Poster's avatars and the perception of their posts.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
He wouldn't be online. The suggestion that there could be "ideal human proportions" would get him cancelled immediately. :)

Just being a white European makes him somewhat politically incorrect today.

Though in all likelihood, Leonardo was gay. In fact, it's been postulated that the model for the Mona Lisa wasn't the woman herself, but one of his young men assistants in drag. Probably no truth to that. But it is true that he never delivered the painting to the wealthy merchant in Florence who commissioned it.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is your screen name a typo? That's what I've always thought. If so, why haven't you had it changed after all these years?

Not technically a typo. It was a mistaken transposition of the words the and after . At first I was unaware that I could change it and then I grew fond of it as it has a certain ring to it and people get to use their imagination in contemplating just what that after wind might be.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I thought it would be interesting and possibly informative to make a thread discussing how people's choice of avatars effect the way others perceive their posts. For example when I see avatars that are scary and threatening looking my mind often cannot help but to perceive such posters as constantly angry and full of rage even though in reality this may not be the case.

Currently my avatar is of of a late 19th century French woman. While I didn't choose her for any perceivable reason, I do wonder if it brings a tinge of friendliness and warmness to my posts, even though admittley I often have anger problems and post things in the heat of the moment. In the past I would often have classic cinema stars such as Bette Davis as my avatar. Juxtaposed to my immature humor and poor grammar skills due to language disabilities I was born with, I always found it an interesting contrast. While I do not know how other's perceived my posts, I always wondered how far if any I could stretch being juvenile while having some false semblance of a classy appeal.

Out of respect for other posters, I would not get to specific about any posters avatars unless they themselves bring it up here.

That's a wonderful thread and post. I've been thinking on what i would use but haven't got to it yet. Some people's avatars and user names on this forum speak to me personally and help me, some i even delight in with joy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought it would be interesting and possibly informative to make a thread discussing how people's choice of avatars effect the way others perceive their posts. For example when I see avatars that are scary and threatening looking my mind often cannot help but to perceive such posters as constantly angry and full of rage even though in reality this may not be the case.

Currently my avatar is of of a late 19th century French woman. While I didn't choose her for any perceivable reason, I do wonder if it brings a tinge of friendliness and warmness to my posts, even though admittley I often have anger problems and post things in the heat of the moment. In the past I would often have classic cinema stars such as Bette Davis as my avatar. Juxtaposed to my immature humor and poor grammar skills due to language disabilities I was born with, I always found it an interesting contrast. While I do not know how other's perceived my posts, I always wondered how far if any I could stretch being juvenile while having some false semblance of a classy appeal.

Out of respect for other posters, I would not get to specific about any posters avatars unless they themselves bring it up here.

Mine is just my ugly mug. I usually use a cross and Bible everywhere else but since I'm new I figured it best to show who I am.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mine is just my ugly mug. I usually use a cross and Bible everywhere else but since I'm new I figured it best to show who I am.

I'd post my actual face, but I don't want to upset anyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I'd post my actual face, but I don't want to upset anyone.

Well I'm very obviously a very artistically-rendered and elegant giraffe and no one could possibly be upset by that!

(Unless I've just snatched the hat off of your head or your sunglasses, or played tug of war with your backpack strap, but nothing like that could ever happen. Of course not!)

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Just being a white European makes him somewhat politically incorrect today.

Though in all likelihood, Leonardo was gay. In fact, it's been postulated that the model for the Mona Lisa wasn't the woman herself, but one of his young men assistants in drag. Probably no truth to that. But it is true that he never delivered the painting to the wealthy merchant in Florence who commissioned it.
I've never met anyone named Leonardo who wasn't gay.

• Haha
Reactions: jayem
Upvote 0