Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Very much so!

So, since you confirm that you're satisfied to put all your hope and trust into a God who can be caught by surprise and have His plans upended by one of His own creations, how do you know that a "tower of Babel" won't work someday?

How do you know that human beings can't put all their heads and supercomputers together one day and totally foul God's plan for you and everyone else?

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, since you confirm that you're satisfied to put all your hope and trust into a God who can be caught by surprise and have His plans upended by one of His own creations, how do you know that a "tower of Babel" won't work someday?

What do you mean?

How do you know that human beings can't put all their heads and supercomputers together one day and totally foul God's plan for you and everyone else?

God's plan for me is already secured by what has already taken place. It cannot be changed. In what way could people + supercomputers foul God's plans? I don't really understand sorry.

Just to be clear, I believe God has a broad plan and intends for us to walk within it. That plan is to establish the Kingdom of Heaven over the earth. It is up to us to work with Him to make that happen. We need Him to bring heaven to earth through us. I believe this because this is what Jesus preached and seems to be the message of the whole bible.

Upvote 0

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
God created Satan to do evil? Or he created him not knowing he would do evil and was surprised?

if God is the all knowing, he'd have known Satan would become evil

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
parablesblog: FOUNDATIONS - The Fall of the Anointed Cherub

It is antagonistic to Yahweh’s nature for Him to create something that is profane, obscene, or sinful. The Bible tells us that God is not the author of sin.

Seeing that God is the Father of lights, which is to say that He gives birth only to that which is holy and righteous, and that in Him is no variation or shifting shadow, how could He speak into creation that which is not in Him?

Had Satan maintained his focus upon God he would have been filled with the goodness and light of Yahweh. Yet, the prophet Ezekiel reveals to us that this anointed cherub who covers began to set his focus upon his own splendor, beauty, and wisdom. As he considered himself, he turned his focus away from Yahweh. The result of turning away from the source of all light is darkness. Satan became darkened in his understanding and began to worship the creature (his own magnificence) rather than the Creator (Romans 1:25).

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So He knew when He created Satan that Satan would become evil even though @Superhero Sam just posted how God is not the author of sin?

Then you reply: But knowing something will happen doesn't make him the author of it.
Then I reply: But if God created Satan knowing he would sin then God IS THE AUTHOR of sin. However, if God DIDN'T KNOW that the devil would sin, then God is not the author of sin.

God is ALL KNOWING only in the sense that He knows all in the present and the past. He doesn't however know all in the unwritten future. Choices form the future. He can see into the most likely outcomes and He can ensure certain things happen, but He isn't all knowing in the sense that He knows every single thing that will happen into the infinite future. You can read more about this view here.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
He also knows how the story ends.
He even would know the outcomes of all of the infinite other potential scenarios that would come about if just one of the infinite variables were tweaked an iota and a jot this way and that.
"All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds" is rather trite these days, and, well. insensitive.

On the other hand, trusting in the omnibenevolence of God in the presence of great evil, even Satan, is the wisest choice that we have available to us.
That is our choice.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Very sorry if I offend anyone, but when I read the bible I just see things different than most.
The idea that Gods plan was goofed by Satan & Adam is goofed itself.
It should be apparent that the fall of Lucifer, fall of man and the eventual failure of most of mankind was a setup by the Creator Himself. Any other explanation makes no sense considering who He is.

Yes, He allowed evil to become alive. How can anyone know what true love is unless there is evil? Just like light and darkness. Each one needs the other to exist as a contrast to show that the other exists.

The reason the world is so jacked up is specifically designed. Not to trick people who are not smart or educated enough.
No, the litmus test for us all is our hearts. Our motives and intentions. When this is understood, then most all religious issues pale and fade into oblivion.
I realize nearly every religious person expects to be considered righteous because of their faith in a religion or in an image of a person or in a book, but how would things change in our lives if we found out that we will only be judged on out hearts, motives and intentions? Wow. Maybe sinners would actually get into the kingdom before hyper-religious folks because their motives were really just self-serving all the time.

Just a thought.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very sorry if I offend anyone, but when I read the bible I just see things different than most.
The idea that Gods plan was goofed by Satan & Adam is goofed itself.
It should be apparent that the fall of Lucifer, fall of man and the eventual failure of most of mankind was a setup by the Creator Himself. Any other explanation makes no sense considering who He is.

Yes, He allowed evil to become alive. How can anyone know what true love is unless there is evil? Just like light and darkness. Each one needs the other to exist as a contrast to show that the other exists.

The reason the world is so jacked up is specifically designed. Not to trick people who are not smart or educated enough.
No, the litmus test for us all is our hearts. Our motives and intentions. When this is understood, then most all religious issues pale and fade into oblivion.
I realize nearly every religious person expects to be considered righteous because of their faith in a religion or in an image of a person or in a book, but how would things change in our lives if we found out that we will only be judged on out hearts, motives and intentions? Wow. Maybe sinners would actually get into the kingdom before hyper-religious folks because their motives were really just self-serving all the time.

Just a thought.

The problem is there is unnecessary suffering such as a child tortured and then killed, and then the torturer kills themselves. Or perhaps a random accident where everyone dies except for one old lady. etc etc Random suffering is just that, random. If you try and place this in some kind of "perfect plan" laid out by God you will end up in cognitive dissonance where you believe God is loving and also causes all the pain in the world. In this view you would also say the devil is doing God's work. I STRONGLY disagree with this view and encourage you to think again.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The problem is there is unnecessary suffering such as a child tortured and then killed, and then the torturer kills themselves. Or perhaps a random accident where everyone dies except for one old lady. etc etc Random suffering is just that, random. If you try and place this in some kind of "perfect plan" laid out by God you will end up in cognitive dissonance where you believe God is loving and also causes all the pain in the world. In this view you would also say the devil is doing God's work. I STRONGLY disagree with this view and encourage you to think again.

Well I certainly don't think God CAUSES any evil. But He seems to use it as a sort of a test. No, Satan causes all of our pain and trials and suffering. But it appears to me as if perhaps evil itself serves a purpose.
It looks as if we are really righteous that we become exempted from the effects of the decadence in the world, but if we choose to do evil, then we allow the enemy to enter our lives and do what he does best. And if the righteous suffer, believe me, it is done by those who do evil, correct?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But He seems to use it as a sort of a test.

What do you mean?

But it appears to me as if perhaps evil itself serves a purpose.

How would you define the purpose evil serves?

if the righteous suffer, believe me, it is done by those who do evil, correct?

I would agree this is correct except for when we accidentally hurt ourselves or others or perhaps some kind of natural disaster etc. But in these cases you indirectly argue that these evils are the effect of the devil tampering with our world and influencing it towards evil.

Upvote 0

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian

you say this like God has never done evil or wicked things to people. Have you read the old testament? You know? Where God murdered everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah for their sexual immorality, even killed Lot's wife for simply turning around to see the devastation.... He even killed the virgins because they were simply "affiliated" with the immoral. He gave diseases to people, flooded the earth and so on.... Perfectly believable he could let things happen that are unexplained. Look up the Jarrell Tornado from 1997. Killed entire families and wiped out the neighborhood from the map. Left a woman alone after her husband, 4 kids and parents were all killed. Who or why would one want to survive or go on after that?

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
you say this like God has never done evil or wicked things to people. Have you read the old testament? You know? Where God murdered everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah for their sexual immorality, even killed Lot's wife for simply turning around to see the devastation.... He even killed the virgins because they were simply "affiliated" with the immoral. He gave diseases to people, flooded the earth and so on.... Perfectly believable he could let things happen that are unexplained. Look up the Jarrell Tornado from 1997. Killed entire families and wiped out the neighborhood from the map. Left a woman alone after her husband, 4 kids and parents were all killed. Who or why would one want to survive or go on after that?
I'm sorry, but the God I know does not do evil or wicked things. I read the Old Testament and I attempt to learn about Who God is through the eyes of Love. Why the eyes of love? Because Jesus is the exact representation of the Father's nature (Hebrews 1:3). Jesus and the God of the Old Testament are the same Person. Did Jesus do evil and wicked things? No. So why does it seem that He did evil in the Old Testament? I can't sit here and answer every Old Testament question in a single post. What I can write is what I know about God in general. And that is one, He is Jesus. Two, Jesus healed the sick and raised the dead and destroyed the evil works of the devil (1 John 3:8). Three, God is not the devil. Four, God does not do evil. Five, God was bound by the old Mosaic covenant to do certain things that appear harsh but are the result of the Israelite's bad decisions (for more on this read Jonathan Welton's book "understanding the whole bible"). There's always more to say but if we come to know God through Jesus first and apply His Loving Nature to what we read in the Old Testament, we can grow in our understanding of how to read the Old Testament. I'm not saying I have every answer, I'm just saying we have to read it with the right lens, and that lens is 100% love. Love and love and love. The more love, the more God.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟252,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Death was part of nature until Adam, who died because he sinned and could not access the tree of life. And because he did not repent into a walk with God. Murder or stealing in Heaven would mean around that person, Heaven would not be good... we need God. Need not blame God. God guarded the tree of life with Cherubs, and He determined we all die by at most about 120 years. That is not murder. That's not motivated by hate... God has dominion like we do over the cattle. He loves us however as His own children. Sodom had a chance to repent before they went to far. If they kept having kids, they would continue corrupting them and they would not be fit for Heaven. The little ones that die go back to the creator. Only God can decide on this, not planning parents.

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0