Powerful encounters with the Holy Spirit by revivalists: can anyone relate?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm starting to read up on the biographies of some the most notable revivalist preachers in Christianity. Wikipedia has an article that lists many of them. What brought my attention to this topic in the first place was the many times I've heard people tell stories about the great revivalists of old, who testified of powerful encounters with the divine prior to the start of their revivalist ministries. I've done a bit of research, and can confirm at least that these experiences were in fact reported by the following revivalists (assuming that the testimonies were really written by them):

John Wesley (1703 - 1791):

About three in the morning as we were continuing instant in prayer, the power of God came mightily upon us, insomuch that many cried out for exceeding joy, and many fell to the ground. As soon as we recovered a little from the awe and amazement at the presence of His Majesty, we broke out with one voice, 'We praise Thee, O God, we acknowledge Thee to be the Lord.'

In souls filled with love, the desire to please God is continual prayer

My fear is that our people will become content to live without the fire, the power, the excitement, the supernatural element that makes us great.​

Charles Finney (1792 - 1875):

The 29-year-old lawyer Charles Grandison Finney had decided he must settle the question of his soul's salvation. So on October 10, 1821, he headed out into the woods near his Adams, New York, home to find God. "I will give my heart to God, or I never will come down from there," he said. After several hours, he returned to his office, where he experienced such forceful emotion that he questioned those who could not testify to a similar encounter.

"The Holy Spirit … seemed to go through me, body and soul," he later wrote. "I could feel the impression, like a wave of electricity, going through and through me. Indeed it seemed to come in waves of liquid love, for I could not express it in any other way."​

Evan Roberts (1878 - 1951):

God visits in the night

“One Friday night last spring, when praying by my bedside before retiring, I was taken up to a great expanse – without time and space. It was communion with God. Before this a far-off God I had. I was frightened that night, but never since. So great was my shivering that I rocked the bed, and my brother, being awakened, took hold of me, thinking I was ill.

“After that experience I was awakened every night a little after one o’clock. This was most strange, for through the years I slept like a rock, and no disturbance in my room would awaken me. From that hour I was taken up into the Divine Fellowship for about four hours. What it was I cannot tell you; except that it was Divine. About five o’clock I was again allowed to sleep on till about nine.

At this time I was again taken up into the same experience as in the earlier hours of the morning until about twelve or one o’clock.

They questioned me at home. Why didn’t I get up earlier, &c., &c.

[...]

Another deep experience of the Spirit at Seth Joshua meeting

‘On the way to the nine o’clock meeting the Rev. Seth Joshua remarked, ‘We are going to have a wonderful meeting to-day.’ To this I replied, ‘I feel myself almost bursting.’

“The meeting, having been opened, was handed over to the Spirit. I was conscious that I would have to pray. As one and the other prayed I put the question to the Spirit, ‘Shall I pray now?’ ‘Wait a while,’ said He. When others prayed I felt a living force come into my bosom. It held my breath, and my legs shivered, and after every prayer I asked, ‘Shall I now?’ The living force grew and grew, and I was almost bursting. And instantly someone ended his prayer-my bosom boiling. I would have burst if I had not prayed. What boiled me was that verse, ‘God commending His Love.’ I fell on my knees with my arms over the seat in front of me, and the tears and perspiration flowed freely. I thought blood was gushing forth. Mrs. Davies, Mona, New Quay, came to wipe my face. On my right was Mag Phillips, and on my left Maud Davies. For about two minutes it was fearful. I cried, ‘Bend me! Bend me! Bend us!’ Then, ‘Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!’ and Mrs Davies said, ‘O wonderful Grace!’ What bent me was God commending His Love, and I not seeing anything in it to commend. After I was bent a wave of peace came over me, and the audience sang, ‘I hear Thy welcome Voice.’ And as they sang I thought of the bending at the Judgement Day, and I was filled with compassion for those who would be bent on that day, and I wept.​

Questions:

How common is it that behind a revival there is a preacher who has had a dramatic, life-changing encounter with the divine? So far I know that this is the case with John Wesley, Charles Finney and Evan Roberts according to testimonies attributed to them. Is this also the case with other notable revivalists? Is it a recurrent pattern?

Also, are these powerful encounters a privilege that only a select group of revivalists and Christians with great callings can enjoy, or does the average Christian also have access to deep encounters with the Lord, provided that they do things right?

Can anyone relate?

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm starting to read up on the biographies of some the most notable revivalist preachers in Christianity. Wikipedia has an article that lists many of them. What brought my attention to this topic in the first place was the many times I've heard people tell stories about the great revivalists of old, who testified of powerful encounters with the divine prior to the start of their revivalist ministries. I've done a bit of research, and can confirm at least that these experiences were in fact reported by the following revivalists (assuming that the testimonies were really written by them):

About three in the morning as we were continuing instant in prayer, the power of God came mightily upon us, insomuch that many cried out for exceeding joy, and many fell to the ground. As soon as we recovered a little from the awe and amazement at the presence of His Majesty, we broke out with one voice, 'We praise Thee, O God, we acknowledge Thee to be the Lord.'

My fear is that our people will become content to live without the fire, the power, the excitement, the supernatural element that makes us great.​

The 29-year-old lawyer Charles Grandison Finney had decided he must settle the question of his soul's salvation. So on October 10, 1821, he headed out into the woods near his Adams, New York, home to find God. "I will give my heart to God, or I never will come down from there," he said. After several hours, he returned to his office, where he experienced such forceful emotion that he questioned those who could not testify to a similar encounter.

"The Holy Spirit … seemed to go through me, body and soul," he later wrote. "I could feel the impression, like a wave of electricity, going through and through me. Indeed it seemed to come in waves of liquid love, for I could not express it in any other way."​

God visits in the night

“One Friday night last spring, when praying by my bedside before retiring, I was taken up to a great expanse – without time and space. It was communion with God. Before this a far-off God I had. I was frightened that night, but never since. So great was my shivering that I rocked the bed, and my brother, being awakened, took hold of me, thinking I was ill.

“After that experience I was awakened every night a little after one o’clock. This was most strange, for through the years I slept like a rock, and no disturbance in my room would awaken me. From that hour I was taken up into the Divine Fellowship for about four hours. What it was I cannot tell you; except that it was Divine. About five o’clock I was again allowed to sleep on till about nine.

At this time I was again taken up into the same experience as in the earlier hours of the morning until about twelve or one o’clock.

[...]

‘On the way to the nine o’clock meeting the Rev. Seth Joshua remarked, ‘We are going to have a wonderful meeting to-day.’ To this I replied, ‘I feel myself almost bursting.’

“The meeting, having been opened, was handed over to the Spirit. I was conscious that I would have to pray. As one and the other prayed I put the question to the Spirit, ‘Shall I pray now?’ ‘Wait a while,’ said He. When others prayed I felt a living force come into my bosom. It held my breath, and my legs shivered, and after every prayer I asked, ‘Shall I now?’ The living force grew and grew, and I was almost bursting. And instantly someone ended his prayer-my bosom boiling. I would have burst if I had not prayed. What boiled me was that verse, ‘God commending His Love.’ I fell on my knees with my arms over the seat in front of me, and the tears and perspiration flowed freely. I thought blood was gushing forth. Mrs. Davies, Mona, New Quay, came to wipe my face. On my right was Mag Phillips, and on my left Maud Davies. For about two minutes it was fearful. I cried, ‘Bend me! Bend me! Bend us!’ Then, ‘Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!’ and Mrs Davies said, ‘O wonderful Grace!’ What bent me was God commending His Love, and I not seeing anything in it to commend. After I was bent a wave of peace came over me, and the audience sang, ‘I hear Thy welcome Voice.’ And as they sang I thought of the bending at the Judgement Day, and I was filled with compassion for those who would be bent on that day, and I wept.​

Questions:

How common is it that behind a revival there is a preacher who has had a dramatic, life-changing encounter with the divine? So far I know that this is the case with John Wesley, Charles Finney and Evan Roberts according to testimonies attributed to them. Is this also the case with other notable revivalists? Is it a recurrent pattern?

Also, are these powerful encounters a privilege that only a select group of revivalists and Christians with great callings can enjoy, or does the average Christian also have access to deep encounters with the Lord, provided that they do things right?

Can anyone relate?
You can be filled with the Holy Spirit and have powerful deep encounters with the Lord. The Azusa Street Revival was a historic Pentecostal revival meeting that took place in Los Angeles, California and is the origin of the Pentecostal movement.[1] It was led by William J. Seymour, an African American preacher. It began with a meeting on April 14, 1906, and continued until roughly 1915. The revival was characterized by ecstatic spiritual experiences accompanied by miracles, dramatic worship services, speaking in tongues, and inter-racial mingling. The participants were criticized by the secular media and Christian theologians for behaviors considered to be outrageous and unorthodox, especially at the time. Today, the revival is considered by historians to be the primary catalyst for the spread of Pentecostalism in the 20th century. The Azusa Street Revival -1906-1908

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yes, these were great men and women of prayer, pouring out their desire for more of God in their lives, and they didn't let go until he filled them to overflowing.
157.jpg

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, these were great men and women of prayer, pouring out their desire for more of God in their lives, and they didn't let go until he filled them to overflowing.
157.jpg

Excellent point. "Ask" there is a present participle, stressing continuing action:

Therefore if you, being evil, know to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father who is in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those asking Him!"​

Upvote 0

Saint JOHN

May 5, 2017
Adelaide
✟20,848.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
YES .. as most if not all in our church//s (people not a building), throughout the world receive positive encounter when receiving the Holy Spirit ! ( just as in the book of acts ie 2v4 etc )( this is NOT just a NATURAL feeling etc);

Joh 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

We ALL speak in the new tongue that the Spirit immediately gives (first identifier that God has accepted you submitting to HIS WAY), just like the first churches as Jesus is the same yesterday today and forever. Also Jesus said (this is one of his commands !!)

Joh 4:24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.

eg...
Joh 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
and
1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.1Co
14:2 For he that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth [him]; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

(this clarifies those who THINK {with NATURAL understanding} the mistaken idea [ACTS 2V4] its to somehow to spread the Gospel !?)

My own testimony (briefly); I went to this Church only to be Baptized by full immersion as i could see children could not Repent; so thought now IF God is then he should be happy !! Thought I had already received the Holy Spirit when I was younger in a "religious ritual" ;did not comprehend this tongues business; but after about 20 min of praying with some of these people [after baptized],(saying mainly hallelujah and Praise Jesus ,praise the Lord as they said not my own ideas. In my mind I just was hoping to leave but just said all I know is I love you (as much as is possible in the natural/flesh.)Then wham ; I was literally knocked back in my chair (no human intervention) as the peace and joy and REAL contact with God was so overwhelming as i was speaking in this strange language.. so overwhelmed that two weeks later I noticed a carton of smokes on my fridge and I realized that I had not touched cigarettes nor alcohol nor any drugs and healed from migraine headaches(which I suffered all my life) and after some short explaining to my family who (natural)did not comprehend, my father was aided in his healing from cancer which he could no longer argue but he and my mother were also baptized and received (speaking in tongues etc) the miraculous is part of Gods promises to his children. (those who do it HIS WAY)

ps Revival Centre - Church//s

We Believe in the infallibility of the word of God.
We Believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
We Believe the Gospel of his death, resurrection, and directive to REPENT, be BAPTIZED and receive the HOLYT SPIRIT.
We Believe we are baptized into the body of Christ (the Church) through the Holy Spirit with the Bible evidence of SPEAKING in TONGUES.
We Believe in the miraculous gifts of the Holy Spirit in the church.
We Believe in prayer for the sick and healing by the power of God.
We Believe the return of Jesus Christ.

You receive a full package and will use more and better the gifts as God sees fit and your desire.
mark 16 v 16 +

Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟550,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My spiritual journey started in 1970's..
- During the 'Jesus Movement & Charismatic Renewal.'
- They had powerful impact..on my journey.
----
I am working on book project.
- One part of the book is on 'spiritual awakening/revival & renewal.. in Christian history.
* OP mentioned a few..
- Methodist Revival, Great Awakening & Welsh Revival.
----
Awakenings/Revivals start with those..who are 'broken & hungry for God'..
They are often criticized..during the early days.
- About spiritual experience/manifestation.

Upvote 0

Back from Heaven

He's alive!
May 5, 2021
Lourdes
Visit site
✟907.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

Can anyone relate?
I wasn't even an average Christian when I was blessed with meeting God, Jesus, Mother Mary and archangel Michael in Heaven. I had drifted away from Jesus at that time and I didn't even believe in him any more -- not that I doubted he existed but I didn't belive he was alive and available.

We don't need to do anything for God to love us. He is Love, he loves everyone just like the sun shines for everyone. Believing you must do things right to be loved by God keeps you in the mind and mind is not suited to experience God and His Love. Having a deep encounter with God is not about doing what's right, it's about willing to love better and to love more. Check John 13:34, Mark 12:28-31 and Luke 10:25-28. Jesus clearly stated that being a loving person in more important than any of the ten commandments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God visits in the night

[...]

Questions:

Can anyone relate?
These are available to anyone who seeks Him and seeks this. It is not taught, however, as a goal or even a desire. Leads me to think few ministers have this sort of passion for Him, but maybe I am wrong. I know the presence of God and the power of the Holy Spirit coming upon one where all one can do is weep for one's sin or other matters. It is this that Paul wrote of.. to know Him, and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings. This too is that kind of experience and longing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums