booger

GOD PICKED ME!!!!
Jan 17, 2003
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
✟15,474.00
Faith
Baptist
This is kind of a tough subject for me, but after church this sunday I really felt a conviction for this. You see my father-in-law has turned his back on GOD along time ago because he blames him for breaking up his mom and dad's marriage.

I don't know if he is saved or not since he never talks about that or anything to do with GOD.  I am worried that he may not be, but I just dont't know.

So here lies my problem.  My conviction is to talk to him about it and try and lead him to the LORD if not already.  However, he is SUPER HARD HEADED and dosen't like to talk about certain things, and I mean won't talk at all.  Also my wife has wondered about this for sometime as well and is worried about him too.  She is scared that if she or I talk to him it will make us distant from him and all is lost.

I have finally decided that I can handle him hating me as a son-in-law for the rest of my life than not tryin to lead him to the lord and him going to hell.  So I need your prayers and some good scripture and/or ideas on how to approach the subject with this man.  I am pretty close with him and I am his favorite son-in-law so maybe that will help some, but who knows.

P.S.  They are planning on coming to our house this weekend so I really need your prayers for GOD to give me the courage and strength to go through with this, one of us anyway (my wife or I).

Thank you all and GOD BLESS!!!

seangoh

Veteran
Dec 10, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
✟16,661.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Well, you might just ask him casually regarding these stuffs since i suppose he wouldn't talk if it was put forth seriously (u know some ppl are more open if questions are asked casually).

Also, a verse that comes to mind is 1 Pet 3:15
"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: "

We are to give an answer to everyone, however i'm more concerned about the last line, giving it with meekness and fear (of the Lord) because this is what will make the biggest difference in terms of winning souls over to Christ. Facts and persuasion wins some but not most. Furthermore, God will honor you when you honor Him.

Another verse is Luke 12:11-12
"And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say: For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say. "

I believe the Holy Spirit will help a person if that person does the will of God.

A final suggestion is this. For the few days before you meet your father in law, strive to live a life worthy of God's calling. IOW, try to put off all sin and such and focus on righteousness unto holiness. It has been a personal experience that when i do so, the tough circumstances i face are easier to solve. And when i don't do it, i would find an obstruction. Even when i lead bible study or cell group, i make sure i strive to be pure the few days before because i know i'll be influencing some people.

Upvote 0

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Oops, I thought I had responded to this! Sorry!

Praying for you booger. I pray that the Lord will give you just the right words at just the right time and that he will open the heart of your father in law to his love and grace and mercy.

Let us know how it goes!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.