Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When alighting from a plane to a country he was visiting, Pope John Paul II kissed dirt.
His kissing of the Koran ought to be taken in that context.
Koran ≡ dirt. Gotcha.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,595.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When alighting from a plane to a country he was visiting, Pope John Paul II kissed dirt.
His kissing of the Koran ought to be taken in that context.
Actually, when thinking about it, his kissing the dirt after alighting from the plane is equally fraught with potential scandalous interpretations. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what exactly he meant to convey by that action. How does the Catholic Church interpret it?

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, Pope John Paul II thought it to be venerable. Caused a lot of scandal when he kissed it.

0-ist-dieses-bild-echt-oder-eine-fc3a4lschung.jpg

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Prodromos, why do Many judge Pope John Paul II, for Kissing the Koran? Do we know why in his heart he did so? The Answer is No! Then We should not always look at the Negative, We should Look at the Positive side as well, it will stop many from judging. I hope this may open your mind and others to new thoughts, good thoughts and not put downs.

I too, was Judging Pope John Paul II, I was VERY upset even more so than you perhaps, I am Catholic. I prayed on it to Jesus and I believe it was Jesus who gave me this inspiration instead, wether it was the Lord or not, IT STOPED ME FROM JUDGING POPE JOHN PAUL II, Immediately! Amen So it must be of God. Amen

The Inspiration from the Lord was: Do not judge a mans heart, when he does something that seem not right to you, look for the positive as well, for only I know whats in a heart".

I found that Most Christians like yourself right now, do not understand that in the Koran, the name of Jesus Christ our savior is mentioned, not only the name of Jesus Christ is mentioned, Our Blessed mother Mary's name as well, both Jesus & Mary are mention several times in the Koran. Even though the Koran does not accept Jesus Christ as Savior, However, it is by Jesus Christ, that His Name is Written in the Koran, so that many Muslims who read the Koran may come to know Jesus Christ, through the koran, AND MANY HAVE AND NOW ARE CHRISTIANS. Amen

Prodromos, tell me, would you kiss the written name of Jesus Christ in a book, any book even if HIS name is written in the Koran? I come to understand that I would, for the fact that JESUS CHRIST'S Name is written in the Koran. You and many may judge me as kissing the Koran, as you and many now do Pope John Paul II for doing so, but in FACT I am kissing the Name of Jesus Christ, that is in the Koran, not the Koran itself. Only Jesus Christ would know my heart for doing so.

I believe through this inspiration of the Lord to me, that Pope John Paul II, was Kissing the Name of Jesus Christ, that is in the Koran and not the Koran itself. Again, Only God knows the Heart.

Jesus Christ was in the house of a Pharisee an unbeliever in the New Testament, And Jesus Christ name is written in a book/koran of unbelievers! The Point is, in Luke 7: 36-38 a woman came in to a house of an unbeliever, where she began to wash his feet, with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment. IF, this woman can do what she did For Jesus Christ, in a House of an Unbeliever, the Pope can Kiss the Koran, a book of unbelievers in Christ, for the FACT that Jesus Christ Name is written in this UnGodly Book/Koran, where many come to hate the Name of Jesus, here now deserves a Kiss.

Luke 7: 36And one of the Pharisees desired him to eat with him. And he went into the house of the Pharisee, and sat down to meat. 37And behold a woman that was in the city, a sinner, when she knew that he sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment; 38And standing behind at his feet, she began to wash his feet, with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.

Luke 7: 39And the Pharisee, who had invited him, seeing it, spoke within himself, saying: This man, if he were a prophet, would know surely who and what MANNER OF WOMAN this is that toucheth him, that she is a sinner.

Prodromos, Pope John Paul II, knew THE MANNER OF THIS BOOK he knew that he would be judged by Christians like you , me, However, He did not Care, about what people may think, He only Knew that Jesus Christ name is written in this Book Koran, and His Name shall be kissed, honored/WORSHIPPED no mater What Book, Godly or UnGodly His Name is in. It is God who Judges the Heart of Pope John Paul II, NOT US!

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Actually, when thinking about it, his kissing the dirt after alighting from the plane is equally fraught with potential scandalous interpretations. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what exactly he meant to convey by that action. How does the Catholic Church interpret it?

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Prodromos: Is it scandalous that God made man from from the Clay/mud/dirt from the earth? No!

When we kiss one another such as husband and wife, you could say that we are kissing dirt literally. lol When we eat vegetable/salads we partake of what was growing from dirt and at times we can taste the dirt!

So Kissing the Dirt as you stated the Pope did, there is nothing wrong with it. It is showing ones humbleness to God and giving God thanks and Glory wether it be for a safe trip, or what have you.

Prodromos, What this should enlighten you about is, it shows the Humbleness that Pope John Paul II had, humbleness that we don't have, there is your enlightenment and mine.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I found that Most Christians like yourself right now, do not understand that in the Koran, the name of Jesus Christ our savior is mentioned, not only the name of Jesus Christ is mentioned, Our Blessed mother Mary's name as well, both Jesus & Mary are mention several times in the Koran. Even though the Koran does not accept Jesus Christ as Savior, However, it is by Jesus Christ, that His Name is Written in the Koran, so that many Muslims who read the Koran may come to know Jesus Christ, through the koran, AND MANY HAVE AND NOW ARE CHRISTIANS. Amen
True, the name of Jesus is mentioned in the Koran but it is a different Jesus. Issa is not God's Son because in Islam, God does not have a Son and God is not love...Jesus is both.
Also according to Islam, Issa did not die on the cross for our sins...hence a different Jesus.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
True, the name of Jesus is mentioned in the Koran but it is a different Jesus. Issa is not God's Son because in Islam, God does not have a Son and God is not love...Jesus is both.
Also according to Islam, Issa did not die on the cross for our sins...hence a different Jesus.
The differences between Jesus as depicted in the Bible, and in the Koran is about the same as if William Shakespeare was alternately written up as an illiterate lumberjack, and his name was Shirley.

Kellyanne Conway has nothing on Mohammed. The biography of Isa truly is a tale told according to alternate facts.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,595.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Prodromos, why do Many judge Pope John Paul II, for Kissing the Koran? Do we know why in his heart he did so? The Answer is No! Then We should not always look at the Negative, We should Look at the Positive side as well, it will stop many from judging. I hope this may open your mind and others to new thoughts, good thoughts and not put downs.

I too, was Judging Pope John Paul II, I was VERY upset even more so than you perhaps, I am Catholic. I prayed on it to Jesus and I believe it was Jesus who gave me this inspiration instead, wether it was the Lord or not, IT STOPED ME FROM JUDGING POPE JOHN PAUL II, Immediately! Amen So it must be of God. Amen

The Inspiration from the Lord was: Do not judge a mans heart, when he does something that seem not right to you, look for the positive as well, for only I know whats in a heart".

Prodromos, tell me, would you kiss the written name of Jesus Christ in a book, any book even if HIS name is written in the Koran? I come to understand that I would, for the fact that JESUS CHRIST'S Name is written in the Koran. You and many may judge me as kissing the Koran, as you and many now do Pope John Paul II for doing so, but in FACT I am kissing the Name of Jesus Christ, that is in the Koran, not the Koran itself. Only Jesus Christ would know my heart for doing so.

I believe through this inspiration of the Lord to me, that Pope John Paul II, was Kissing the Name of Jesus Christ, that is in the Koran and not the Koran itself. Again, Only God knows the Heart.

Jesus Christ was in the house of a Pharisee an unbeliever in the New Testament, And Jesus Christ name is written in a book/koran of unbelievers! The Point is, in Luke 7: 36-38 a woman came in to a house of an unbeliever, where she began to wash his feet, with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment. IF, this woman can do what she did For Jesus Christ, in a House of an Unbeliever, the Pope can Kiss the Koran, a book of unbelievers in Christ, for the FACT that Jesus Christ Name is written in this UnGodly Book/Koran, where many come to hate the Name of Jesus, here now deserves a Kiss.

Luke 7: 36And one of the Pharisees desired him to eat with him. And he went into the house of the Pharisee, and sat down to meat. 37And behold a woman that was in the city, a sinner, when she knew that he sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment; 38And standing behind at his feet, she began to wash his feet, with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.

Luke 7: 39And the Pharisee, who had invited him, seeing it, spoke within himself, saying: This man, if he were a prophet, would know surely who and what MANNER OF WOMAN this is that toucheth him, that she is a sinner.

Prodromos, Pope John Paul II, knew THE MANNER OF THIS BOOK he knew that he would be judged by Christians like you , me, However, He did not Care, about what people may think, He only Knew that Jesus Christ name is written in this Book Koran, and His Name shall be kissed, honored/WORSHIPPED no mater What Book, Godly or UnGodly His Name is in. It is God who Judges the Heart of Pope John Paul II, NOT US!
The Koran teaches a hideous lie about our Lord God and Saviour, so I can't say that I can see any positive side to this. If you can then good for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,595.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Prodromos: Is it scandalous that God made man from from the Clay/mud/dirt from the earth? No!

When we kiss one another such as husband and wife, you could say that we are kissing dirt literally. lol When we eat vegetable/salads we partake of what was growing from dirt and at times we can taste the dirt!

So Kissing the Dirt as you stated the Pope did, there is nothing wrong with it. It is showing ones humbleness to God and giving God thanks and Glory wether it be for a safe trip, or what have you.

Prodromos, What this should enlighten you about is, it shows the Humbleness that Pope John Paul II had, humbleness that we don't have, there is your enlightenment and mine.
I did not ask for your opinion, I asked for what sayeth the Catholic Church, or if JPII wrote some memoirs about it, what sayeth he. If you cannot furnish either of the above then say so and leave it at that.

Upvote 0

Greyy

Mar 7, 2017
XX
✟9,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately, Pope John Paul II thought it to be venerable. Caused a lot of scandal when he kissed it.

I like it when people post decades old photos with no context and then just insert whatever.

He didn't cause any scandal by this photo. That's why it is spread around by nut jobs decades later with conspiracy theories about how the Pope is a secret Muslim or other such nonsense.

Upvote 0

Greyy

Mar 7, 2017
XX
✟9,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lately, I've heard that when a pope receives a gift it is their tradition to kiss the gift out of a show of respect. Perhaps??
Hopefully no one gives him an arsenic laced gift.

The Pope is a leader of people of many cultures, which means showing respect with respect to each culture.

He's a part diplomat, not a radio talk show host that has the luxury of saying and performing moronic things. He is not an internet poster who speaks without consequence. He is for the Catholic Church, the one to guard over Christ's flock until Christ's return. As far as religious nuts are concerned, the Pope should receive a Quran by wiping his rear end with it. It makes them feel a little more righteous, a little better then the Pope.

The irony is the view that Muslims have over a physical version of the Quran. Christians have worn out bibles, full of notes, highlights, thrown here and there, and rarely protected. It is treated like a paperback book. There is nothing wrong with that. Muslims, on the other hand, place a hugh value on the treatment of a physical copy of the Quran. When dealing with Muslims, or offering them Qurans, in many cases there must be a certain ritual and respect done to not offend them. Thus, to present a Pope with a Quran, knowing full well is he's not going to convert... says something.

But that isn't as self satisfying as internet trolls and tin foil hat wearers rambling on about nonsense.

Upvote 0

Greyy

Mar 7, 2017
XX
✟9,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
With centuries of battling 'the Turks', you'd think there would have been some kind of official statement on the Koran down through history.

That makes no sense. Do you want the Vatican to have top picks of alleged holy books?

For the Catholic Church, religions are divided into heresies (Mormonism, Islam, other Christians derivatives) and "natural religions" (religions formed from various cultures). That is, with the obvious exception of Judaism, religions are either a perversion of Christianity, or a product of a culture attempting to understand themselves and the world.

The Vatican does not rate or call heresies "venerable." The Vatican does not give the best and worst of natural religions list.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,595.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I like it when people post decades old photos with no context and then just insert whatever.

He didn't cause any scandal by this photo. That's why it is spread around by nut jobs decades later with conspiracy theories about how the Pope is a secret Muslim or other such nonsense.
You would have been too young to have been aware of the scandal he caused. I assure you it was very real. I have not, however, ever come across anyone claiming Pope John Paul II was a secret Muslim. Perhaps you could link to some examples of these 'nut jobs'?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Greyy

Mar 7, 2017
XX
✟9,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You would have been too young to have been aware of the scandal he caused.

The photo was taken in 1999, no?

I assure you it was very real. I have not, however, ever come across anyone claiming Pope John Paul II was a secret Muslim. Perhaps you could link to some examples of these 'nut jobs'?

When did I say it wasn't real?

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
In my opinion, Pope John Paul II was not only the most significant and influential figure of my lifetime, but also a truly admirable person, a true saint in every way. He was instrumental in changing the history of the world, and for the better. He was the inspiration that caused walls to crumble, without even a blow of a trumpet, let along a bullet being fired.
He was also a guy who saw some of his Jewish friends of his youth get shoveled into the ovens. That is the context for any of his efforts for outreach to people of other faiths.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Pope is a leader of people of many cultures, which means showing respect with respect to each culture.
Was Peter a leader of Rome or the Christian Church?

Thus, to present a Pope with a Quran, knowing full well is he's not going to convert... says something.
Does the Pope offer as a gift to a Mahdi or a Mufti a bible? Better yet does he share the Gospel (1Cor 15:1-4) with them?...or are these essentially 'political' maneuvers?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,595.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Greyy

Mar 7, 2017
XX
✟9,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Which would have made you 12 or 13 at the time, no? You really had your finger on the pulse of the Catholic Church at that age?

You said:

That was false, I remember it well.

Then you have a very creative memory. If you go to any parish today for anyone alive at that time, and ask them, they have no idea what you are talking about. In 1999, most information was brought to people by newspapers and television, and this was something no one cared about then and no one cares about now. That's why we have topics like this and blogs with this obscure, poor quality photo wondering what in the heck this is and causing people to speculate.

Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0