Poster's avatars and the perception of their posts.

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I thought it would be interesting and possibly informative to make a thread discussing how people's choice of avatars effect the way others perceive their posts. For example when I see avatars that are scary and threatening looking my mind often cannot help but to perceive such posters as constantly angry and full of rage even though in reality this may not be the case.

Currently my avatar is of of a late 19th century French woman. While I didn't choose her for any perceivable reason, I do wonder if it brings a tinge of friendliness and warmness to my posts, even though admittley I often have anger problems and post things in the heat of the moment. In the past I would often have classic cinema stars such as Bette Davis as my avatar. Juxtaposed to my immature humor and poor grammar skills due to language disabilities I was born with, I always found it an interesting contrast. While I do not know how other's perceived my posts, I always wondered how far if any I could stretch being juvenile while having some false semblance of a classy appeal.

Out of respect for other posters, I would not get to specific about any posters avatars unless they themselves bring it up here.

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
If your userid wasn't "MehGuy" and I wasn't already familiar with some of your posts, I would probably have the impression that you were a woman or young girl living in a super-conservative Mormon or Baptist family who wasn't allowed to wear modern clothes or have current hairstyles. (But then I think it's because it resembles a girl like that that went to Girl Scout camp one of the same years as me and she had to wear a full set of clothes when swimming in the lake and that sort of thing!)

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I thought it would be interesting and possibly informative to make a thread discussing how people's choice of avatars effect the way others perceive their posts. For example when I see avatars that are scary and threatening looking my mind often cannot help but to perceive such posters as constantly angry and full of rage even though in reality this may not be the case.
I agree with your premise.

Currently my avatar is of of a late 19th century French woman. While I didn't choose her for any perceivable reason, I do wonder if it brings a tinge of friendliness and warmness to my posts,
Actually, no. I find it confusing when guys have pictures of women or vice versa. Are they transgender? I don't find your particular avatar friendly or warm. To me, she looks depressed and isolated in a psychiatric ward as if she's saying, "I need prozac."

Out of respect for other posters, I would not get to specific about any posters avatars unless they themselves bring it up here.
I'd like to know how people perceive my avatar. I don't feel like talking with people who have childish avatars, cartoon characters for example. I think discussing avatars is an interesting subject :).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Currently my avatar is of of a late 19th century French woman. While I didn't choose her for any perceivable reason, I do wonder if it brings a tinge of friendliness and warmness to my posts, even though admittley I often have anger problems and post things in the heat of the moment. In the past I would often have classic cinema stars such as Bette Davis as my avatar. Juxtaposed to my immature humor and poor grammar skills due to language disabilities I was born with, I always found it an interesting contrast. While I do not know how other's perceived my posts, I always wondered how far if any I could stretch being juvenile while having some false semblance of a classy appeal.

I can see the anger behind the eyes. I think you should change your avatar. Maybe an aviator would be more friendly.
Mine is an old folks matter, changed from a shepard carrying a black sheep. Maybe I should change it back, but then I’d feel disloyal to my grandmother. Not really, thought it might make my grandchildren feel bad for no longer visiting. That didn’t work either.

Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's an interesting question. I find that I instinctively think of a poster as looking like the person pictured in a portrait-type image like yours, MehGuy, even when I am aware that it is someone of the opposite sex and the avatar was chosen for some other reason. When I see it, the impression comes back, that's all. And the same goes for the name although not quite as powerfully.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I agree with @bekkilyn

I assumed you were female at first glance. I stumbled on an old post of yours that was really funny. I looked at more and figured you’d be neat to talk to.

The difference was the tipping point. Add in the signature and I had to say hello. :p

~Bella

Last edited:
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Is she Therese of Lisieux? I've always liked your avatar. She strikes me as "no nonsense," which I find to be a trustworthy trait.

Mine is a picture I took of Alex Katz' "Self Portrait" 1969, which is in the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. It's one of my favorite pieces in their collection, but I don't know if it reflects the amiable person I am in real skin, haha. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,514.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

You have a pic of St Therese of lisieux as your avatar. A Catholic saint.

Going by your sig, i guess you know that anyway.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I feel the same about those kind. But, still, I judge posts (the words) on their own merit. A person with a goofy, silly avatar can have serious things to say, and vice versa.

I have wondered that you've always had female avatars. I thought maybe you sometimes get a crush on some figure from the past. :D

By the way, I can't ever recall a post from you that seemed angry. Plus, I like your humor, and I think you're grammar's perfectly fine, FWIW.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Mine is a picture I took of Alex Katz' "Self Portrait" 1969, which is in the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. It's one of my favorite pieces in their collection, but I don't know if it reflects the amiable person I am in real skin, haha. ;)
I still say it's Hunter S. Thompson.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why is everyone’s username in yellow except for albion lol nice facilitation... not results required tho lol
Wow I didn't notice that Albion's wasn't. Maybe there's been a massive purge of CF.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow I didn't notice that Albion's wasn't. Maybe there's been a massive purge of CF.
Except we aren’t banned ;) were still posting. Maybe just albion is banned and the mirror opposite effect happened!

Upvote 0