Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
1B3545D0-4D7E-4EA5-A978-4813EC76EF87.png
*Orthodox Topic*
I’m curious about the use of the word presumption in the context of the Prayer at Daybreak? I thank you kindly for your insights.

Reactions: tturt

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I did find this version:
O God, my God, I plead with thee for many and great things: do not disregard me. Cast me not away from thy presence because of my presumption and boldness,​

So in this case, it is a plea that we're approaching God with requests and we're also asking that He doesnt reject us because we are being so bold about it.

Reactions: Melily
Upvote 0

Melily

Feb 3, 2021
Noblesville
✟33,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I did find this version:
O God, my God, I plead with thee for many and great things: do not disregard me. Cast me not away from thy presence because of my presumption and boldness,​

So in this case, it is a plea that we're approaching God with requests and we're also asking that He doesnt reject us because we are being so bold about it.
Thank you so much. That makes sense.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much. That makes sense.

There are a lot of poor translations out there of our materials. Even official publications from the Greeks are riddled with errors, misspellings or just never proofread by anyone.

The final rendering of the Lord's Prayer in the one of the Greek Akathist for the Theotokos reads "Deliver us for evil"... :scratch:

Reactions: Melily
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 309719 *Orthodox Topic*
I’m curious about the use of the word presumption in the context of the Prayer at Daybreak? I thank you kindly for your insights.

is there anything else in this particular translation that could clarify?

Upvote 0

Melily

Feb 3, 2021
Noblesville
✟33,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
is there anything else in this particular translation that could clarify?
The part that confused me was “cast me not away in my presumption” followed by “increase in me this presumption”.
It’s from an app an Orthodox friend recommended called Pray Always. This prayer with slightly different wording is in a prayer book given to me when I became a catechumen by the priest so I should probably just stick to it. Sometimes it’s just easier to read from my phone. I’ll compare the two when I get home tonight. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The part that confused me was “cast me not away in my presumption” followed by “increase in me this presumption”.
It’s from an app an Orthodox friend recommended called Pray Always. This prayer with slightly different wording is in a prayer book given to me when I became a catechumen by the priest so I should probably just stick to it. Sometimes it’s just easier to read from my phone. I’ll compare the two when I get home tonight. Thanks for your help.

no worries. sometimes the other prayers can help provide context

Upvote 0