Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I agree that there is a danger when prophesying using 'thus saith the Lord' or saying the word using the first person as if God is saying it directly. I simply do not believe that the prophetic inspiration that we get in our spirit carries that sort of authority. We must be careful that we don't misrepresent the Lord and put words in His mouth that He did not say.

Now, I am not saying that the prophetic word does not originate from the heart of God, but He speaks to our spirit, and then our mind has to try and interpret what our spirit has received. In my experience, I have found it much safer to speak referring to the Lord in the third person. Then I am signalling that the prophecy is coming from me. If it is then inaccurate, then I am the one to take responsibility for it.

This also means that if the voice of God speaks through the prophecy to a person's heart, then it is certainly known that it is the Lord speaking through the prophecy, even if He is not actually speaking the prophecy itself. New Testament prophecy is more about what God is saying to a person's heart through the prophetic word. It is only prophetic if the person receiving it acknowledges that it is so for him or her.

I think that giving prophecies in the first person as if God is saying it directly comes from the traditional Pentecostal teaching on prophecy. It comes from a misunderstanding of the nature of NT prophecy, and indicates that the understanding of prophecy is based on OT prophecy, which has passed away with the fulfilment of the Old Covenant.

I take the position that if a prophecy is given to me using the first person, then it is wrong for me and I can safely ignore it. Giving a prophecy like that forces an authority onto me that I don't need to accept. It is a reflection of the erroneous teaching about spritual authority, especially taught by Watchman Nee, that believers can use the authority of God to direct and control other believers. This is nothing but power, control and manipulative tactics on the part of those who get off on having power over others.

Even when giving a word of knowledge, with the sense of authority in the spirit that comes with it, is given in humility, and not overlaying with a pseudo 'authority', but rather allowing the words themselves to resonate within the receiver's heart.

Now having said all that, the prophecy that came out of the group in Antioch saying, "Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." was given in the first person. Or was it the writer's interpretation of a number of prophecies that rang true in the hearts of the group?

Upvote 0

millerrod

Contributor
Dec 10, 2005
I try to live in obidence to god some days i fail
✟15,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Slaped if you do, slaped if you dont, if the Lord gives you something to say ,you i would think should give credit to God whos words they are, but if you do your wrong [ according to man] but if you dont claim they are the Lords words then you are taking credit for words that are not your own [ according to man ].
The Bible doesnt instruct in detail how to deliver a message from God it just says DELIVER it. Leave it up to man to try to box it up and make a doctrine out of it.
Deliver it and if its from God give the credit to God and then duck :swoon:

Upvote 0

spiritlead

May 25, 2007
Upland, Ca
✟16,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Slaped if you do, slaped if you dont, if the Lord gives you something to say ,you i would think should give credit to God whos words they are, but if you do your wrong [ according to man] but if you dont claim they are the Lords words then you are taking credit for words that are not your own [ according to man ].
The Bible doesnt instruct in detail how to deliver a message from God it just says DELIVER it. Leave it up to man to try to box it up and make a doctrine out of it.
Deliver it and if its from God give the credit to God and then duck :swoon:

:amen: :D "Its no longer I who lives, but Christ, who lives in me" Galations2:20

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.