Poster's avatars and the perception of their posts.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I thought it would be interesting and possibly informative to make a thread discussing how people's choice of avatars effect the way others perceive their posts.

I've noticed that people generally assume that you are female.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just remembered that I used a female avatar for Christmas a couple years ago. It was the little girl from the film Prancer. I like her character more than the film actually. I liked her search for truth. And I like this picture. She looks enlightened, she looks wise beyond her years.

iu

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This clip art always reminds me of when the Messiah wrote on the ground, when He was questioned about the woman caught in adultery.
It reminds me of that too, but I’m sure for a different reason .. it reminded me of the faithfulness of Jesus.

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I’ve learned not to assume someone’s gender especially if the avatar is a Theotokos. And I knew @MehGuy was a guy because I knew him before the, well you know “The change.” :blush1: J/K

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’ve learned not to assume someone’s gender especially if the avatar is a Theotokos. And I knew @MehGuy was a guy because I knew him before the, well you know “The change.” :blush1: J/K
Yah didn’t he used to be a christian?

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I thought it would be interesting and possibly informative to make a thread discussing how people's choice of avatars effect the way others perceive their posts. For example when I see avatars that are scary and threatening looking my mind often cannot help but to perceive such posters as constantly angry and full of rage even though in reality this may not be the case.

Currently my avatar is of of a late 19th century French woman. While I didn't choose her for any perceivable reason, I do wonder if it brings a tinge of friendliness and warmness to my posts, even though admittley I often have anger problems and post things in the heat of the moment. In the past I would often have classic cinema stars such as Bette Davis as my avatar. Juxtaposed to my immature humor and poor grammar skills due to language disabilities I was born with, I always found it an interesting contrast. While I do not know how other's perceived my posts, I always wondered how far if any I could stretch being juvenile while having some false semblance of a classy appeal.

Out of respect for other posters, I would not get to specific about any posters avatars unless they themselves bring it up here.
So what’s the scoop MehGuy, where did we go wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wrong for what? My deconversion?
I don’t remember what avatar you use to have. we used to be on the chat forum about the time when UtahKnight spent much of his time. But other than that I can’t say. I agreed with the JKG no offence intended.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don’t remember what avatar you use to have. we used to be on the chat forum about the time when UtahKnight spent much of his time. But other than that I can’t say. I agreed with the JKG no offence intended.

The past here is a mostly a blur, I kind of recognize he user name UtahKnight. What is JKG?

I remember once having an avatar of Roger, the bully from the TV show Doug.. lol.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The past here is a mostly a blur, I kind of recognize he user name UtahKnight. What is JKG?

I remember once having an avatar of Roger, the bully from the TV show Doug.. lol.
Yah that might have been it. Utah’s was a wolf howling at the moon. Mostly obsolete memories for me too. oh well, back in the 39’s when I was young and foulish.

joking

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yah that might have been it. Utah’s was a wolf howling at the moon. Mostly obsolete memories for me too. oh well, back in the 39’s when I was young and foulish.

joking

I've forgotten people from just a few years ago, many blend in together. Been here a while, and interacted with so many people.

Upvote 0