Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,588.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
"whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith........" Romans 3:25

The only thing left for sinful men to do to be saved is to "believe" that they have been so propitiated by the shedding of Christ's blood.

"Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation." 2 Corinthians 5:18-19

God has reconciled the world to Himself and has sent us to call every man to be reconciled to God. The path to our reconciliation is through faith in the propitiation in Christ's blood.

Anyone who teaches something different is a heretic IMO.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know of no verses in Ezekiel that say that the propitiation of the Cross does not come through faith in the blood of Christ.

If you want to bring up some verses out of Ezekiel that you think do say that, I would be happy to discuss them with you.

Of course none say that. Ezekiel says nothing of a cross, except a river he couldn't cross.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
EmSw, do you believe that Jesus Christ came in a physical body? That He physically died on a physical Cross? Please answer this question before we go any further.

Yes and yes.

I would point out to you that Jesus ate broiled fish after He was resurrected (Luke 24:42). Also, before His death on the Cross and His subsequent resurrection, Jesus rescued Peter out of the depths of the sea by reaching out with His physical hand and catching him with it (Matthew 14:31). Physical hand there came into contact with physical hand and that physical contact kept Peter from sinking into the waves.

Have you physically drank His physical blood?

Did the disciples drink His physical at the last supper? For we read in Matthew 26, 'Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins'.

So I ask, was it His physical blood in that cup of which He said to drink? Was His blood shed at that time? Did Jesus cut Himself and let His blood drip into that cup?

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
EmSw,

Do you deny that the physical blood of Jesus was shed for the remission of our sins?

I don't doubt that it is applied spiritually by faith, without His physical blood actually needing to touch us (although it may be that this happens through transubstanitation during communion). But it only can be applied because it was physically shed from Jesus' physical body. Because Jesus actually died on the Cross.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
EmSw,

Do you deny that the physical blood of Jesus was shed for the remission of our sins?

I don't doubt that it is applied spiritually by faith, without His physical blood actually needing to touch us (although it may be that this happens through transubstanitation during communion). But it only can be applied because it was physically shed from Jesus' physical body. Because Jesus actually died on the Cross.

Did the disciples drink His physical blood? Jesus said, 'this IS My blood'. Is wine the sign of the New Covenant?

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Did the disciples drink His physical blood? Jesus said, 'this IS My blood'. Is wine the sign of the New Covenant?

You didn't answer my question.

Was the physical blood of Jesus shed for our sins or wasn't it? Did Jesus die an agonizing physical death, wherein His physical blood was shed for us, or didn't He?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Was the physical blood of Jesus shed for our sins or wasn't it? Did Jesus die an agonizing physical death, wherein His physical blood was shed for us, or didn't He?
Good question but:
Was it shed because God is blood thirsty and so it was done to satisfy His need?
Was it shed for some intangible reason like sin or death?
Was it shed because I sinned and to help me to keep from sinning?
Was it shed "for" me because I personally needed his blood outside of His body available to knowingly cleanse me and to feel and know that blood is going down my throat in the form of wine washing over my heart?
Was Christ's blood presented to me like a gift or ransom payment to satisfy a need I have to free the child within me to go to the Kingdom?

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Good question but:
Was it shed because God is blood thirsty and so it was done to satisfy His need?
Was it shed "for" me because I personally needed his blood outside of His body available to knowingly cleanse me and to feel and know that blood is going down my throat in the form of wine washing over my heart?
Was Christ's blood presented to me like a gift or ransom payment to satisfy a need I have to free the child within me to go to the Kingdom?

The blood of Christ was shed to redeem us from all iniquity (Titus 2:14), and so that Christ might purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

It has both sanctifying (Hebrews 13:12) and cleansing (1 John 1:7) power.

It justifies us (Romans 5:9) by making us righteous (Romans 5:17, Romans 5:19, 1 John 3:7) so that God can declare us righteous without lying. Either that or else, when He declares us righteous, He is calling those things which be not as though they were (Romans 4:17) and thus creating a new reality of a practical righteousness within us. As a side note, the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in those who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
EmSw, are you going to answer my question: or am I to assume that you are a gnostic in that you do not believe that Jesus came in a physical body and that His physical blood was shed on the Cross for us?

Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The blood of Christ was shed to redeem us from all iniquity (Titus 2:14), and so that Christ might purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
Just quoting Titus 2:14 does not explain how it works, but just the result of Christ giving Himself to us.
It has both sanctifying (Hebrews 13:12) and cleansing (1 John 1:7) power.

How is being cleansed different than being sanctified?

It justifies us (Romans 5:9) by making us righteous (Romans 5:17, Romans 5:19, 1 John 3:7) so that God can declare us righteous without lying. Either that or else, when He declares us righteous, He is calling those things which be not as though they were (Romans 4:17) and thus creating a new reality of a practical righteousness within us. As a side note, the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in those who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

People prior to the cross were righteous, so were they also made justified before God, because the OT does not talk about any being justified before God?

I am not finding the answer to my specific questions:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Just quoting Titus 2:14 does not explain how it works, but just the result of Christ giving Himself to us.

How is being cleansed different than being sanctified?

No, we are washed clean because of Christ's sacrifice on the cross. Through faith we receive this and are born again (John 3:3) (John 3:6) (2 Corinthians 5:17) (Colossians 2:13) (1 Peter 1:23) (Titus 3:5), pass from death to life (John 5:24), and are sealed with the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption. (Ephesians 1:13-14)

People prior to the cross were righteous, so were they also made justified before God, because the OT does not talk about any being justified before God?

Take a look at Hebrews 11 :)

I am not finding the answer to my specific questions:

Christ died on the cross for the sins of the world because God loves the world and desires that none should perish. Our salvation in Christ is a gift, freely offered, undeserved and unmerited, received by faith. Here are some more verses that should help clarify this:

"And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."
- John 3:14-18

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." - John 3:36

"Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed."

"Then said they unto him, 'What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?'"

Jesus answered and said unto them, 'This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.'" - John 6:27-29

"For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day."
- John 6:38-40

There is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1)

The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in His Son. (Romans 6:23)

Christ is the end of the Law for all who believe. (Romans 10:4)

We are saved by grace, through faith, not of works. (Ephesians 2:8)

God is not willing that any should perish, but that all would come to repentance. - 2 Peter 3:9

Repentance from "dead works" and faith toward God. - (Hebrews 6:1)

By the works of the Law no flesh will be justified, but only by faith in Christ. (Galatians 2:16)

Also read Romans 4, Romans 5, Galatians 5, Hebrews 4, Hebrews 11

Our salvation is entirely by faith in Christ and what He has done. (The Gospel) 1 Corinthians 15:1-4

I hope this helps. :)

God bless!

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, we are washed clean because of Christ's sacrifice on the cross. Through faith we receive this and are born again (John 3:3) (John 3:6) (2 Corinthians 5:17) (Colossians 2:13) (1 Peter 1:23) (Titus 3:5), pass from death to life (John 5:24), and are sealed with the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption. (Ephesians 1:13-14)

It was not a yes or no question but how sanctification differs from cleansing?

Take a look at Hebrews 11 :)

So were those OT heroes justified, because this only talks about them being righteous?

Christ died on the cross for the sins of the world because God loves the world and desires that none should perish. Our salvation in Christ is a gift, freely offered, undeserved and unmerited, received by faith. Here are some more verses that should help clarify this:

"And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."
- John 3:14-18

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." - John 3:36

"Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed."

"Then said they unto him, 'What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?'"

Jesus answered and said unto them, 'This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.'" - John 6:27-29

"For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day."
- John 6:38-40

There is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1)

The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in His Son. (Romans 6:23)

Christ is the end of the Law for all who believe. (Romans 10:4)

We are saved by grace, through faith, not of works. (Ephesians 2:8)

God is not willing that any should perish, but that all would come to repentance. - 2 Peter 3:9

Repentance from "dead works" and faith toward God. - (Hebrews 6:1)

By the works of the Law no flesh will be justified, but only by faith in Christ. (Galatians 2:16)

Also read Romans 4, Romans 5, Galatians 5, Hebrews 4, Hebrews 11

Our salvation is entirely by faith in Christ and what He has done. (The Gospel) 1 Corinthians 15:1-4

I hope this helps. :)

God bless!

These are all wonderful verses, but it would help if you just answered my specific questions?

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It was not a yes or no question but how sanctification differs from cleansing?

The two are very much linked together. Christ's sacrifice, when received by faith, cleanses us and we are then "set apart" and made right with God through Him.

So were those OT heroes justified, because this only talks about them being righteous?

They were justified by faith, just as we are.

These are all wonderful verses, but it would help if you just answered my specific questions?

Those verses do answer your questions. You were asking why Christ died on the cross, right? (Why His blood was shed).

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
All you need to do is go back to the OP to discover the answer to your question.

The reason why Christ's blood had to be shed was to satisfy the justice in God's heart. Justice requires that the full penalty for sin be paid, so He died in our place to satisfy His requirement for justice so that He could show mercy; because the wages of sin is death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The reason why Christ's blood had to be shed was to satisfy the justice in God's heart. Justice requires that the full penalty for sin be paid, so He died in our place to satisfy His requirement for justice so that He could show mercy; because the wages of sin is death.

So God has a heart problem and set up a poor system or was powerless against some rule He wrote or was weak in some way so He needed “blood” to satisfy a heart need God had? My God is in need of nothing, has no heart problem and does not set up a poor judicial system that requires blood to fulfill a need of His, since he ‘needs” nothing.

Did you make this rule up: “full penalty for sin be paid”, did God make it up or is it some cosmic “Law” God has to obey?

Can God/Christ forgive sins?

If a sin is forgiven it would be wrong to also have it paid for, because that eliminates the significance of being forgiven. If the parent or judge forgives the offence then there is no punishment paying for the crime, but there can be disciplining of even forgiven offences, best given prior to forgiveness.

Justice must be served and with a perfect well thought out Law justice and fairness can be completely merciful and righteous. If the law allows for consistent equal forgiveness under certain conditions, that does not make it unjust to forgive.

In context: Ro. 6: 23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord”. Are the “wages of sin” the second death (hell) since it is contrasted with eternal life?

We also have what is earned with sin contrasted with the gift of eternal life.

The gift is not like what is earned, so to suggest the debt of sin is paid, would also suggest the payment is for eternal life and thus not a gift but an obligation.

We may like to think about God’s judgement being similar to a judgement in court of law (with poorly written rules), but Christ wants us to think about god as our Father:

Think about this:

There is a, one of a kind, Tiffany vase on your parent’s mantel that has been handed down by your great grandmother. You, as a young person, get angry with your parents and smash the vase. You are later sorry about it and repent and your loving parent can easily forgive you. Since this was not your first rebellious action your father, in an act of Love, collects every little piece of the vase and you willingly work together with your father hours each night for a month painstakingly gluing the vase back together. The vase is returned to the mantel to be kept as a show piece, but according to Antique Road Show, it is worthless. Working with your father helped you develop a much stronger relationship, you are comfortable being around him and have a greater appreciation for his Love.

Was your father fair/just and would others see this as being fair treatment? Did this “punishment” help resolve the issue?

Was restitution made or was reconciliation made and would you feel comfortable/ justified standing by your father in the future?

Suppose after smashing the vase, repenting and forgiveness, your older brother says he will work with your father putting the vase together, so you can keep up with your social life. Would this scenario allow you to stand comfortable and justified by your father?

Suppose Jesus the magician waved his hands over the smashed vase and restored it perfectly to the previous condition, so there is really very little for you to be forgiven of or for you to do. Would this scenario allow you to stand comfortable and justified by your father?

What are the benefits of being lovingly disciplined?

Suppose it is not you that breaks the vase but your neighbor breaks into your house because he does not like your family being so nice and smashes the Tiffany vase, but he is caught on a security camera. Your father goes to your neighbor with the box of pieces and offers to do the same thing with him as he offered to do with you, but the neighbor refuses. Your father explains: everything is caught on camera and he will be fined and go to jail, but the neighbor, although sorry about being caught, still refuses. The neighbor loses all he has and spends 10 years in jail. So was the neighbor fairly disciplined or fairly punished?

How does the neighbor’s punishment equal your discipline and how is it not equal?

Was the neighbor forgiven and if not why not?

Atonement is a huge topic, but I will discuss it with you if you want?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
So God has a heart problem and set up a poor system or was powerless against some rule He wrote or was weak in some way so He needed “blood” to satisfy a heart need God had? My God is in need of nothing, has no heart problem and does not set up a poor judicial system that requires blood to fulfill a need of His, since he ‘needs” nothing.

Did you make this rule up: “full penalty for sin be paid”, did God make it up or is it some cosmic “Law” God has to obey?

Can God/Christ forgive sins?

If a sin is forgiven it would be wrong to also have it paid for, because that eliminates the significance of being forgiven. If the parent or judge forgives the offence then there is no punishment paying for the crime, but there can be disciplining of even forgiven offences, best given prior to forgiveness.

Justice must be served and with a perfect well thought out Law justice and fairness can be completely merciful and righteous. If the law allows for consistent equal forgiveness under certain conditions, that does not make it unjust to forgive.

In context: Ro. 6: 23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord”. Are the “wages of sin” the second death (hell) since it is contrasted with eternal life?

We also have what is earned with sin contrasted with the gift of eternal life.

The gift is not like what is earned, so to suggest the debt of sin is paid, would also suggest the payment is for eternal life and thus not a gift but an obligation.

We may like to think about God’s judgement being similar to a judgement in court of law (with poorly written rules), but Christ wants us to think about god as our Father:

Think about this:

There is a, one of a kind, Tiffany vase on your parent’s mantel that has been handed down by your great grandmother. You, as a young person, get angry with your parents and smash the vase. You are later sorry about it and repent and your loving parent can easily forgive you. Since this was not your first rebellious action your father, in an act of Love, collects every little piece of the vase and you willingly work together with your father hours each night for a month painstakingly gluing the vase back together. The vase is returned to the mantel to be kept as a show piece, but according to Antique Road Show, it is worthless. Working with your father helped you develop a much stronger relationship, you are comfortable being around him and have a greater appreciation for his Love.

Was your father fair/just and would others see this as being fair treatment? Did this “punishment” help resolve the issue?

Was restitution made or was reconciliation made and would you feel comfortable/ justified standing by your father in the future?

Suppose after smashing the vase, repenting and forgiveness, your older brother says he will work with your father putting the vase together, so you can keep up with your social life. Would this scenario allow you to stand comfortable and justified by your father?

Suppose Jesus the magician waved his hands over the smashed vase and restored it perfectly to the previous condition, so there is really very little for you to be forgiven of or for you to do. Would this scenario allow you to stand comfortable and justified by your father?

What are the benefits of being lovingly disciplined?

Suppose it is not you that breaks the vase but your neighbor breaks into your house because he does not like your family being so nice and smashes the Tiffany vase, but he is caught on a security camera. Your father goes to your neighbor with the box of pieces and offers to do the same thing with him as he offered to do with you, but the neighbor refuses. Your father explains: everything is caught on camera and he will be fined and go to jail, but the neighbor, although sorry about being caught, still refuses. The neighbor loses all he has and spends 10 years in jail. So was the neighbor fairly disciplined or fairly punished?

How does the neighbor’s punishment equal your discipline and how is it not equal?

Was the neighbor forgiven and if not why not?

Atonement is a huge topic, but I will discuss it with you if you want?

Christ was made a blood sacrifice, an offering for sin.
For that reason Christ came into the world.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise Him;
He has put Him to grief.
When You make His soul an offering for sin,
He shall see His seed, He shall prolong His days,
And the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in His hand.
11 He shall see the labor of His soul, and be satisfied.
By His knowledge My righteous Servant shall justify many,
For He shall bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore I will divide Him a portion with the great,
And He shall divide the spoil with the strong,
Because He poured out His soul unto death,
And He was numbered with the transgressors,
And He bore the sin of many,
And made intercession for the transgressors.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christ was made a blood sacrifice, an offering for sin.
For that reason Christ came into the world.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise Him;
He has put Him to grief.
When You make His soul an offering for sin,
He shall see His seed, He shall prolong His days,
And the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in His hand.
11 He shall see the labor of His soul, and be satisfied.
By His knowledge My righteous Servant shall justify many,
For He shall bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore I will divide Him a portion with the great,
And He shall divide the spoil with the strong,
Because He poured out His soul unto death,
And He was numbered with the transgressors,
And He bore the sin of many,
And made intercession for the transgressors.
Right Christ was the atonement sacrifice, but that does not mean Christ did everything in the atonement process for personal sins, which can be seen in Lev. 5.
Can you address my questions in post 35.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
Right Christ was the atonement sacrifice, but that does not mean Christ did everything in the atonement process for personal sins, which can be seen in Lev. 5.
Can you address my questions in post 35.

Where we differ is in who are the children of God perhaps.
In that Him bringing many sons to glory, it is God who is doing the giving of Christ, and God doing the bringing of us to Christ, so that we become brothers, part of the family of God.
That is the doctrine of election to salvation according to grace, God doing the work of us believing in the Son. And it is His choice to only bring some, not all to Christ yet God commands all men to repent and believe, even though they can not being slaves of sin. The only reason we obey from the heart, the doctrine of salvation delivered to us, is God makes us born of Himself to be no longer a natural man, but a spiritual man. Even though we were slaves of sin, God had mercy on us to make us born again, so that we could be taught and then believe in the Son, that is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.

God DOES NOT LOVINGLY DISCIPLINE ALL PEOPLE>

Hebrews 12:5-7New King James Version (NKJV)
5 And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons:

“My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord,
Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him;
6 For whom the Lord loves He chastens,
And scourges every son whom He receives.”

7 If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where we differ is in who are the children of God perhaps.
In that Him bringing many sons to glory, it is God who is doing the giving of Christ, and God doing the bringing of us to Christ, so that we become brothers, part of the family of God.
That is the doctrine of election to salvation according to grace, God doing the work of us believing in the Son. And it is His choice to only bring some, not all to Christ yet God commands all men to repent and believe, even though they can not being slaves of sin. The only reason we obey from the heart, the doctrine of salvation delivered to us, is God makes us born of Himself to be no longer a natural man, but a spiritual man. Even though we were slaves of sin, God had mercy on us to make us born again, so that we could be taught and then believe in the Son, that is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.

God DOES NOT LOVINGLY DISCIPLINE ALL PEOPLE>

Hebrews 12:5-7New King James Version (NKJV)
5 And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons:

“My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord,
Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him;
6 For whom the Lord loves He chastens,
And scourges every son whom He receives.”

7 If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten?

Acts 17: 27 so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28 for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’ 29 Therefore, since we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, something shaped by art and man’s devising. 30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent,

This is Paul’s sermon to a bunch of pagans and yet he is definitely conveying the idea every one of them and all men everywhere are God’s children.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
Acts 17: 27 so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28 for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’ 29 Therefore, since we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, something shaped by art and man’s devising. 30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent,

This is Paul’s sermon to a bunch of pagans and yet he is definitely conveying the idea every one of them and all men everywhere are God’s children.

They can not be children of God. If so then some of God's children go to hell.
Paul is using one of their pagan poets to tell them their is only one true God in heaven who made all things, they did worship many many gods and goddesses.

Paul says only one God is their creator, so 'offspring' since God made man in His image, but they do not belong to God, so they are not His children.

though He is not far from each one of us; 28 for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’

Upvote 0