Proof: You were only forgiven of your past sins!

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Short answer...I don't believe that people who commit sin have the Holy Ghost.
You do.
I've proved it from the Bible. But you continue to ignore all the verses I've shared.

You say people who believe get the Holy Ghost.
Let's be clear here. The Bible says it. Gal 3:2,5. Why don't you read it for yourself.

I don't, as the Samaritans and the twelve at Ephesus can corroborate.
It's obvious that you are quite unfamiliar with the transition period between the age of Israel and the church. Which keeps you very confused.

You believe that those reborn from the seed of God will commit sin.
I was very clear. Only when they are grieving/quenching the Spirit, and out of fellowship. Which I showed form Scripture.

I don't believe that for a second as His seed remains in them.
The problem is your ignorance of how the power of the Holy Spirit is accessed.

You seem to think it is on-going. There is no Scripture that supports your opinions.

"And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption." (Eph 4:30}
Why do you continue to ignore the real meaning from the Greek? Paul didn't write Ephesians in English.

The command in the Greek is a command to STOP. Not a command to "not start".

I think your main difficulty is your opinion that at salvation, the sin nature is gone. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Again, Paul wrote Romans 7 in the PRESENT TENSE. Do you understand what that means? Seems not.

And, Gal 5:16 proves your opinion to be incorrect.

"So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh."

iow, believers who are in fellowship and walking by the Spirit, WON'T gratify the desires of the flesh.

However, believers who grieve/quench the Spirit, are out of fellowship, and NOT walking by the Spirit, and WILL gratify the desires of the flesh.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've proved it from the Bible. But you continue to ignore all the verses I've shared.

Let's be clear here. The Bible says it. Gal 3:2,5. Why don't you read it for yourself.

It's obvious that you are quite unfamiliar with the transition period between the age of Israel and the church. Which keeps you very confused.

I was very clear. Only when they are grieving/quenching the Spirit, and out of fellowship. Which I showed form Scripture.

The problem is your ignorance of how the power of the Holy Spirit is accessed.

You seem to think it is on-going. There is no Scripture that supports your opinions.

Why do you continue to ignore the real meaning from the Greek? Paul didn't write Ephesians in English.

The command in the Greek is a command to STOP. Not a command to "not start".

I think your main difficulty is your opinion that at salvation, the sin nature is gone. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Again, Paul wrote Romans 7 in the PRESENT TENSE. Do you understand what that means? Seems not.

And, Gal 5:16 proves your opinion to be incorrect.

"So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh."

iow, believers who are in fellowship and walking by the Spirit, WON'T gratify the desires of the flesh.

However, believers who grieve/quench the Spirit, are out of fellowship, and NOT walking by the Spirit, and WILL gratify the desires of the flesh.
Those who are reborn of God's seed cannot commit sin.
Why?
Because His seed remaineth in them. (1 John 3:9)
Your sinning "believers" are not born of God.
Neither are those who grieve the Spirit or get out of fellowship with God.
Neither are those who haven't killed the old man and his nature. (2 Cor 5:17)

Romans 7 is written in both the present tense and the present-narrative tense.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Those who are reborn of God's seed cannot commit sin.
Why?
Because His seed remaineth in them. (1 John 3:9)
Because you refuse to accept the fact that believers STILL have their fleshly (sinful) nature, you are unable to grasp the truth of Scripture.

Your sinning "believers" are not born of God.
Even if I accept your premise that the commands "do not grieve/quench the Spirit" mean "don't start", which I don't, can you explain WHY God would even bother to say such a thing if a truly born again saved believer cannot sin? I think not.

The very fact of these commands refutes your notions.

Neither are those who grieve the Spirit or get out of fellowship with God.
Then please explain WHY the commands were given to believers. :scratch:

Neither are those who haven't killed the old man and his nature. (2 Cor 5:17)
How did you kill your old man?

Romans 7 is written in both the present tense and the present-narrative tense.
What are you talking about? Where do you get this so-called "present-narrative tense"?

The FACT is that Paul was describing himself in the present tense. You can't get around that.

Or 1 Tim 1:15 - Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.

If your notions were correct, Paul would have had to write "I WAS the worst". "But now I don't sin anymore"

But he didn't. For a reason. He still struggled with his sinful nature.

And you have still ignored Gal 5:16 - So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

You're not seeing both sides of the coin.

Those believers who DO walk by the Spirit (in fellowship and filled) DO NOT gratify the desires of the flesh.

However, those believers who DO NOT walk by the Spirit (out of fellowship and grieving/quenching the Spirit) DO gratify the desires of the flesh.

And the same question remains with Gal 5:16; why would God give this verse to believers, if all true believers do walk by the Spirit. There should be no issue about gratifying the desires of the flesh.

But you can't answer the questions about these verses because you don't have an answer for them.

So you ignore them.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because you refuse to accept the fact that believers STILL have their fleshly (sinful) nature, you are unable to grasp the truth of Scripture.
As Paul wrote..."I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Gal 2:20)
I am dead, crucified with Christ. It is written..."Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
For he that is dead is freed from sin." (Rom 6:6-7)
I grasp the truth of scripture just fine, thank you.

Even if I accept your premise that the commands "do not grieve/quench the Spirit" mean "don't start", which I don't, can you explain WHY God would even bother to say such a thing if a truly born again saved believer cannot sin? I think not.
That is what fellowship and exhortations and teachings are for...to keep us on track.

Look both ways before crossing a street!
Does that mean you have been skipping this important cautionary move?

How did you kill your old man?
He was crucified with Christ when I was baptized into Christ and into His death, burial, and was raised with Him to walk in newness of life. (Rom 6:3-6)
It is written..."And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." (Gal 5:24)

What are you talking about? Where do you get this so-called "present-narrative tense"?
Romans 7 is a transitional point between the life lived in the flesh, (which ends in Romans 6), and our walk in the Spirit instead of in the flesh, (which starts in Romans 8).
Paul narrates his life as a Jew, trying to be righteous by the law...and failing.
His anguish culminates in verse 24..."O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?"
Who?
God: In Romans 6:6-7..."Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
For he that is dead is freed from sin."
"Body of this death" is the "body of sin".

Or 1 Tim 1:15 - Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.
He was indeed the worst, as he ONCE persecuted the church BEFORE his conversion.
Paul wasn't still doing that sin or any other sin after he came to faith in Christ Jesus.

If your notions were correct, Paul would have had to write "I WAS the worst". "But now I don't sin anymore"
He will always be the worst man saved form his sins.

And you have still ignored Gal 5:16 - So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
So, I walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh. (Thanks for the exhortation Paul!)

You're not seeing both sides of the coin.
Pick the side of th coin you identify with.
Spirit or flesh?

Those believers who DO walk by the Spirit (in fellowship and filled) DO NOT gratify the desires of the flesh.
Amen.

However, those believers who DO NOT walk by the Spirit (out of fellowship and grieving/quenching the Spirit) DO gratify the desires of the flesh.
If they were believers, they would manifest it by NOT WALKING IN THE FLESH.

And the same question remains with Gal 5:16; why would God give this verse to believers, if all true believers do walk by the Spirit. There should be no issue about gratifying the desires of the flesh.
Paul's letters, and the bible now, are not addressed solely to believers.
They are here for the education of all men.

Please look both ways before you cross the streets.
Does that mean you don't?

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
As Paul wrote..."I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Gal 2:20)
I am dead, crucified with Christ. It is written..."Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
For he that is dead is freed from sin." (Rom 6:6-7)
I grasp the truth of scripture just fine, thank you.
No, actually, you don't grasp the truth just fine. You're welcome.

You've ignored/avoided all the verses I've shared that show that warnings against sin are to believers. If your view were correct, there would be no need, and, in fact, such warnings would be actually stupid and non-sensical.

I'll share another verse that you are free to ignore.

Eph 4:17 - So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking.

And this is what immediately follows:
18 They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts.
19 Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, and they are full of greed.
20 That, however, is not the way of life you learned
21 when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus.

v.17 is as clear as can be. Paul is commanding believers to STOP acting like unbelievers.

That is what fellowship and exhortations and teachings are for...to keep us on track.
Again, you're not being consistent. Out of one side of your mouth you claim saved born again people will not sin, and then out of the other side of your mouth you claim exhortations are "to keep us on track".

Romans 7 is a transitional point between the life lived in the flesh, (which ends in Romans 6), and our walk in the Spirit instead of in the flesh, (which starts in Romans 8).
Paul narrates his life as a Jew, trying to be righteous by the law...and failing.
His anguish culminates in verse 24..."O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?"
Who?
God: In Romans 6:6-7..."Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
For he that is dead is freed from sin."
"Body of this death" is the "body of sin".
Romans 7 is an explanation of the CURRENT LIFE of believers, the struggle between the sinful nature and the new nature.

He was indeed the worst, as he ONCE persecuted the church BEFORE his conversion.
Except Paul didn't write "was". He wrote "I AM". But you are ignoring what the Bible actually says, in favor of your own ideas and biases.

Paul wasn't still doing that sin or any other sin after he came to faith in Christ Jesus.
This is beyond naive. Romans 7 was written in the present tense, whether you like it or not. And 1 Tim 1:15 was also written in the present tense.

So, I walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh. (Thanks for the exhortation Paul!)
Can you explain exactly HOW you "walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh"?

Further, please explain why Paul would even have to make this exhortation is your view that regenerated believers cannot or will not sin.

Pick the side of th coin you identify with.
Spirit or flesh?
Both, of course. Since believers still have the sinful nature, from which our sins come from, and our new nature, regenerated, which cannot sin.

If they were believers, they would manifest it by NOT WALKING IN THE FLESH.
Are you forgetting that Paul wrote Gal 5:16 to believers?

Paul's letters, and the bible now, are not addressed solely to believers.
Specifically, all his epistles were to believers. Or maybe you haven't read his salutations.

They are here for the education of all men.
That is nonsense, since no unbelievers would have even had an opportunity to read any of them.

Aren't you aware that his letters were written to groups of believers in various cities?

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, actually, you don't grasp the truth just fine. You're welcome.
You've ignored/avoided all the verses I've shared that show that warnings against sin are to believers. If your view were correct, there would be no need, and, in fact, such warnings would be actually stupid and non-sensical.
Who is it that adheres to the teachings on avoiding sin?
The believers.

I'll share another verse that you are free to ignore.
Eph 4:17 - So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking.
So don't!
Now, "you" are not doing it anymore...and the scripture remains !
Neither are you an unbeliever nor are you still doing the things we are warned about.
Just because a warning is present doesn't mean we have been ignoring it.

And this is what immediately follows:
18 They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts.
19 Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, and they are full of greed.
20 That, however, is not the way of life you learned
21 when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus.
v.17 is as clear as can be. Paul is commanding believers to STOP acting like unbelievers.
If you think the whole church at Ephesus was still acting like the Gentiles, why do you think they were believers?
What could they have been believing?

Again, you're not being consistent. Out of one side of your mouth you claim saved born again people will not sin, and then out of the other side of your mouth you claim exhortations are "to keep us on track".
I thank God for Paul's exhortations and warnings, as the devil lurks at every corner.
Saved, born again people, respect the exhortations.
We can't hear them enough.

Romans 7 is an explanation of the CURRENT LIFE of believers, the struggle between the sinful nature and the new nature.
Except Paul didn't write "was". He wrote "I AM". But you are ignoring what the Bible actually says, in favor of your own ideas and biases.
If you prefer an interpretation that guarantees more sin from an alleged believer...power to you.
I prefer the opposite life style.

This is beyond naive. Romans 7 was written in the present tense, whether you like it or not.
Is verse 23 in the present tense?
"But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members." (Rom 7:23)
If it were in the present tense, then Romans 8:2 is a lie.
"For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death." (Rom 8:2)
Paul is narrating a past life condition which he explains was cured in Rom 8:2.

[QCan you explain exactly HOW you "walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh"?

Further, please explain why Paul would even have to make this exhortation is your view that regenerated believers cannot or will not sin.
Rules state that I can't promote a sin free life, so I won't use that as the "way".

Both, of course. Since believers still have the sinful nature, from which our sins come from, and our new nature, regenerated, which cannot sin.
I guess "they" have never been taught how the old man is killed. (Rom 6:3-7)

Are you forgetting that Paul wrote Gal 5:16 to believers?
Specifically, all his epistles were to believers. Or maybe you haven't read his salutations.
It is written to all men,
Do this, don't do that.
Do this, don't do that.
Why do Paul's exhortations bother you so much?
"Look both ways before crossing the street!"
Can you hear that too many times?

That is nonsense, since no unbelievers would have even had an opportunity to read any of them.
Aren't you aware that his letters were written to groups of believers in various cities?
I lived in San Diego when I first read these exhortations and warnings...and I was an unbeliever.
BTW, not all the folks in attendance in Paul's churches were true believers.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Who is it that adheres to the teachings on avoiding sin?
The believers.
This is what I said, which it seems you have missed completely:
"You've ignored/avoided all the verses I've shared that show that warnings against sin are to believers. If your view were correct, there would be no need, and, in fact, such warnings would be actually stupid and non-sensical."

Please address WHY Paul wrote Gal 5:16 IF your view was correct and believers cannot sin.

So don't!
Now, "you" are not doing it anymore...and the scripture remains !
But, again, WHY would Paul have to say such a thing IF believers cannot sin? Your view is contradictory to what Paul writes. Please explain.

Neither are you an unbeliever nor are you still doing the things we are warned about.
Just because a warning is present doesn't mean we have been ignoring it.
The FACT is that a warning IS PRESENT. Something not to do. But your view is that believers cannot sin. So WHY such a warning?

Kinda like a warning to keep breathing, or a command to keep breathing.

How sensible is that?

If you think the whole church at Ephesus was still acting like the Gentiles, why do you think they were believers?
Because Paul made that clear, is why.

Eph 1:1 - Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To God’s holy people in Ephesus, the faithful in Christ Jesus:

He wrote to "God's holy people", "the faithful in Christ".

Now, explain WHY he wrote Gal 4:17 - So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking.

Paul was INSISTING that they 'no longer live as the Gentiles do'.

Mention of "Gentiles" is a reference to pagans, unbelievers.

Your view has a lot of explaining to do. Which I don't think can be done.

What could they have been believing?
They were "God's holy people", meaning they were saved and had the Holy Spirit in them.

I thank God for Paul's exhortations and warnings, as the devil lurks at every corner.
Saved, born again people, respect the exhortations.
We can't hear them enough.
You keep missing the fact that the warnings speak of the real possibility of sin. Which you have been denying.

If you prefer an interpretation that guarantees more sin from an alleged believer...power to you.
Pure nonsense. I'm simply showing you the reality of life. Which you seem to be in denial of.

I prefer the opposite life style.
You prefer a fantasy world, it seems.

Is verse 23 in the present tense?
"But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members." (Rom 7:23)
Yes, it is. Paul didn't write, "I SAW", but "I SEE".

If it were in the present tense, then Romans 8:2 is a lie.
"For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death." (Rom 8:2)

Let's look at John 5:24 for an explanation of the principle of Rom 8:2.

“Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

The red words indicate a past tense action of current believers; they HAVE crossed from spiritual death to eternal life. This is what Paul was referring to in Rom 8:2.

Paul is narrating a past life condition which he explains was cured in Rom 8:2.
What was "cured" was the penalty of sin. When a person believes, they have been saved from the penalty of sin.

iow, the "law of sin" in Rom 8:2 is the PENALTY OF SIN. At faith in Christ, that penalty is removed. The believer is NO LONGER under the penalty of sin.

Paul NEVER said that believers no longer sin.

I asked:
"Can you explain exactly HOW you "walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh"?"

Your answer:
"Rules state that I can't promote a sin free life, so I won't use that as the "way"."

What are you talking about, these "rules"?

It is obvious that you can't answer my question, so you hide behind 'rules'.

I guess "they" have never been taught how the old man is killed. (Rom 6:3-7)
That was my question. Teach me how to kill the old man.

It is written to all men,
Do this, don't do that.
Do this, don't do that.
Why do Paul's exhortations bother you so much?
What are you talking about? The FACT is that Paul's commands and exhortations REFUTE your views, and you can't explain WHY he made them, if believers cannot sin.

"Look both ways before crossing the street!"
Can you hear that too many times?
What is your point here? Obviously your statement means we have choices to make. Which is my point about sin. We choose to sin. That's what the Bible says is possible, and you deny.

I should think Paul's exhortations should bother you a whole lot. But you seem oblivious to all this.

I lived in San Diego when I first read these exhortations and warnings...and I was an unbeliever.
Point?

BTW, not all the folks in attendance in Paul's churches were true believers.
Sorry but that dog don't hunt.

During Paul's missionary work, evangelism occurred outside the churches, which were house churches. He preached in synagogues and public places. It was after people believed, that they joined in these house churches.

Not anything like we have today.

But, just to assume your point is valid and Paul was writing to unbelievers about not sinning, what would be the point?

What does it benefit an unbeliever to reduce his/her sinning? Seriously.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is what I said, which it seems you have missed completely:
Apparently.
Your point seems to be that if exhortations and warnings are delivered to us it is because we sin.
Is that right?

"You've ignored/avoided all the verses I've shared that show that warnings against sin are to believers. If your view were correct, there would be no need, and, in fact, such warnings would be actually stupid and non-sensical."
I don't know why you think it unnecessary or stupid.
By hearing the warnings, we stay on our toes to a greater degree.
There is a war for our souls going on, and every exhortation strengthens us against the devil's ways.

Please address WHY Paul wrote Gal 5:16 IF your view was correct and believers cannot sin.
To keep them glorifying God.
People get lazy, or careless without "practice".
Can a guitar player stay sharp without practice?
Neither will a believer without prayer, reading, study, leadership, fellowship, exhortations...etc.

But, again, WHY would Paul have to say such a thing IF believers cannot sin? Your view is contradictory to what Paul writes. Please explain.
The FACT is that a warning IS PRESENT. Something not to do. But your view is that believers cannot sin. So WHY such a warning?

Kinda like a warning to keep breathing, or a command to keep breathing.
Because without exhortation and warning believers turn into unbelievers.
Or more accurately, the hidden unbelief comes out, manifested by sin.

How sensible is that?
Because Paul made that clear, is why.
Eph 1:1 - Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To God’s holy people in Ephesus, the faithful in Christ Jesus:
He wrote to "God's holy people", "the faithful in Christ".
Now, explain WHY he wrote Gal 4:17 - So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking.
Paul was INSISTING that they 'no longer live as the Gentiles do'.
Mention of "Gentiles" is a reference to pagans, unbelievers.
Your view has a lot of explaining to do. Which I don't think can be done.
They were "God's holy people", meaning they were saved and had the Holy Spirit in them.
You keep missing the fact that the warnings speak of the real possibility of sin. Which you have been denying.
I'll accept any and every warning not to slip into a lazy "gate keeper" syndrome.
It is on me to keep myself pure, and Paul's, and other's warnings keep me/us from going outside the lines.
There is a real possibility to sin, even to those who manifest Christ's life, and death, every day of their new lives.
We are to endure till the end, but not all will.

Not everyone in those new churches Paul was writing to had all the knowledge and incites Paul possessed.
Teaching were imperative for those "changing teams"...so to speak.

Let's look at John 5:24 for an explanation of the principle of Rom 8:2.
“Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

The red words indicate a past tense action of current believers; they HAVE crossed from spiritual death to eternal life. This is what Paul was referring to in Rom 8:2.
I agree with your assessment of John 5:24.
But Rom 8:2 is the answer to Paul's Romans 7 lament in verse 23..."But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members."
Rom 8:2 tells us that he is now free from "that" law by another law...the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus.
It is proof that Rom 7:23 was NOT in the present tense.
It was part of his narrative about how life WAS as a Jew.

What was "cured" was the penalty of sin. When a person believes, they have been saved from the penalty of sin.
Better yet, they are freed from service to sin. (John 8:32-34)

iow, the "law of sin" in Rom 8:2 is the PENALTY OF SIN. At faith in Christ, that penalty is removed. The believer is NO LONGER under the penalty of sin.
As long as that "believer" never commits another sin, you are right.

Paul NEVER said that believers no longer sin.
Oh ya?
"Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame." (1 Cor 15:34)
“Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.”
For he that is dead is freed from sin.” (Rom.6:6-7)
"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." (Rom 8:1)
"Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity." (2 Tim 2:19)
"Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;" (1 Peter 4:1)
I added one exhortation from Peter, and have more from John and James.

I asked:
"Can you explain exactly HOW you "walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh"?"
Your answer:
"Rules state that I can't promote a sin free life, so I won't use that as the "way"."
What are you talking about, these "rules"?
A moderator made an appearance in another thread, informing us that "sinless perfection" is a banned topic here.
As that is the answer to your previous question, it behooved me to skirt the issue.

That was my question. Teach me how to kill the old man.
It is most concisely spelled out in Romans 6:3-7...
"Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin."
We kill the old man by joining with Christ in the crucifixion.
We are buried with Christ, and we are raised with Christ to walk in newness of life.
Reborn of Godly seed.
Seed that cannot bear evil fruit.

What are you talking about? The FACT is that Paul's commands and exhortations REFUTE your views, and you can't explain WHY he made them, if believers cannot sin.
Are you one of those people who complains because there are so many life preservers on cruise ships?
Or one of those people who complains about the flight stewardess telling you how to fasten your seat belt?
I think you must be...
Paul provides a road map for our behavior, for our safety, and it would suit you well to adhere to it.

What is your point here? Obviously your statement means we have choices to make. Which is my point about sin. We choose to sin. That's what the Bible says is possible, and you deny.
I should think Paul's exhortations should bother you a whole lot. But you seem oblivious to all this.
Point?
Sorry but that dog don't hunt.
As you are again not bracketing what you are responding to, I can't follow along.

During Paul's missionary work, evangelism occurred outside the churches, which were house churches. He preached in synagogues and public places. It was after people believed, that they joined in these house churches.
Not anything like we have today.
But, just to assume your point is valid and Paul was writing to unbelievers about not sinning, what would be the point?
What does it benefit an unbeliever to reduce his/her sinning? Seriously.
It shows them what will be expected of them if they decide to submit to God.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Apparently.
Your point seems to be that if exhortations and warnings are delivered to us it is because we sin.
Is that right?
Of course. Why else would exhorrtations be given if behavior is automatic?

When was the last time someone exhorted you to breathe? Does that make sense?

If true regenerated Christians don't sin, why the exhortation to not sin? Don't you see the huge contradiction?

I don't know why you think it unnecessary or stupid.
By hearing the warnings, we stay on our toes to a greater degree.
But why is that necessary if true regenerated Christians don't sin?

There is a war for our souls going on, and every exhortation strengthens us against the devil's ways.
Well, that's my point exactly. There IS a war. Between our sinful natural nature and our new born again nature.

Because without exhortation and warning believers turn into unbelievers.
Or more accurately, the hidden unbelief comes out, manifested by sin.
OK, now you're back to your former opinion. So, again, WHY exhort against sin if true regenerated Christians don't sin?

I'll accept any and every warning not to slip into a lazy "gate keeper" syndrome.
It is on me to keep myself pure, and Paul's, and other's warnings keep me/us from going outside the lines.
There is a real possibility to sin, even to those who manifest Christ's life, and death, every day of their new lives.
OK, fine. That's my point. There is a real possibility to sin, and every Christian does sin. Some more than others.

We are to endure till the end, but not all will.
Do you know the context for the verse about enduring to the end?

I agree with your assessment of John 5:24.
And it parallels Rom 8:2 about the "law of sin" that the believer is dead to.

But Rom 8:2 is the answer to Paul's Romans 7 lament in verse 23..."But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members."
Rom 8:2 tells us that he is now free from "that" law by another law...the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus.
No, Rom 8:2 tells us that we are free from the penalty of sin.

It is proof that Rom 7:23 was NOT in the present tense.
Uh, what word are you referring to? Please be more specific and much less vague.

It was part of his narrative about how life WAS as a Jew.
Wrong again. The whole chapter was written in the present tense by Paul.

Better yet, they are freed from service to sin. (John 8:32-34)
We are freed from the penalty of sin.

Here is John 8:32-34
32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
33 They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?”
34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

Where do you see anything about being "freed from service to sin" in these verses???

As long as that "believer" never commits another sin, you are right.
Just read 1 John 1:8,10
8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

Which is why we have this verse-
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Oh ya?
"Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame." (1 Cor 15:34)
“Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.”
For he that is dead is freed from sin.” (Rom.6:6-7)
"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." (Rom 8:1)
"Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity." (2 Tim 2:19)
"Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;" (1 Peter 4:1)
I added one exhortation from Peter, and have more from John and James.
Of course there are many exhortations to not sin. But we have 1 John 1:9 because we DO sin and need a solution to it.

A moderator made an appearance in another thread, informing us that "sinless perfection" is a banned topic here.
As that is the answer to your previous question, it behooved me to skirt the issue.
It's banned because it's not taught in the Bible.

Are you one of those people who complains because there are so many life preservers on cruise ships?
Why are your questions so irrelevant to our discussion?

Or one of those people who complains about the flight stewardess telling you how to fasten your seat belt?
I think you must be...
Since you know very little about me, your opinions are irrelevant. And wrong, btw.

Paul provides a road map for our behavior, for our safety, and it would suit you well to adhere to it.
Don't worry. I do. But it's interesting how much of the Scripture I've shared with you that you won't even address or engage. I think we all know why.

As you are again not bracketing what you are responding to, I can't follow along.
Nonsense. Just look at every post I have made to you. Your comments are always in a box. Maybe it's just you that don't understand how these forums work.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course. Why else would exhorrtations be given if behavior is automatic?

This seems to be the main point of your POV, so here goes.
"Automatic" is a bit of a misnomer.
When you were born the first time, could you walk, play catch, read, drive?
God puts no greater load on us than what we can bear, but as we grow in grace and knowledge the load grows too.
Exhortations to believers are done in order to strengthen and clarify prior teachings.
They are meant to keep us on our toes, and to give us a basis for being able to judge those around us.
Don't lie, don't steal, don't kill.
While these exhortations may seem unnecessary, they all lead into other applications.
Don't kill...keeps Christians away from wars. Away from police jobs, and other circumstances that may require violence against man.
Don't lie...may seen natural in a face to face situation, but what about situations that are not quite so black and white?
Say the cops come unjustly looking for your husband. (?)
Do you give him up or lie about his location?
A Christian will not lie...but there is no reason to give any answer at all.
Thanks to the exhortations, your actions can be premeditated during study and prayer afore time.
I have no problem hearing the words..."Look both ways" everyday.
Why do you?

Not everyone at the sites Paul wrote to was a real Christian.
A quick recap of 1 Corinthians should prove that.
If the real ones saw a supposed brother defying a commandment, they could bring him to the bishop/elders in order find out his motive and get him in line, and to keep the church pure.

How will you determine which sect is the right one without exhortations and warnings?
Look at the thread about women preachers and determine which side is God's side.
Without the writings of Paul, it would be up to us which dogmas we back or reject.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This seems to be the main point of your POV, so here goes.
"Automatic" is a bit of a misnomer.
When you were born the first time, could you walk, play catch, read, drive?
God puts no greater load on us than what we can bear, but as we grow in grace and knowledge the load grows too.
Exhortations to believers are done in order to strengthen and clarify prior teachings.
They are meant to keep us on our toes, and to give us a basis for being able to judge those around us.
Don't lie, don't steal, don't kill.
While these exhortations may seem unnecessary, they all lead into other applications.
Don't kill...keeps Christians away from wars. Away from police jobs, and other circumstances that may require violence against man.
Don't lie...may seen natural in a face to face situation, but what about situations that are not quite so black and white?
Say the cops come unjustly looking for your husband. (?)
Do you give him up or lie about his location?
A Christian will not lie...but there is no reason to give any answer at all.
Thanks to the exhortations, your actions can be premeditated during study and prayer afore time.
You still miss the whole point. Exhortations are to get people to STOP certain actions, or not start them.

Your pov is that Christians do not sin. So there would be no need for warnings, exhortations, etc.

I have no problem hearing the words..."Look both ways" everyday.
Why do you?
Why do you erroneously think I have a problem with this? Your "perception" of what I think seems to be quite flawed.

Not everyone at the sites Paul wrote to was a real Christian.
What evidence do you have for this opinion? Just look at the salutation of Paul's epistles.

A quick recap of 1 Corinthians should prove that.
If the real ones saw a supposed brother defying a commandment, they could bring him to the bishop/elders in order find out his motive and get him in line, and to keep the church pure.
How do you get an unbeliever "in line"? Do you even hear what you are saying?

Let's look at who Paul wrote to in 1 Cor:
1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes,
2 To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours:

If you don't understand who Paul was writing to, then there's no point in further discussion. Paul was NOT writing to any unbelievers.

How will you determine which sect is the right one without exhortations and warnings?
My guide is the Bible. And I don't look for "sects".

Look at the thread about women preachers and determine which side is God's side.
I already know what the Bible says about that.

Without the writings of Paul, it would be up to us which dogmas we back or reject.
You're still avoiding the problem created by your pov. If Christians don't sin, then there is no need for exhortations or warnings.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You still miss the whole point. Exhortations are to get people to STOP certain actions, or not start them.
I agree with that.
"or not start them" is pretty crucial.

Your pov is that Christians do not sin. So there would be no need for warnings, exhortations, etc.
I don't know why you think it unnecessary.
The more you here something relative to the ways and means of ensuring salvation the better.
Sometimes situations arise that may be OK for one man but not another.
How do Christians decide who is right?
Exhortations and warnings from men of God.

Why do you erroneously think I have a problem with this? Your "perception" of what I think seems to be quite flawed.
What is "this"?

What evidence do you have for this opinion? Just look at the salutation of Paul's epistles.
Which opinion?

How do you get an unbeliever "in line"? Do you even hear what you are saying?
The same way I was brought into line.
Hearing the scriptures and adhering to the exhortations and warnings.
I remain a Christian by continuing to heed the warnings etc.

Let's look at who Paul wrote to in 1 Cor:
1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes,
2 To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours:
If you don't understand who Paul was writing to, then there's no point in further discussion. Paul was NOT writing to any unbelievers.
He was writing to people who were in the midst of schisms concerning who baptized them.
People committing adultery with in-laws.
People going to the civil authorities instead of the elders of the church.
Jesus Christ is not the Lord of those people...unless they will have a real repentance from sin.

My guide is the Bible. And I don't look for "sects".
A bible full of exhortations and warnings...or have you simply crossed them all out?

You're still avoiding the problem created by your pov. If Christians don't sin, then there is no need for exhortations or warnings.
The people reborn of God's seed are heeding the exhortations and warnings!
A fall from grace is only a step away.
We are in the middle of a war for our souls. The devil uses everything at his disposal to trick, extort, over-occupy, lull, rationalize, and lie in an attempt to get us to do one more sin.

Do you know how to drive a car?
Yet there are a hundred signs exhorting and warning us every mile of our journey.
Are they unnecessary too?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree with that.
"or not start them" is pretty crucial.
But even "not start" refutes your opinion. If a believer cannot sin, then WHY bother to tell one to "not start"?? You still have not answered this question.

I said:
"Your pov is that Christians do not sin. So there would be no need for warnings, exhortations, etc."
I don't know why you think it unnecessary.
Amazing. If a believer cannot sin, it is unnecessary to tell them not to start sinning. How can you not see the absurdity of it?

The more you here something relative to the ways and means of ensuring salvation the better.
I don't see how any of this is relevant to the discussion. If sinning is impossible for the believer, then it is UNNECESSARY to tell them to not start, or to stop it.

Sometimes situations arise that may be OK for one man but not another.
Are you trying to justify sin in certain cases??

How do Christians decide who is right?
Whatever is not of faith is sin. James 4:17

Exhortations and warnings from men of God.
What's to warn against if one cannot sin??

What is "this"?
Your frequent repetition of "look both ways before crossing the street".

Which opinion?
Your opinion that Paul was addressing unbelievers in his epistles.

I asked:
"How do you get an unbeliever "in line"? Do you even hear what you are saying?"
The same way I was brought into line.
Hearing the scriptures and adhering to the exhortations and warnings.
So you think an unbeliever becomes a Christian by not sinning??? Really? What Scripture supports your opinion?

I remain a Christian by continuing to heed the warnings etc.
Where does the Bible state that one "remains a Christian" by doing anything??

Obviously you don't believe what Jesus said about those He gives eternal life. That they shall never perish. John 10:28.

He was writing to people who were in the midst of schisms concerning who baptized them.
People committing adultery with in-laws.
People going to the civil authorities instead of the elders of the church.
Jesus Christ is not the Lord of those people...unless they will have a real repentance from sin.
So you don't believe Paul's salutation and who he specifically indicated, as sanctified in Christ, called to be holy people, and those who call on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

A bible full of exhortations and warnings...or have you simply crossed them all out?
Of course not. How silly. By adhering to the warning and exhortations, the believer will be rewarded in eternity.

The people reborn of God's seed are heeding the exhortations and warnings!
Not all of them. In fact, not most of them.

A fall from grace is only a step away.
Bingo! But such a fall isn't a loss of salvation.

We are in the middle of a war for our souls. The devil uses everything at his disposal to trick, extort, over-occupy, lull, rationalize, and lie in an attempt to get us to do one more sin.
Why do you think sin defines whether a person is a Christian or not? You have zero evidence from Scripture for that.

Do you know how to drive a car?
Yet there are a hundred signs exhorting and warning us every mile of our journey.
Are they unnecessary too?
Again, how silly. I've just told you WHY the Bible has warnings and exhortations.

Your example doesn't even come close to being an analogy to spiritual things.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But even "not start" refutes your opinion. If a believer cannot sin, then WHY bother to tell one to "not start"?? You still have not answered this question..
It is a loving, caring way to nurture believer's growth in knowledge and grace.
Do you also feel that bishops/pastors, prophets, and interpreters of tongues are unnecessary?
The exhortations and warnings in scripture are just that...exhortations and warnings.
We may know not to do certain things, but to hear the commands of God a few thousand times in life makes the commands more real.
It enhances our strength to maintain the proper ways of life.
And it isn't just the believers who hear these warnings, the unbelievers also hear and can expect to adhere to the things of God when/if they convert.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It is a loving, caring way to nurture believer's growth in knowledge and grace.
Of course that's what exhortations and warnings are for. But you continue to miss the whole point.

If a Christian cannot sin (your pov) then ANY kind of warning is irrelevant and unnecessary. There would be NOTHING to warn against. Why don't you get this?

All you've done is provide legitimate reasons for the warnings and exhortations, BECAUSE believers do continue to sin.

Do you also feel that bishops/pastors, prophets, and interpreters of tongues are unnecessary?
All gifts of the Holy Spirit are necessary, obviously.

The exhortations and warnings in scripture are just that...exhortations and warnings.
For the obvious reason that believers continue to sin. The warnings/exhortations are to keep the believer from divine discipline. Obviously.

We may know not to do certain things, but to hear the commands of God a few thousand times in life makes the commands more real.
If a believer cannot sin, there is NO REASON to warn them to not sin.

It enhances our strength to maintain the proper ways of life.
Yes, because believers can and do sin and are not supposed to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course that's what exhortations and warnings are for. But you continue to miss the whole point.
If a Christian cannot sin (your pov) then ANY kind of warning is irrelevant and unnecessary. There would be NOTHING to warn against. Why don't you get this?
I don't feel that anything supplied by God is irrelevant or unnecessary.
God has included them in His Word for a reason.
What ever that reason is, I am glad of it.

All you've done is provide legitimate reasons for the warnings and exhortations, BECAUSE believers do continue to sin.
If all "believers" sinned, then Christ died in vain...(unless you are a sacrificial animal)

All gifts of the Holy Spirit are necessary, obviously.
For the obvious reason that believers continue to sin. The warnings/exhortations are to keep the believer from divine discipline. Obviously.
If a believer cannot sin, there is NO REASON to warn them to not sin.
Yes, because believers can and do sin and are not supposed to.
There is no sin in Christ, and believers are in Christ.
They can't mix.

People do fall away from the faith, proving how tentative a "believer's" faith can be.
With exhortations and warnings, we can strengthen that faith.
By God's grace, we are encouraged and edified by our endurance in the face of constant attack by evil doers.

"Don't commit adultery"...Oh thank you God for having the power to make me impervious to adultery! To Your glory, Lord!
"Pray always"...Oh thank you God for even allowing me to be heard at all times! To Your glory, Lord!
By realizing our adherences to God's will, we are equipt to go further along the narrow path with confidence in the truths God has lifted us up with.
And it gives us even more reasons to give glory to God in the name of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0