :doh:

The Democrats are praying not the Republican

17. CherubRam

+635
    United States
    Private
    US-Others
    CF does not like for me to voice my opinion on the matter. At a later date I will ask them if I can post some certain scriptures on the subject.

18. klutedavid

klutedavid Well-Known Member

+1,761
    Non-Denom
    Single
    The Roman Catholic Church as we know it, was not really evident in church history until after the fifth century. So I would not attribute the New Testament canon to the RCC. Nor would I associate apostolic creeds to the RCC either.

People need to have a hard look at church history, the church in Rome was just another church for centuries.

19. CherubRam

+635
    United States
    Private
    US-Others
    According to Catholic tradition, the Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ

20. klutedavid

klutedavid Well-Known Member

+1,761
    Non-Denom
    Single
    That is lower case universal church, not the uppercase R.C.C. There is a very distinct difference between these church entities.