✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That is good.

My only problem with it is people mishandling the bible and using it as daggers and knifes to stab other people when they have a difference of opinion, or thought about something when it comes to scripture.

Scripture is useful; and the bible is a useful tool that God has graciously gifted us with to be able to look at and use.

The bible in the wrong hands is not useful, and damaging to themselves and others around them.
The tenet of Sola Scriptura is not based on opinion. The Bible speaks for itself as being infallible an inerrant concerning matters of faith and practice. Just because there are people who mishandle or misinterpret the truth does not mean there is a problem with Sola Scriptura.

Upvote 0

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is a ton of history one can go and look up and learn about the effects of sola scriptura. There have been revolutionary type of wars based on what was supposed to be done in accordance to the scriptures. It’s all there in history.

Remember the days when they would burn suppose witches at the stake?

The history of man and what has been done by man is still captured not only through the Bible but also not so long ago times.

If you are willingly curious you can do research on Sola Scriptura; my original post is to remind you of the dangers of not allowing anyone to take your freedom in Christ and living by the spirit to show your Love towards God and also love towards others.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It’s rare to see an OP so unwilling to defend and define their position. I’m not going to continue to as ask it is obvious that you are either unwilling, or more likely unable to given even a basic understanding of what you mean by sola scriptura. From the sidelines, it looks like you just wanted an echo chamber. So I’ll leave you to it.

• Friendly
Reactions: GallagherM
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Only scripture is what sola scripture means. Scripture alone.
That’s what the translation of the term is. But what is meant by the term?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Kind of a strange OP. I sorta agree and sorta disagree. I gave up Sola Scriptura roughly 24+ years ago. This however does not mean that I don't use the Bible to inform my thoughts etc. Christians have been doing that 1500 years before that Latin term was coined!

I will say their is a big difference in SS and proof texting! Even though for many Protestants they are kind of the same things (which for me is another SS issue). Some of what you are talking about is referred to a Solo Scriptura (interpreting Bible passages by yourself devoid of historical context, and other kinds of Ecclesiological concerns, including pastoral care concerns).

Anyway this kind of posts opens up all kinds of issues, you could easily have at least 3 good ones covering radically different issues or problems. (I actually think you could have much more than that from this topic/OP, seeing how many people like to get into specifics which means many more threads than general ones)

The Problem with Prooftexts

Solo Scriptura: The Difference a Vowel Makes, by Keith A. Mathison
A skilled researcher will be able to find excellent verses in the Bible. When Sola Scriptura was merged with theories of Biblical inerrancy there was controversy.

Paul emphasized the ministry of the Spirit is greater than the letter of the law.

2 Corinthians 3:7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory,transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11 And if what was transitory came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts! (NIV)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A skilled researcher will be able to find excellent verses in the Bible. When Sola Scriptura was merged with theories of Biblical inerrancy there was controversy.

I know. I was raised and catechized in a very conservative Lutheran synod in the days of my youth....

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello you and this is the case of the problem with sola scriptura.

Please be kind enough to read everything before posting.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 every Writing [is] God-breathed, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for setting aright, for instruction that [is] in righteousness,​

17 that the man of God may be fitted -- for every good work having been completed.​

This is a verse people will use and it is the only verse that they can use to make Sola Scriptura work. Now as someone who believes in the bible; it is agreed by with me that this verse above is true. Though however it does not mention that the scripture is a 'LAW' book that has to be enforced in a persons life. You most certainly can share with someone that is all fine, but to make the scripture - all of it - as a 'LAWbook' is definitively wrong.

Do you know why? The reason to use scripture alone is a fine way to kill people. You can kill them from faith in God if you are not careful.

Did you know that? The scriptures are like a doubled bladed sword, and if untrained properly you can do damage not only to yourself but you can also do damage to other people.

Let's take a look at two more scriptures to prove my own case here of the problem with Sola Scriptura and living by the scriptures alone, as side from doing damage to yourself, and to others.

2 Corinthians 3:4-6
4 and such trust we have through the Christ toward God,

5 not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think anything, as of ourselves, but our sufficiency [is] of God,

6 who also made us sufficient [to be] ministrants of a new covenant, not of letter, but of spirit; for the letter doth kill, and the spirit doth make alive.​

Did you know that is the as believers our sufficiency is of God, and not of ourselves? Read verse 5.

In verse 6 it goes on to suggest that believers are ministrants of a new covenant.

Also in verse 6: Not of the letter.

Not of the letter? What does that mean? To me it is a warning that the new covenant is not like the old covenant. The new covenant is new and can not be mixed with the old covenant otherwise there is a huge danger in that mix of hurting yourself and others by doing so.

Still going here in verse 6 you see Paul goes on to tell the Corinthians here in his second letter that; the sufficient to be ministrants; is of the Spirit.

The letter doth kill; but the spirit make alive.

Did you know that you can use the bible as a legalistic tool that if handled unproperly can do damage to you, and your spiritual welfare?

Be careful who you listen to out there; for there is a warning in the bible that have been made known by even the Apostle Paul himself about mixing the letter, and the spirit together that can kill your own spirit.

2 Corinthians 3:17

17 And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord [is], there [is] liberty;

Galatians 5:1

5 In the freedom, then, with which Christ did make you free -- stand ye, and be not held fast again by a yoke of servitude;

Remember this friend. There is freedom in Christ... relax and rejoice to the Father in heaven for what the Lord Jesus Christ - or Lord Yeshua the Anointed One has done for all of mankind, by coming, dying, being buried, and being raised again by the Father in which we too by dying with Christ are raised up in walking in newness of life being raised back up with the Anointed One.

Be careful of what man may teach, or the doctrines they may hold on to just think for yourself, you are allowed to have freedom of thought, expression, opinions. Am a big believer that people are allowed to have freedom.

Ask yourself this question:

Would you desire for anyone to take away your own freedom in Christ if you live by the spirit?

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you, the love of God, and the fellowship of the holy spirit.
Is it possible any Christian could follow the doctrine of Sola Scriptura? Even Luther kept many of the Catholic doctrines. I think it's a misnomer. Many of us follow Creeds as they were developed over the centuries.
That said, scripture holds the truth of our faith. Grounding all doctrines in scripture should not be debated,yet it is. My understanding is there had to be a counter to the bondage many were experiencing under the RCC. This is the Reformation, "by scripture alone".Be blessed.

Upvote 0

A_JAY

Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
North Central
✟484,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A little background knowledge in the historical context of Sola Scriptura would have helped. IMO you are referring to legalism. You may be referring to the severe abuses of scripture that occur among self-proclaimed preachers and prophets.

Be careful of what man may teach, or the doctrines they may hold on to just think for yourself, you are allowed to have freedom of thought, expression, opinions. Am a big believer that people are allowed to have freedom.

You are allowed to have freedom of thought, expressions, and opinions. But I don't see that in Scripture. Scripture is truth. Not your opinion or my opinion.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So there is no freedom in Christ then if someone is catholic and does catholic things; or a sda doing sda things according to their own traditions.

So there would be no unity if the foundation is not laid on Christ Himself and Love for God and love for others.

There is truth in scripture and your are right about that; and believe that the truth is founded up the Lord Jesus Christ; and also many other truths of things in the Bible.

The biggest thing over it all is to show love towards God and others above all else; in the best estimation of the scripture alone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Or you could put it like this; some people believe Satan is still running around and the demons. Some people do not.

Some people believe that they will get a spiritual body after this life while some believe they are going to receive a new body like we have now and go be on a new earth.

Where is the truth about these things other founded in the Bible which can be found on the subjective truths about the subject.

It all depends on a persons knowledge of the Word of God and if they have spent time seeking God for the answers

does that mean everyone is damned because they might not believe everything and in every way another person may believe when it comes to scripture alone?

That is a question you must ask yourself.

It’s obvious the objective truth is that God so loved the world He sent His son Jesus Christ; to pay for the sin of all mankind and was resurrected again by God on the third day.

Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
I think there is a lack of understanding by the OP, to what sola scriptura or Bible alone actually means. I will lay out what I think it means, because it is a very important doctrine.

The Bible is the infallible and all sufficient rule about what the converted should believe about God, and what duty requires of man-For faith.

So the traditions, magisterium or papacy of the Roman Catholic Church or any other churches are not authoritative, in the matters of faith. Only scripture alone is authoritative over the believer.

There can be other forms of authority, like parental authority over children or governmental authority but their is only one authority over the faith and that is sola scriptura, or Bible alone.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A little background knowledge in the historical context of Sola Scriptura would have helped. IMO you are referring to legalism. You may be referring to the severe abuses of scripture that occur among self-proclaimed preachers and prophets.

You are allowed to have freedom of thought, expressions, and opinions. But I don't see that in Scripture. Scripture is truth. Not your opinion or my opinion.
What is truth?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Please be kind enough to read everything before posting.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 every Writing [is] God-breathed, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for setting aright, for instruction that [is] in righteousness,​

17 that the man of God may be fitted -- for every good work having been completed.​

This is a verse people will use and it is the only verse that they can use to make Sola Scriptura work. Now as someone who believes in the bible; it is agreed by with me that this verse above is true. Though however it does not mention that the scripture is a 'LAW' book that has to be enforced in a persons life. You most certainly can share with someone that is all fine, but to make the scripture - all of it - as a 'LAWbook' is definitively wrong.

Do you know why? The reason to use scripture alone is a fine way to kill people. You can kill them from faith in God if you are not careful.

Did you know that? The scriptures are like a doubled bladed sword, and if untrained properly you can do damage not only to yourself but you can also do damage to other people.

Let's take a look at two more scriptures to prove my own case here of the problem with Sola Scriptura and living by the scriptures alone, as side from doing damage to yourself, and to others.

2 Corinthians 3:4-6
4 and such trust we have through the Christ toward God,

5 not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think anything, as of ourselves, but our sufficiency [is] of God,

6 who also made us sufficient [to be] ministrants of a new covenant, not of letter, but of spirit; for the letter doth kill, and the spirit doth make alive.​

Did you know that is the as believers our sufficiency is of God, and not of ourselves? Read verse 5.

In verse 6 it goes on to suggest that believers are ministrants of a new covenant.

Also in verse 6: Not of the letter.

Not of the letter? What does that mean? To me it is a warning that the new covenant is not like the old covenant. The new covenant is new and can not be mixed with the old covenant otherwise there is a huge danger in that mix of hurting yourself and others by doing so.

Still going here in verse 6 you see Paul goes on to tell the Corinthians here in his second letter that; the sufficient to be ministrants; is of the Spirit.

The letter doth kill; but the spirit make alive.

Did you know that you can use the bible as a legalistic tool that if handled unproperly can do damage to you, and your spiritual welfare?

Be careful who you listen to out there; for there is a warning in the bible that have been made known by even the Apostle Paul himself about mixing the letter, and the spirit together that can kill your own spirit.

2 Corinthians 3:17

17 And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord [is], there [is] liberty;

Galatians 5:1

5 In the freedom, then, with which Christ did make you free -- stand ye, and be not held fast again by a yoke of servitude;

Remember this friend. There is freedom in Christ... relax and rejoice to the Father in heaven for what the Lord Jesus Christ - or Lord Yeshua the Anointed One has done for all of mankind, by coming, dying, being buried, and being raised again by the Father in which we too by dying with Christ are raised up in walking in newness of life being raised back up with the Anointed One.

Ask yourself this question:
Would you desire for anyone to take away your own freedom in Christ if you live by the spirit?
No, ask yourself this question:

By what measure do you determine whether the spirit is the Holy Spirit, or the spirit who masquerades as an angel of light? (2 Corinthians 11:14)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You should know I don’t feel the need to ask myself any question friend… people live by the spirit conditionally. It is If by a choice if you do so or not. The spirit causes a person to be lower than another, to be humble, to have mercy, have forgiveness, speak the truth in gentleness and to have love for God and love for others.

It part of the process of becoming a mature spiritual son or daughter of God.

Upvote 0