• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prostrating oneself before God?

Discussion in 'Discipleship: Following Jesus' started by Southernscotty, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Southernscotty

Southernscotty Well-Known Member Supporter Angels Team

+6,088
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Just curious if anyone else seeks to humble themselves by getting on their knees or lying on the floor to worship?
    I do not mean at the altar of your church, I mean at home in your personal prayer life.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. A_Fish_Called_Luca

A_Fish_Called_Luca Well-Known Member

+612
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Sometimes I do, though I would not think it is necessary. Perhaps it is a sign of respect?

3. Southernscotty

+6,088
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Yes I think of it as reverence to an all powerful and yet loving Father.
    I don't think we have to do this, However I feel compelled too do this sometimes so I do. It just feels right in many occasions. :]

4. mukk_in

mukk_in Let's Go Yankees! Supporter

+2,276
    India
    Christian
    Celibate
    I do, sometimes. Its just hard for me to stay on my knees for long. Peace in Christ :).

5. Emli

Emli Growing daughter of God Supporter Angels Team

+2,544
    Sweden
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    I usually don't, because I talk to God all day long, but I pray on my knees when I feel led to do it. It helps me put all of my focus on God and not be distracted, and I feel His presence a lot more when on my knees. I do it whenever I need to humble myself, because I'm being prideful or have been lazy, or when I want to pray for someone else, especially if it is a big request.

I have been on the floor many times, but not bowing like :bow:, but laying on my back crying and mourning over my sins. I've simply gotten to the point of desperation, when I really needed to just give up all of myself and just exist before God. :):swoon:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  6. Southernscotty

+6,088
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    I understand my Brother, I have arthritis and fibromyalgia. It is my thorn and some days are rough. :]

7. Southernscotty

+6,088
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Amen Sister. I am the same and it really seems to bring me into focus as well. Praise God.

8. Hermit76

Hermit76 You can call me Paisios Supporter

+851
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    For Orthodox Christians prostrations are a regular part of our public and private prayers.

9. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+12,895
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Welcome to CF. :)

As Hermit mentioned, prostrations are a standard part of Orthodox worship and have a long history in Christianity.

But yes, it is something I did on occasion even as a Protestant. It can be very humbling, and helps one to remember the majesty of God.

10. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon

+15,051
    Non-Denom
    Married
    It's the bowing of the heart Godward that really counts.

11. faroukfarouk

+15,051
    Non-Denom
    Married
    So do you ever kneel in church? (I'm not strong on the consecrated ground idea; the point is inward and spiritual sanctification.)

12. Southernscotty

+6,088
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Oh Yes, it is reverence to God and I believe in humbling myself when I am seeking Him. So I guess you can say that I do it when I feel led too.
    But like you say it is purely a inward spiritual aspect, not so much about the physical. I don't feel that it HAS to be done, but I like too on occasion. Hope this makes sense? lol
    I was just curious if anyone worshipped this way. :]

13. A_Fish_Called_Luca

A_Fish_Called_Luca Well-Known Member

+612
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Uhh I don't go to church. I used to go but I don't anymore. But I am going to force myself to go soon. When I pray at home rarely do I kneel.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  14. faroukfarouk

+15,051
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Acts 2.41-42 is a great guide to local church activities; whether one actually kneels or not isn't a really significant part, according to my 2c.

15. ~Cassia~

~Cassia~ Devoted to Truth Supporter

+10,728
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Does praying while laying in bed count? That's about the closest as I get to prostrating myself at home. The altar I often pray at the foot of during end of sermon music because it's where I feel most in touch with God.

16. Southernscotty

+6,088
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    If that is where you are comfortable and feel in touch then yes :]