Pregnant Missouri DOT worker painting highway lines killed by vehicle; MODOT considers fetus an employee so workman's comp covers any liability

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

MoDOT claims unborn baby killed in crash as an employee

Kaitlyn Anderson was nearly six months pregnant and an employee for the Missouri Department of Transportation when a vehicle struck and killed her at a worksite.

MoDOT has attempted to claim Anderson's unborn child, Jaxx, as an employee, which would make the case a worker's compensation issue rather than a wrongful death suit.

Anderson's family filed a wrongful death lawsuit. However, in court filings MoDOT claims Jaxx was their employee, according to reporting by KMOV-TV.

A Missouri Supreme Court trial is set for March.

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
She had been hit three times before? Was the vehicle driven by an MDOT employee? The other employees that the article mentions, were they hit by the same vehicle?

The article is unclear to me.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,273.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Kaitlyn Anderson was nearly six months pregnant and an employee for the Missouri Department of Transportation when a vehicle struck and killed her at a worksite.

MoDOT has attempted to claim Anderson's unborn child, Jaxx, as an employee, which would make the case a worker's compensation issue rather than a wrongful death suit.

Anderson's family filed a wrongful death lawsuit. However, in court filings MoDOT claims Jaxx was their employee, according to reporting by KMOV-TV.

So they are admitting to child slavery, even before the child is born. Since I am assuming the mother was not paid the fetus employees minimum wage.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
She had been hit three times before?
I gather that was on previous work assignments. So (if I'm reading this right) on the fateful day she was on striping duty, which was thought to be safer.
Was the vehicle driven by an MDOT employee?
No, just a random driver suffering a medical emergency: "McFadden, who is diabetic, was suffering a medical emergency due to a sudden and severe drop in his blood glucose level."

Grand jury declines to charge driver in crash that killed MoDOT workers

The other employees that the article mentions, were they hit by the same vehicle?
Yes.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,273.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
were they paying the mother double before her death since they considered the child an employee?
Don't be silly the fetus was employed for nothing, ie. A slave.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
were they paying the mother double before her death since they considered the child an employee?
This does not help the pro-life movement at all. Jaxx only "job" was developing inside his mother until he was born. To say he was an "employee" of the company is beyond silly. Just. No.

(I am pro-life).

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟100,814.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
This does not help the pro-life movement at all. Jaxx only "job" was developing inside his mother until he was born. To say he was an "employee" of the company is beyond silly. Just. No.

(I am pro-life).
I'm not saying he was an employee; the company is saying he was an employee so they consider it not a wrongful death but a workman's comp. issue.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not saying he was an employee; the company is saying he was an employee so they consider it not a wrongful death but a workman's comp. issue.
Yes. The company. not you. Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Wow. I thought the child labor laws were extreme in neighboring Arkansas, but Missouri is working them down to -0.25 years.

• Haha
Reactions: MotoToTheMax
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'll bet that the Worker's Compensation insurance company that the DOT uses will have something to say about that. I'll bet the DOT never paid insurance premiums for that unborn child, so the child wasn't covered.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Meanwhile in Oklahoma...

Aguilar had been taking [marijuana] to treat severe morning sickness during pregnancy. Medical marijuana is legal in Oklahoma, and she had a doctor-approved state license to use it.

in June, a judge in Kay County tossed out the charges against Aguilar, ruling there was no evidence that she broke state law. And that might have been the end of it.

But the local prosecutor was undeterred. He filed an appeal to reinstate the charges, arguing that Aguilar broke the law because the fetus growing inside her did not have its own, separate license to use medical marijuana.

• Wow
Reactions: MotoToTheMax
Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So they are admitting to child slavery, even before the child is born. Since I am assuming the mother was not paid the fetus employees minimum wage.
I'd like to see the payroll records.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'd like to see the payroll records.
Given that citizenship is gained at birth, looks like MoDOT has admitted they're employing illegal immigrants after failing to verify the information needed for an I-9 form. What's the penalty per case for that? Isn't that a federal offense?

Upvote 0