Oneofthediaspora

Jul 9, 2008
Liverpool
✟9,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I asked this question a while back but no-one answered. Given the result of your presidential election, minds may be more focussed on the issue now.

In the U.S. is it legal for doctors and other health professionals to have nothing to do with abortion at any stage on the grounds of conscientous objection?

Mom2Alex

In Christ
Jul 19, 2008
+Diocese of Buffalo, NY
Visit site
✟9,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In the U.S. is it legal for doctors and other health professionals to have nothing to do with abortion at any stage on the grounds of conscientous objection?

Yes, thank God. This will not be the case if the FOCA is passed in the future.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think so. From what I understand Catholic hospitals do not provide abortion services. Likewise, I believe that medical professionals can object on religious or moral grounds. I'm unsure how it works with federally funded institutions, however.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think so. From what I understand Catholic hospitals do not provide abortion services.
it's pretty common for them to provide elective sterilization procedures, though. that slow boiling frog effect. If the mindset that abortion is okay continues to prevail, it will be avail. in every GYN doc's office and more common than removing a bothersome cyst. they already provide endometrial ablation as a form of steriliztion and not just as treatment for heavy periods.

Upvote 0

Oneofthediaspora

Jul 9, 2008
Liverpool
✟9,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So ... the way the law stands at present for an abortion to occur it requires medical staff to do it and they can, at any time, refuse.

That's intersting.
It's the same in this country. I'm a conscientous objector. All our hospitals are federally funded.

Is there any sort of Union of Catholic Doctors in the U.S.?

It seems to me that one important battle that the pro-life movement needs to fight is for the hearts and minds of doctors.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.