Prayer and the word "just"

P

Paine

This seems to be largely a Protestant Evangelical thing as I've noticed it most in the South, but why do some Christians use the word "just" approximately thirty times (I am not exaggerating here, and possibly understating in some cases) when they pray?

Is there a reason for this, or is it a cultural thing?

I'll be honest, to a lot of non-Christians it comes across about as well as nails on a chalkboard and distracts from the actual message of the prayer. I realize of course that no one means to be obnoxious (well, almost no one) but I can't help my visceral reaction to it. Also, would it qualify as a "vain repetition"? What about saying "Lord" "Jesus" "Jesus-God" "Christ-Jesus" and other such deific names over and over?

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This seems to be largely a Protestant Evangelical thing as I've noticed it most in the South, but why do some Christians use the word "just" approximately thirty times (I am not exaggerating here, and possibly understating in some cases) when they pray?

I'll be honest, to a lot of non-Christians it comes across about as well as nails on a chalkboard and distracts from the actual message of the prayer. I realize of course that no one means to be obnoxious (well, almost no one) but I can't help my visceral reaction to it. Also, would it qualify as a "vain repetition"? What about saying "Lord" "Jesus" "Jesus-God" "Christ-Jesus" and other such deific names over and over?

:) Yeah it grates on most of us Christians too, I'm sure. I don't know, I guess it's just a little linguistic habit that someone had and then it started getting imitated or something. Or maybe it sort of makes you sound more humble, like you're not asking for too much, "just do this" and "just do that". It's not vain repetition though, just a quirky habit of speech I think.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is there a reason for this

I agree, there's no real reason for it most of the time. Do realize though, that a prayer isn't towards you! So what you think of it really is irrelevant, or should be. And God looks on the heart, so is above being swayed either way by such pettiness. A person with a good and sincere heart can say things that may not make much sense, especially in prayer.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens

There are all sorts of stupid and irritating stock phrases and formulae that litter the world of "spontaneous" prayer.

Upvote 0

silence_dogood

Apr 26, 2010
✟2,144.00
Faith
Calvinist

I've lived all over the country and have noticed it everywhere, not just in the South. The reason it happens is that people are not natural public speakers and so are uncomfortable leading a group in corporate prayer.

It's just a nervous thing. People get nervous and they use such words as placeholders while they search for the next words.

I'll be honest, to a lot of non-Christians it comes across about as well as nails on a chalkboard and distracts from the actual message of the prayer.

Who cares what non-Christians think of our prayers? Our prayers aren't for the entertainment of non-Christians.

If someone is praying to deliver a "message", then they're praying incorrectly.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you are judging another man's prayer by how it is verbal constructed, your missing the point. A group lead prayer is about uniting a group to be one mind, one Heart before God. Not about verbal ques or eloquent. It is possible to be eloquent before a congregation and yet be far from God, at the same time one who stumbles and uses certain words as a verbal pause, or breaks can usher those who he is leading in prayer to God.

Verbal Prayer should be a reflection of the Heart, and not a practiced empty chant.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In practice i usually agree, but eloquence can have it's place:

The Dynamic Horologion And Psalter : Matins

As long as the heartfelt element isn't lost, doing something scripted isn't inherently evil. The real trick is a heart that's actually turned to the Lord. Has everything to do with what Jesus meant when He said what we have translated "be ye perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect."

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Was perfection achieved by the Pharisees in their rehearsed and practiced prayers?

Prayer should be a reflection of what is on one's heart. If a heart needs to be found righteous before men by forgoing a prayer that originates from the heart for a more practiced or polished prayer, then one needs to ask is this the "perfection" God seeks?

That said being able to come up with a heart felt "perfect prayer" is not a sin. Just know not all of us have been given this gift. God knows our strengths and our weaknesses, and gives us grace when we fall short. I am saying it is to this perfection Jesus spoke of, and that we should inturn strive to give the grace that we have been so freely given. In this case that means to forgive the one who should be so bold as to lead a group of believers in prayer who's primary gift may not be in leading a group prayer.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In this case that means to forgive the one who should be so bold as to lead a group of believers in prayer who's primary gift may not be in leading a group prayer.

If his primary gift is not leading a group in prayer, he might ought to stick to his primary gift. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums