Problem with Mathew-Henry commentary of Matthew 6:1

Rik Brooks

Non-denominational with strong Baptist leanings.
Site Supporter
Nov 19, 2015
✟67,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I recently acquired the Mathew-Henry commentaries and have been blessed to have them. I just ran across his commentary on Matthew 6:1 and I think that I don't understand what he is saying:

Take heed that you do not o your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. Matthew 6:1

Matthew Henry says of this verse:

It is true,n our alms-deeds do not deserve heaven, but it is as true that we can not go to heaven without them.

Huh? it seems that Matthew Henry is saying that we can nt go to heaven without deeds!! In other words, we have to earn our wy into heaven. I have a whole pocket full of verses that contradict that. Am I not understanding Matthew Henry?

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I recently acquired the Mathew-Henry commentaries and have been blessed to have them. I just ran across his commentary on Matthew 6:1 and I think that I don't understand what he is saying:

Take heed that you do not o your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. Matthew 6:1

It is true,n our alms-deeds do not deserve heaven, but it is as true that we can not go to heaven without them.

Huh? it seems that Matthew Henry is saying that we can nt go to heaven without deeds!! In other words, we have to earn our wy into heaven. I have a whole pocket full of verses that contradict that. Am I not understanding Matthew Henry?

No, he's not saying that.

He is referring to the "being seen" as our "motivation" to do anything. This of course, is tied right in with "pride".

He was also referring to what, for instance, is written in James, about seeing a need and ignoring it, not meeting it, and then having the audacity to say "be warm and be filled" to someone cold and hungry, that we did not even attempt to help or alleviate their suffering.

The bottom line is, if someone says they love God as we are admonished to, why WOULD they leave someone in the above state, ignoring their suffering and then having the audacity to say a thing like that to them?

It's a "heart" condition that is being referred to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I used to quote quite a bit of Matthew Henry when I did introductions at church. Mostly because his commentaries are so available. His and Spurgeon. You might look up online the same passage under Charles Spurgeon, sometimes his teaching is more clear with certain passages ( not always but it's worth a search).
Well never mind here it is from Spurgeon:
Verses 1-2

Matthew 6:1. Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

“You cannot expect to be paid twice, if therefore you take your reward in the applause of men, who give you a high character for generosity, you cannot expect to have any reward from God.” We ought to have a single eye to God’s accepting what we give, and to have little or no thought of what man may say concerning our charitable gifts.

Matthew 6:2. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

And they will have no more; there is, in their case, no laying up of any store of good works before God. Whatever they may have done, they have taken full credit for it in the praise of men.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I agree with, Brinny. I would also point to James 2.
Jas 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

I think the story of the Good Samaritan speaks to the righteous works that will be produced by faith.
True faith will produce the fruits of faith/righteous acts, mercy, grace, kindness, love, sharing what we have.

Upvote 0

Rik Brooks

Site Supporter
Nov 19, 2015
✟67,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, he's not saying that.
brinny, you said precisely what I had hoped... BUT Matthew Henry said... I am quoting:

It is true, our alms-deeds do not deserve heaven; but it is as true that we cannot go to heaven without them.

These words are pretty clear. I agree with the first part, our deeds, our alms do not get us into heaven but the second part?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny, you said precisely what I had hoped... BUT Matthew Henry said... I am quoting:

It is true, our alms-deeds do not deserve heaven; but it is as true that we cannot go to heaven without them.

These words are pretty clear. I agree with the first part, our deeds, our alms do not get us into heaven but the second part?

You may very well be mis-understanding the second part, Rik. :)

Reactions: Rik Brooks
Upvote 0

Rik Brooks

Site Supporter
Nov 19, 2015
✟67,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You may very well be mis-understanding the second part, Rik. :)

I really do hope so. I don't have decades of Bible study like some of y'all. All I have is a couple of years so I have no problem accepting that there are many things that I don't understand.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I really do hope so. I don't have decades of Bible study like some of y'all. All I have is a couple of years so I have no problem accepting that there are many things that I don't understand.

The second part of what you posted just brings to mind for me, what James says about seeing a need and either ignoring the need or meeting that need.

If we DON'T meet that need, there is something seriously amiss in our hearts and therefore our very standing before God may be in question.

Consequently, the bottom line, is that we might not end up in heaven at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Matthew Henry's commentary is from a particular school of theology. I had a Baptist friend who read it often. I just did not agree with everything he said. Many commentaries are helpful, but not one of them is perfect. His church in particular seemed legalistic. That is common in some churches today - they stress faith + works = salvation.
James said faith without works is dead BUT the Holy Spirit prepares works for us to do AND He does the work through us and He gets the credit -- NOT US. Remember, "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not by yourselves, it is a gift of God, NOT OF WORKS, SO NO ONE MAY BOAST." Eph. 2:8, 9
You can't earn heaven!
The following verses in that chapter are helpful. Don't blow your trumpet like the Pharisees did when they gave alms. They sounded an alarm, seeking attention, "look at how generous we are_ all of you_ take notice ..." They boasted, as if they could fulfill the LAW by themselves and receive rewards. This is PRIDE. Anyone who blows their trumpet when giving is just patting themselves on the back.
Give in secret, don't even tell anyone. Actually don't put your name down, give anonymously and so only God knows. That's real giving. But we still want to be recognized don't we? We want to be heralded as the good Christian, the giver, "Oh he's got such a generous heart, bla, bla, bla." People like to receive rewards for their works. Eventually, if you are a generous giver, you can't really keep it a secret, everyone who knows you will praise you. That's OK, let them. But don't do it for that purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Here is the full paragraph of the quote ....
1. The giving of alms is a great duty, and a duty which all the disciples of Christ, according to their ability, must abound in. It is prescribed by the law of nature and of Moses, and great stress is laid upon it by the prophets. Divers ancient copies here for teµn eleeµmosyneµn—your alms, read teµn dikaiosyneµn—your righteousness, for alms are righteousness, Ps. 112:9; Prov. 10:2. The Jews called the poor’s box the box of righteousness. That which is given to the poor is said to be their due, Prov. 3:27. The duty is not the less necessary and excellent for its being abused by hypocrites to serve their pride. If superstitious papists have placed a merit in works of charity, that will not be an excuse for covetous protestants that are barren in such good works. It is true, our alms-deeds do not deserve heaven; but it is as true that we cannot go to heaven without them. It is pure religion (Jam. 1:27), and will be the test at the great day; Christ here takes it for granted that his disciples give alms, nor will he own those that do not.
Matthew 6 Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

Jas 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

He is speaking to being selfish, withholding good works, because of selfishness/covetousness. If we love God and our neighbors as ourselves we will do our best not to covet because our hearts are right with God. If we fail at times we need to repent, then get going again in the right/righteous direction.

Reactions: Rik Brooks
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The commandment to love is the evidence of faith that pleases God and is necessary for eternal life. Love of others are acts of faith. Without these acts of faith you have little reason to hope for heaven.

This may be what the author meant by alms.

John 14:21

Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me.

1 Corinthians 13:2

And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

Timothy 2:15
Yet she will be saved through childbearing, provided they continue in faith and love and holiness, with modesty.

1 Thessalonians 5-8
But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, and put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation.

James 2:5
Listen, my beloved brothers and sisters. Has not God chosen the poor in the world to be rich in faith and to be heirs of the kingdom that he has promised to those who love him?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0