Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You should know I don’t feel the need to ask myself any question friend… people live by the spirit conditionally. It is If by a choice if you do so or not. The spirit causes a person to be lower than another, to be humble, to have mercy, have forgiveness, speak the truth in gentleness and to have love for God and love for others.

It part of the process of becoming a mature spiritual son or daughter of God.
How do you know that’s true?

• Friendly
Reactions: GallagherM
Upvote 0

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because the bible talks about it. (And it is a good thing to teach the truth of what the bible says compared to staying as a child or a babe in Christ).

In my view if anyone asked me:

Matthew what do you think about the bible itself?

Would say; The bible is a great and useful tool to grow in the knowledge of God and the Lord Jesus Christ. It has been canonized by the 66 collection of books that were written by people whom were inspired by the holy spirit and wrote down the records about the very creation of the day and night itself and forward.

It is useful in learning and discerning truth; so is the spirit of truth that resides in a believer. God is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Though do believe that even external sources outside of the bible do help in the authenticity of the bible; like looking at archeological proofs along with historical understanding of the real places which were in the bible and the people and audiences back then is also important.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You should know I don’t feel the need to ask myself any question friend… people live by the spirit conditionally. It is If by a choice if you do so or not. The spirit causes a person to be lower than another, to be humble, to have mercy, have forgiveness, speak the truth in gentleness and to have love for God and love for others.
It part of the process of becoming a mature spiritual son or daughter of God.
And Scripture is a necessary part of spiritual maturity, it being "useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Here’s a good working definition of sola scriptura as understood historically.

The Holy Scripture is the only sufficient, certain, and infallible rule of all saving knowledge, faith, and obedience, although the light of nature, and the works of creation and providence do so far manifest the goodness, wisdom, and power of God, as to leave men inexcusable; yet are they not sufficient to give that knowledge of God and his will which is necessary unto salvation. Therefore it pleased the Lord at sundry times and in divers manners to reveal himself, and to declare that his will unto his church; and afterward for the better preserving and propagating of the truth, and for the more sure establishment and comfort of the church against the corruption of the flesh, and the malice of Satan, and of the world, to commit the same wholly unto writing; which maketh the Holy Scriptures to be most necessary, those former ways of God's revealing his will unto his people being now ceased.

Upvote 0

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It always going to boil down to this you guys.

You and your relationship with God... and the Lord Jesus Christ... and how you live your own life... by faith... by the spirit... to Love God... and to Love your neighbor... as yourself.

Cool definition of the Sola Scriptura; though I do not agree with it; I have stated my view of how I look at the bible in post number 62, and tired of talking about it at this point.

I have agreed to the Bible being useful, especially for spiritual health. I do not have any problems with the bible itself at all. Just people who mishandle the book if anything.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You and your relationship with God... and the Lord Jesus Christ... and how you live your own life... by faith... by the spirit... to Love God... and to Love your neighbor... as yourself.
Cool definition of the Sola Scriptura; though I do not agree with it; I have stated my view of how I look at the bible in post number 62, and tired of talking about it at this point.
I have agreed to the Bible being useful, especially for spiritual health. I do not have any problems with the bible itself at all.
The Bible's position is not about "problems" with it, but about "submission" to it.
Just people who mishandle the book if anything.
And so you diminish the book instead of the mishandlers.

What's wrong with that picture?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟129,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have agreed to the Bible being useful, especially for spiritual health. I do not have any problems with the bible itself at all. Just people who mishandle the book if anything.
I'm partly in agreement with you that relationship comes first, yet how can a relationship happen apart from God's self-disclosure? Sola Scriptura highlights and identifies Scripture as the authentic word of God, the repository of His voice and the light by which we are led. Does that mean we should submit to individuals attempting to use the Bible to gain authority over us? No, we should seek to live humbly and leaders should be the first to abdicate their "rights" in order to accomodate those they are leading. This isn't an issue with Scripture, though, it is an issue with men. Those who are called to teach often are puffed up with knowledge rather than displaying the humility that should characterize that knowledge.

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Fervent;

If you read the bible; you already know that the bible is an inspired text that had come from others whom had written the word and that it is very awesome to have to learn and grow in the knowledge of God friend.

For example I never knew sola scriptura ever existed until it was brought forward to my knowledge; so it never effected my life.

You are right about what you say and would agree with you. You do not have to submit to anyone in your life to have dominion over you and your direct line connection of faith between you and God. Your relationship is your personal relationship by and through faith on the Lord Jesus Christ.

(My suggestion is to never trust anyone (that includes me myself) but to always go and read the bible and be encouraged to learn and continue to grow).

It can the knowledge of the bible can make someone to how to say - off unto the edge of madness if they are not careful.

Good comment thank you for mentioning all of these things, Fervent.

Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private

I understand you are ready to leave this subject but I want to put emphasis on this point.

My first post outlined a fairly strong definition, both historical and presently of sola scriptura. @Hammster made a similar post, with clearer wording and i quite liked it. However, I don't think it can be "a working definition" because it really lacks a strong message about the fact Protestants are separated from Rome. And that is important. It's important because sola scriptura acts as the wall against Romes attempt to subjugate protestant dissidents. If sola scriptura was removed as a fundamental doctrine, what grounds would a protestant have for not accepting Romes magisterium? And if Rome was accepted, like the old days, bad things happen.

Be aware there are Roman Catholics and Eastern people on this forum that are in opposition to sola scriptura. ;)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I understand you are ready to leave this subject but I want to put emphasis on this point.

My first post outlined a fairly strong definition, both historical and presently of sola scriptura. @Hammster made a similar post, with clearer wording and i quite liked it. However, I don't think it can be "a working definition" because it really lacks a strong message about the fact Protestants are separated from Rome. And that is important. It's important because sola scriptura acts as the wall against Romes attempt to subjugate protestant dissidents.
If sola scriptura was removed as a fundamental doctrine, what grounds would a protestant have for not accepting Romes magisterium? And if Rome was accepted, like the old days, bad things happen.

Be aware there are Roman Catholics and Eastern people on this forum that are in opposition to sola scriptura. ;)
Why do they need one?

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hello you and this is the case of the problem with sola scriptura.

Please be kind enough to read everything before posting.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 every Writing [is] God-breathed, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for setting aright, for instruction that [is] in righteousness,​

17 that the man of God may be fitted -- for every good work having been completed.​

This is a verse people will use and it is the only verse that they can use to make Sola Scriptura work. Now as someone who believes in the bible; it is agreed by with me that this verse above is true. Though however it does not mention that the scripture is a 'LAW' book that has to be enforced in a persons life. You most certainly can share with someone that is all fine, but to make the scripture - all of it - as a 'LAWbook' is definitively wrong.

In Acts 17:11 the Bereans were praised because they diligently tested everything that Paul said against OT Scripture to see if what he said was true, so Sola Scripture is essentially saying that we should follow that precedent whenever someone tries to teach us something. So if someone interprets Paul as speaking against anything in OT Scripture, then they have interpreted him saying things that the Bereans would have rightly flat out rejected after reading Deuteronomy 13:4-5, where the way that God instructed His people to determine that someone was a false prophet who wasn't speaking for Him was if they taught against obeying His law.

While it is true that all of Scripture includes more than laws, all of Scripture is nevertheless inclusive of all of the laws that God has given, and all of the terms listed in regard to what all of Scripture is profitable for are in regard to our conduct, which is what God's laws are in regard to. Furthermore, 2 Timothy 3:16-17 could arguably be interpreted as being specifically regard to just the things that have been spoken by God, which again would primarily be referring to God's laws.

Do you know why? The reason to use scripture alone is a fine way to kill people. You can kill them from faith in God if you are not careful.

Did you know that? The scriptures are like a doubled bladed sword, and if untrained properly you can do damage not only to yourself but you can also do damage to other people.

Let's take a look at two more scriptures to prove my own case here of the problem with Sola Scriptura and living by the scriptures alone, as side from doing damage to yourself, and to others.

2 Corinthians 3:4-6
4 and such trust we have through the Christ toward God,

5 not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think anything, as of ourselves, but our sufficiency [is] of God,

6 who also made us sufficient [to be] ministrants of a new covenant, not of letter, but of spirit; for the letter doth kill, and the spirit doth make alive.​

Did you know that is the as believers our sufficiency is of God, and not of ourselves? Read verse 5.

In verse 6 it goes on to suggest that believers are ministrants of a new covenant.

Also in verse 6: Not of the letter.

Not of the letter? What does that mean? To me it is a warning that the new covenant is not like the old covenant. The new covenant is new and can not be mixed with the old covenant otherwise there is a huge danger in that mix of hurting yourself and others by doing so.

Still going here in verse 6 you see Paul goes on to tell the Corinthians here in his second letter that; the sufficient to be ministrants; is of the Spirit.

The letter doth kill; but the spirit make alive.

Did you know that you can use the bible as a legalistic tool that if handled unproperly can do damage to you, and your spiritual welfare?

Be careful who you listen to out there; for there is a warning in the bible that have been made known by even the Apostle Paul himself about mixing the letter, and the spirit together that can kill your own spirit.

2 Corinthians 3:17

17 And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord [is], there [is] liberty;

Galatians 5:1

5 In the freedom, then, with which Christ did make you free -- stand ye, and be not held fast again by a yoke of servitude;

Remember this friend. There is freedom in Christ... relax and rejoice to the Father in heaven for what the Lord Jesus Christ - or Lord Yeshua the Anointed One has done for all of mankind, by coming, dying, being buried, and being raised again by the Father in which we too by dying with Christ are raised up in walking in newness of life being raised back up with the Anointed One.

Be careful of what man may teach, or the doctrines they may hold on to just think for yourself, you are allowed to have freedom of thought, expression, opinions. Am a big believer that people are allowed to have freedom.

Ask yourself this question:

Would you desire for anyone to take away your own freedom in Christ if you live by the spirit?

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you, the love of God, and the fellowship of the holy spirit.

Legalism by following the law according to the letter has always undermined both the intent of what God has commanded and why He has commanded it, which therefore leads to death just as assuredly as refusing to submit to it, so the correct solution improperly handling the Bible improperly is to start handling it properly through faith by the leading of the Spirit. The New Covenant still involves following God's law (Jeremiah 31:33) and the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey it (Ezekiel 36:26-27). The freedom that we have in Christ is the freedom from sin, which is living in transgression of God's law, so the freedom that we have in Christ is also the freedom to live in obedience to it. Authority can also be used improperly, so this is also a problem for those who do not uphold Sola Scripture.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

My first post outlined a fairly strong definition, both historical and presently of sola scriptura. @Hammster made a similar post, with clearer wording and i quite liked it. However, I don't think it can be "a working definition" because it really lacks a strong message about the fact Protestants are separated from Rome. And that is important. It's important because sola scriptura acts as the wall against Romes attempt to subjugate protestant dissidents. If sola scriptura was removed as a fundamental doctrine, what grounds would a protestant have for not accepting Romes magisterium? And if Rome was accepted, like the old days, bad things happen.

To me All Glory To God; just desire to focus on helping others to be encouraged in their faith and to go and read the bible and not to trust me personally. Fairly make mistakes all the time and may even teach something that is wrong in some peoples eyes; but the thing is to have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; and to be encouraged in their faith and to be mindful of not letting others take away their freedom they have in Christ. It is not about self preservation but to just be mindful and to think and ponder and question for oneself what anyone on the face of the earth may have to offer when it comes to the bible.

Check, question, ponder, and seek for the truth of any matter or subject that comes about with using of the bible is my encouragement.

(I do not really care much for man-made terms or man-made doctrines or man-made traditions but will not cast judgement on others who do those things it is by their own free-will choice or they have been maligned by religion itself).

It always boils down to having a relationship with God, and relationship with others by and through the spirit of Christ to have love for God and others.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Mishandling has nothing to do with sola scriptura. You yourself could mishandle it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you everyone whom had made a message here, to share their opinions and thoughts of how they see the subject of Sola Scriptura.

May the grace of the Lord Yeshua the Anointed one be with you and your families, the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit.

Take care and be safe out here in this world ; My encouragement is to read the bible. Think for yourself, question, and ponder things you read in the bible and ask God about them and grow in the knowledge of our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ; growing in the spiritual understanding and wisdom.

May God bless you, and keep you safe.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you for your comment, Oldlady.

Crwth; just desire for the truth to be made known about the dangers of sola scriptura.

Sola Scriptura isn't dangerous! It is God's word.

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We need to be careful in defining Sola Scriptura. It has a context and a historical meaning. When Luther was debating Roman Catholic scholars and such they would always point to Scripture and Tradition as comprising the Word of God. Luther insisted that it was scripture alone that was the Word of God. Sola Scriptura is the doctrine that Scriptura alone is the only infallible source of faith and practice. Luther and the other magisterial reformers never believed that in the idea of "Just me and my bible" or Nuda Scriptura. Furthermore the reformers themselves would agree that such an idea is dangerous.

i guess people don't believe that God has power to teach individuals.

Proverbs 3
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths...
12 For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0