Problems with Faith Alone Theology and the Double Imputation Theory.

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nothing the Catholic Church teaches contradicts Scripture. It is a Catholic book, after all.

You'll understand why, as an ex-Catholic, I find that statement...well...let's just call it "comical."

But unfortunately for you, the very foundation of your theology is directly contradicted by James 2:24. Have a nice afternoon.

You feel that way because you misinterpret James. Don't worry; you're not alone in that regard. There are a lot of great sermons available on this subject (and by sermons I mean real sermons, not 5-10 minute homilies). You can start with this one, if you feel so inclined.

Doing Regular Self Examination

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
You'll understand why, as an ex-Catholic, I find that statement...well...let's just call it "comical."

You feel that way because you misinterpret James. Don't worry; you're not alone in that regard. There are a lot of great sermons available on this subject (and by sermons I mean real sermons, not 5-10 minute homilies). You can start with this one, if you feel so inclined.

Doing Regular Self Examination
And as an ex-Protestant I find the statement to be entirely correct.

As for the length of the sermon, I will take 10 minutes of truth over an hour of falsity anyday.

I suppose that it would take an hour to attempt to explain away a statement that clearly and unequivocally contradicts the core of your faith. There are at least 5 different ways that Protestants attempt to explain the verse away, and in 500 years you have not even been able to agree on how it should be interpreted. Who is the author of division and confusion?

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And as an ex-Protestant I find the statement to be entirely correct.

Then you're either soft on the teachings of the RCC or the Word of God. One or the other. :sigh:

I suppose that it would take an hour to attempt to explain away a statement that clearly and unequivocally contradicts the core of your faith. There are at least 5 different ways that Protestants attempt to explain the verse away, and in 500 years you have not even been able to agree on how it should be interpreted. Who is the author of division and confusion?

Actually, he covers it in about 30 seconds during his sermon, but the entire teaching is excellent. When you understand Matthew 7:21-23 then you understand James 2:14-26. :oldthumbsup:

By the way, it's funny how you presume to know "the core of [my] faith." The core of my faith, dear friend, is the Word of God. :amen:

Upvote 0

sixpointer

Jun 28, 2016
New Zealand
✟15,843.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

Well. There is at least one thing we can agree on.

Good. So you admit that your private interpretations of scripture could be wrong. We are making progress.

I have never claimed to be infallible my hope is not based on a 100% understanding of Scripture, that belongs to no man but God alone. The papal system is riddled with conflicting so called infallible excathedra pronouncements and most importantly is seriously at variance with the Old and New Testaments.

The goodness of God is man's greatest problem for as Romans 3 so clearly points out this is what mankind is not. There is none who does good, there is none who seek after God. All have gone out of the way. The way of peace they have NOT known.

RC confuse justification and sanctification by putting them together in a way that is not Biblical.

The RC person has no certain hope because it is always dependent upon what a man may or may NOT have done! Tragic!

The saddest thing is that you mock the beauty and simplicity and ultra uniqueness of the Gospel of Christ. Yet what a wonder that in eternity it should please the Father plan redemption involving the punishment of the eternal Son of God, in time, that all who are acquitted would be led by Him in paths of righteousness for His name's sake, yes, without contradiction, the very same ones who hunger and thirst after righteousness, the very same one's who are adopted, justified, and shall ultimately be glorified! Without the slightest contradiction it is God who tells emphatically: not one of My sheep shall EVER be lost and who says to His loved ones work out your own salvation in fear and trembling for it is GOD who is working in you to WILL and to DO for HIS good pleasure!

And what does RC say? Many heresies. For example: ppl can be regenerate yet end up in HELL! Blasphemy! So, so contradictory to Scripture! Let the Scriptures be your standard. Use the standard that Christ used that the prophets used that the Bereans were commended for using! And may God assist you. That is my prayer.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Then you're either soft on the teachings of the RCC or the Word of God. One or the other. :sigh:
Either that, or you are wrong. Are your interpretations of Scripture infallible? If not, then you must admit that you could be wrong, just like me.

Actually, he covers it in about 30 seconds during his sermon, but the entire teaching is excellent. When you understand Matthew 7:21-23 then you understand James 2:14-26. :oldthumbsup:
Both of these verses support the Catholic teaching on justification.

By the way, it's funny how you presume to know "the core of [my] faith." The core of my faith, dear friend, is the Word of God. :amen:
Jesus doesn't teach salvation by faith alone, and neither does James.

Upvote 0

JohnMartin

Nov 13, 2016
Sydney
✟10,765.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
He died alone, and was raised by his Father..
And its through His obedient faith we are saved...through. He was obefient to His Father unto death[thats faith] and this Faith we must not only enter through but are saved by doing..as He did[love] by the spirit...

Jesus was sent by the Father and sends the Holy Spirit. The work of redemption is Trinitarian.

JM

Reactions: corinth77777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus was sent by the Father and sends the Holy Spirit. The work of redemption is Trinitarian.

JM
True....and we still must come through the faith of Christ's alone ....in order to have access to father. His blood only.....He is representation of the viel that split open...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
On Faith Alone
The phrase "faith alone" is used only once in the King James Version, The one place that it is used is James 2:17. In the RSV it is used in James 2:24.

• Winner
Reactions: corinth77777
Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The phrase "faith alone" is used only once in the King James Version, The one place that it is used is James 2:17. In the RSV it is used in James 2:24.
Is it anyone else's faith that we are saved through? If not then it's JESUS'S Faith alone that we are saved through. And I believe we are saved through his faith in order that we have his faith.

Upvote 0