Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
In fact Daniel was trying out the proposal that the actual substance of her text came from Smith.

My point was that the writing of the two is not at all similar. Desire of Ages chapters on the life of Christ is clearly not a rephrase of anything you posted.

Agreed that Ellen White, Hazen Foss and William Foy had visions and that Joseph Smith claimed he did as well.

But that does not address the question raised about taking the text of Joseph Smith and paraphrasing it in something like "Desire of Ages" as the snips I provided from Desire of Ages demonstrate.

I simply asked if you had evidence of the claim that was made.

Instead of that you are talking about the fact that they all claimed to have had visions which is not the same topic.

My claim is that Hazen Foss, Ellen White, William Foy are examples of people that actually had visions that came from God and none of them involved staring into hat, or looking through a stone, or digging up golden plates or the things that Joseph Smith liked to focus on or the way he wrote.
I was trying to focus on similarities of our beliefs in keeping God's commandments.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
By God being the author, I mean that He translated the BOM by the seer stone. I do not believe it was the real god because the seer stone is an occult tool.

Early Mormonism and the Magic World View
https://www.amazon.com/Early-Mormonism-Magic-World-View/dp/1560850892

My Boss, Loving Wife is home, good night all,
Daniel
While certain objects are misused, there are instruments of God that are used for His purposes. The Urim and Thummin was a God given instrument that was used to do God's work. The Book of Mormon is God's work. The seer stone was not used to satisfy man's curiosity as are the devises of the occult.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While certain objects are misused, there are instruments of God that are used for His purposes. The Urim and Thummin was a God given instrument that was used to do God's work. The Book of Mormon is God's work. The seer stone was not used to satisfy man's curiosity as are the devises of the occult.

"Joseph Smith and his family accepted these beliefs, and Joseph occasionally used stones he located in the ground to help neighbors find missing objects or search for buried treasure.

When Joseph Smith received the golden plates in 1827, he also received a translation instrument with them, “two stones in silver bows” used by “‘seers’ in ancient or former times” (Joseph Smith—History 1:35). This instrument was referred to in the Book of Mormon as the “interpreters.” During the translation of the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith apparently used both of these instruments—the interpreters and his seer stone—interchangeably. They worked in much the same way, and the early Saints sometimes used the term “Urim and Thummim” to refer to the seer stone as well as the interpreters. The Prophet also received several of the revelations found today in the Doctrine and Covenants by means of these instruments of revelation.3 As Joseph became more experienced in spiritual matters, he eventually started receiving revelation without these aids."

Seer Stones

Good Night All, My wife will be home soon and I am falling asleep.

Upvote 0

mac777

Nov 13, 2020
midlands
✟15,906.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe there was many devout christians in the 18th and 19th centuries, men well versed in scripture and were men of prayer that were inspired by the Lord to make claims concerning the Ancient americas and the Indians, for when these men went forth in the americas amongst the Indians wether it be the eskimos in the far north america, or the tribes in the USA, mexico even down to the tip of south america, they were amazed at the common thread amongst all their ancient Traditions and lore, that in the past a White bearded person descended from heaven amongst them, taught them to love one another, he healed their sick and done many wonderous things in their midst, many of said tribes stated He had marks in His hands and feet, that He had been killed by his own people in a land far across the great sea, but such was His power He arose from the dead.
Before leaving the indians He promised to return at the last days....

I have always marvelled that nobody listens to the testimonies of the Americas indigenous peoples concerning this as there is a treasure trove of such amongst said people...

• Agree
Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe there was many devout christians in the 18th and 19th centuries, men well versed in scripture and were men of prayer that were inspired by the Lord to make claims concerning the Ancient americas and the Indians, for when these men went forth in the americas amongst the Indians wether it be the eskimos in the far north america, or the tribes in the USA, mexico even down to the tip of south america, they were amazed at the common thread amongst all their ancient Traditions and lore, that in the past a White bearded person descended from heaven amongst them, taught them to love one another, he healed their sick and done many wonderous things in their midst, many of said tribes stated He had marks in His hands and feet, that He had been killed by his own people in a land far across the great sea, but such was His power He arose from the dead.
Before leaving the indians He promised to return at the last days....

I have always marvelled that nobody listens to the testimonies of the Americas indigenous peoples concerning this as there is a treasure trove of such amongst said people...

I am curious about your sources friend.

Upvote 0