✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Colossians 1:

15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
Strong's Greek: 4416. πρωτότοκος (prototokos) — 8 Occurrences

BDAG:

① lit. pert. to birth order, firstborn

② pert. to having special status associated with a firstborn, firstborn, fig. ext. of 1
ⓐ of Christ, as the firstborn of a new humanity which is to be glorified, as its exalted Lord is glorified. … This expr. ... describe Jesus as the one coming forth fr. God to found the new community of believers.

Is the Son created by God?

I don't think so. The verse does not use the word "created" for the Son. The Son is not a creature. On the contrary:

16 For in him all things were created:
in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

In the instrumentality of the Son, all things were created. He is the creator of everything:

things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.
Looking at the prepositions, if the Son is created, it makes little sense that all things have been created in or through or for the Son. The sentence makes better sense if the Son is not a creature.

17a He is before all things
That's Paul's point: The Son is the firstborn of all creation; the Son is before all things, not that he was a creature.

Matthew Poole's Commentary:

he was not created at all, though first-born, or first-begotten, yet not first-created, (being distinguished here from created, as the cause from the effect), as it refers to him that begets, so it may to only begotten, Christ being so begotten as no other was or could be
Ellicott, Meyer, Benson, Matthew Henry, Bengel, Barnes, etc., expressed similar sentiments. The scholarship is quite strong that the Son was not created.

One God and Father of All

Apr 20, 2018
Wilmington, DE
✟18,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Colossians 1:

Strong's Greek: 4416. πρωτότοκος (prototokos) — 8 Occurrences

BDAG:

① lit. pert. to birth order, firstborn

② pert. to having special status associated with a firstborn, firstborn, fig. ext. of 1
ⓐ of Christ, as the firstborn of a new humanity which is to be glorified, as its exalted Lord is glorified. … This expr. ... describe Jesus as the one coming forth fr. God to found the new community of believers.

Is the Son created by God?

I don't think so. The verse does not use the word "created" for the Son. The Son is not a creature. On the contrary:

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

In the instrumentality of the Son, all things were created. He is the creator of everything:

Looking at the prepositions, if the Son is created, it makes little sense that all things have been created in or through or for the Son. The sentence makes better sense if the Son is not a creature.

That's Paul's point: The Son is the firstborn of all creation; the Son is before all things, not that he was a creature.

Matthew Poole's Commentary:

Ellicott, Meyer, Benson, Matthew Henry, Bengel, Barnes, etc., expressed similar sentiments. The scholarship is quite strong that the Son was not created.
There is a creation which includes land, water, trees, animals and man.(everything)

There is also a creation of a people into one body.

I think Christ is the creator of the people of his own body.

Upvote 0