Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Hm. I don't think it's so much a matter of rooting for tragedy as thinking that when hardship arises, the Atheist will "turn to god" because he can't handle himself. Which, granted, isn't any better, but their is significant difference between rooting for tragedy and watching for a moment of weakness.

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
That sounds like he's innocently going to be supportive if a tragedy were to happen; I'm sure he wouldn't be praying for tragedy.

I have to second this. To answer the OP, no, I don't think people should be praying for tragedy and furthermore were a tragedy to occur there is not guarantee that any proselytizing would actually convert anyone. If a massive tornado struck right now and destroyed my neighborhood I would still be a Heathen after the fact and if someone showed up trying to convert me to Christianity with my home in ruins and family possibly injured or dead, it would only serve to anger me.

Upvote 0

Prayer Circle

Feb 4, 2012
OK, Why am I in this handbasket?
✟1,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On how to convert an atheist to Christianity:

"Be there when tragedy strikes and let him see jesus working through you."

Should Christians be secretly rooting for tragedy to befall atheists so that they can convert them to Christianity?

In a word, No. (Note:The following is a personal faith based opinion. Not a law)

In a few other words; because that is an ill example of the message of the Christ that would afford the impression the only way one can be converted is to be terrorized in it's name, when secretly rooting for tragedy to befall the atheist, so as to then turn them to Jesus and find solace in Christs embrace.

That's not the soul of Jesus message.
That's the root of the adversary to it.

Upvote 0

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟10,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
SinAmenShe said:
In a word, No. (Note:The following is a personal faith based opinion. Not a law)

In a few other words; because that is an ill example of the message of the Christ that would afford the impression the only way one can be converted is to be terrorized in it's name, when secretly rooting for tragedy to befall the atheist, so as to then turn them to Jesus and find solace in Christs embrace.

That's not the soul of Jesus message.
That's the root of the adversary to it.

QFT

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That sounds like he's innocently going to be supportive if a tragedy were to happen; I'm sure he wouldn't be praying for tragedy.

While I agree that the quote doesn't suggest actively desiring tragedy, I don't think you can really use the word "innocent" there. The person is not merely saying "support people when they're in trouble or hurting." He's saying to support them with strings attached. Support them after a tragedy because their weakness in this time will make it easier to manipulate them.

To use an odd illustration, in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, a vamp character trying to be good starts praising himself on how great it is that he's surrounded by bleeding people and not drinking any of it. Disgusted, buffy tells him that being being good requires more than just not feeding off of disaster victims. I think the same principle applies here, except that a lot of people dont even get to the level of decency Spike was striving for.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I could not say. It was your question in the beginning.
No, it wasn't. The question in the beginning was if Christians should secretly pray for tragedy to happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Prayer Circle

Feb 4, 2012
OK, Why am I in this handbasket?
✟1,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tragedy is event based. It is not a living, thinking being which can take advantage of people.
Of course it's now a living thinking being which can take advantage of people.
However, you asked if Christians should pray for tragedy to befall the atheist. As if it was something one could summon to do that Christians bidding and thereby afford the atheist an opportunity to change in light of it, so as to deal with what it brings.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Of course it's now a living thinking being which can take advantage of people.
However, you asked if Christians should pray for tragedy to befall the atheist. As if it was something one could summon to do that Christians bidding and thereby afford the atheist an opportunity to change in light of it, so as to deal with what it brings.

Not "summon" but that's the jist of it. Shouldn't Christians be praying that some tragedy will befall me or my family so that I will be easier to convert? Shouldn't Christians be praying that I be afflicted with some life-threatening disease so that I would be easier to convert? Or better yet, to die of a life-threatening disease so that my family will be easier to convert?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
While I agree that the quote doesn't suggest actively desiring tragedy, I don't think you can really use the word "innocent" there. The person is not merely saying "support people when they're in trouble or hurting." He's saying to support them with strings attached. Support them after a tragedy because their weakness in this time will make it easier to manipulate them.

I disagree. But I can see how what you infer could be the case. That is often a problem with the written word, no body language, no facial expressions, no inflection.

I think the OP said wait for tragedy to strike, that part is rather negative and fits what you. But is also said let them see Jesus working through you. I see that as saying let your actions and unconditinal help speak at that point. The 2 ideas pull in opposite directions.

EDIT: Oops it does not say wait, it just says be there. Nothing that implies don't be there before tragedy.

After rereading I'm thinking more and more that how I would view the phrase, likely taken out of context, depends heavily on hte character of the person saying it.

Upvote 0

Flowerandthevine

Jun 19, 2011
Austin
✟15,760.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Tragedy happens all over the world every minute to people from aa walks
of life. My owm dear husband became blind and paralyzed 7 months ago on his
46 th bitthday due to an auto immune disease. He is recovering..and still an atheist.

I only wish love and support for people. Tragedy, be it loss of a loved one, illness,
Homeless, or a natural disaster does not discriminate. We will all face sadness
In our lives no one is immune. To wish it upon someone is also a tragedy.

Typin on my phone sorry for errors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0