FormerTweaker

Dec 3, 2016
California
✟20,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am trying to discover the truth about it. I'd like to see what some people think about a few verses.

John 6:44 - 44 "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day.
and
John 6:65 - He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them."
vs
John 12:32 - And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself."

What's the difference in the drawing in the two of these? And what do they mean with the below in mind too.

Romans 9:16-24 - 16 It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. 17 For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”a]">[a] 18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

19 One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?” 20 But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’”b]">[b] 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?

22 What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? 23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— 24 even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

vs

2 Peter 3:9 - 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance

and

1 Timothy 2:1-4 - 1 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

How do you make sense of these verses together? I don't understand how someone can be prepared for destruction. I don't believe my understanding of it is right, as I don't think God would create something just to torture it for eternity even if that's what the verses sound like they're implying to me. I don't think he's like that. Especially since it says he wants all people to be saved. And doesn't want anyone to perish. How can you not want anyone to perish and all to be saved, yet prepare anyone for destruction ahead of time? It seems to contradict to me, yet I know the Bible doesn't contradict. So I'm understanding something incorrectly.

Reactions: Galatea

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am trying to discover the truth about it. I'd like to see what some people think about a few verses.

John 6:44 - 44 "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day.
and
John 6:65 - He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them."
vs
John 12:32 - And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself."

What's the difference in the drawing in the two of these? And what do they mean with the below in mind too.

Romans 9:16-24 - 16 It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. 17 For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”a]">[a] 18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

19 One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?” 20 But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’”b]"> 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?

22 What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? 23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— 24 even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

vs

2 Peter 3:9 - 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance

and

1 Timothy 2:1-4 - 1 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

How do you make sense of these verses together? I don't understand how someone can be prepared for destruction. I don't believe my understanding of it is right, as I don't think God would create something just to torture it for eternity even if that's what the verses sound like they're implying to me. I don't think he's like that. Especially since it says he wants all people to be saved. And doesn't want anyone to perish. How can you not want anyone to perish and all to be saved, yet prepare anyone for destruction ahead of time? It seems to contradict to me, yet I know the Bible doesn't contradict. So I'm understanding something incorrectly.

Once you toss the "torture for eternity" doctrine into the garbage where it belongs, and understand that destruction precedes rebuilding anew, these things will begin to make more sense.

Upvote 0

FireHeart

Simply his Child
May 22, 2015
Oklahoma
✟17,101.00
Faith
Christian
Interestingly enough I just made thread with the same issue I am trying to find the truth of it as well. and I share the exact same issue you have. there seems to be a missing link in this that we are missing because predestination appears to be very true but knowing the nature and the love of God it can't be.

I mean I can say with full confidence that I would burn in the very fires of hell itself for a time for the sake of person no matter how evil no more how dark and cruel their hearts or how blood stained their souls are I would go that far if it meant they could come into his loving arms.

This kind of love and to be able to see something worth fighting for worth suffering greatly and intensely for in even one such person is something that developed inside me in my time of seeking his heart and seeking after love above all else. And if such a love is inside me it had to come from somewhere but this kind of love seems to contradict predestination

Upvote 0

FireHeart

Simply his Child
May 22, 2015
Oklahoma
✟17,101.00
Faith
Christian
Once you toss the "torture for eternity" doctrine into the garbage where it belongs, and understand that destruction precedes rebuilding anew, these things will begin to make more sense.
But the torture for eternity thing is true I have no doubt you have been shown scriptures to support it and so i feel no need to post them unless you want me to but if that were not enough I have been to hell before I saw the lake of fire I felt the intense heat and thirst even the humidity itself was horrible my shirt was glued to my skin from the sweat but I also saw those who were in hell and as much as it breaks my heart to say they indeed were to suffer for eternity.

I don't expect you to believe me but I only know it's true because i have personally seen it

Upvote 0

FormerTweaker

Dec 3, 2016
California
✟20,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What scriptures do you have to support that view?

Upvote 0

FireHeart

Simply his Child
May 22, 2015
Oklahoma
✟17,101.00
Faith
Christian
Good luck with your missing link.
I don't think that understanding the scriptures is based upon a single doctrine, often times the truth is rarely what we thought it was. The bible is the word of God and is like an onion or the earths crust it has many many layers it's easy to see the first layer but to dive into the deeper layers one must have several things. A strong love and bond with god a willing heart to admit that it is possible our own views are in the wrong and faith that God will reveal the deep and hidden mysteries of his word. ever verse within scripture holds a secret that only God can reveal to us and so this is why the missing link is not set upon if i believe in eternal torment or not

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
No one has the ability (can) come. UNLESS, the Father does something. He draws, like drawing water from a well. Water does not jump out of a well. It is pulled out.

Second, 2 Peter 3:9 is addressed to Christians. The key word is, YOU. He is patient with YOU.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What scriptures do you have to support that view?

If you're talking about "torture for eternity" I'd ask what scriptures you have to support that view. In the "Controversial Christianity" section of the forum I've a thread on support of that most "dreaded and fearsome" doctrine of Universal Reconciliation; feel free to join in, or, support the "eternal torture" doctrine here. I think you'll find it severly short of any support whatsoever.

If you're meaning "destruction precedes rebuilding" there are countless supporting verses such as:

Hosea 13:9 O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself; but in me is thine help.

So you see destruction leading to help in God. Destruction is not "the albeit ending of endings" but a step in restoration, and building anew.

Matthew 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

The word translated "lost" here means "perished" or "ruined/destroyed" and is translated with those words elsewhere. So, to be "lost/perished/destroyed/ruined" is again not the "be-all-end-all" but a step in the direction of reconciliation.

Even death itself is not the "be-all-end-all" as shown:

Luke 15:32 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

The parable shows a man who is alive, leaves his father, is perished and destroyed in death, repents, and is eventually reconciled to his Father who says of his son, that he "was dead, and is alive again": so the concept of "destruction/death/ruin/lost" is not the "full end" in scripture, but a step toward the full end, which is reconciliation. For the prodigal son, his death and destruction was the impetus of his reconciliation.

Upvote 0

FireHeart

Simply his Child
May 22, 2015
Oklahoma
✟17,101.00
Faith
Christian
I suggest we not derail the thread on eternal torment debates and focus at the purpose of the thread in which both I and the op are needing help with.
the two opposing views of predestination while both showing truth continue to contradict each other scripture is easily found for both side yet they continue to oppose each other and scripture doesn't do that our understanding of it does.

like I said there seems to be a missing link here

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
How do you make sense of these verses together?
The Bible, especially New Testament, teaches 'predestination' or 'election' in the sense God selects who will be saved and who will not be saved. The Bible, especially New Testament, teaches person choice or individual responsibility in the sense every individual selects or rejects God.

One is faced with one of two choices in this: Either the New Testament and therefore God is terribly confused, or, both are correct and 'we' don't understand it fully.

I personally opt for the second view. And before anyone asks me to explain how THAT works, please read the last five words of the prior paragraph.

I have a suspicion it has to do with God not being in any part of 'time' He desires, but that He is everywhere in 'time' at once. Anyone desiring to know more about that, read your Bible, pray and meditate a lot. I've told all I know. And if someone figures it out, let me know!

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible, especially New Testament, teaches 'predestination' or 'election' in the sense God selects who will be saved and who will not be saved. The Bible, especially New Testament, teaches person choice or individual responsibility in the sense every individual selects or rejects God.

One is faced with one of two choices in this: Either the New Testament and therefore God is terribly confused, or, both are correct and 'we' don't understand it fully.

I personally opt for the second view. And before anyone asks me to explain how THAT works, please read the last five words of the prior paragraph.

I have a suspicion it has to do with God not being in any part of 'time' He desires, but that He is everywhere in 'time' at once. Anyone desiring to know more about that, read your Bible, pray and meditate a lot. I've told all I know. And if someone figures it out, let me know!

There is a third option.

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Why are you waiting? Should I sit up or roll over or something?

No man CAN come to me unless the Father draws him. Look at the draw in the greek, and then understand that we do in fact come to Him, but ONLY because He is pulling us, like someone draws water from a well. Not through persuasion, but through regeneration.

New creatures do new things.

Upvote 0

FormerTweaker

Dec 3, 2016
California
✟20,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No man CAN come to me unless the Father draws him. Look at the draw in the greek, and then understand that we do in fact come to Him, but ONLY because He is pulling us, like someone draws water from a well. Not through persuasion, but through regeneration.

New creatures do new things.
How does God desire all men to be saved then as stated in 1 Timothy 2:4 - 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth

if only those who he draws can come to Lord Jesus? It seems conflicting to me at a surface level.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
How does God desire all men to be saved then as stated in 1 Timothy 2:4 - 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth

if only those who he draws can come to Lord Jesus? It seems conflicting to me at a surface level.

Does God desire that all men obey His law perfectly?

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
No man CAN come to me unless the Father draws him.
No Jimmy, that's not a third option. That's the stance of ignoring the other teachings, which nearly everyone does, by the way.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
No Jimmy, that's not a third option. That's the stance of ignoring the other teachings, which nearly everyone does, by the way.

God grants the ability (regenerates), then we come. That's how it works.

Upvote 0