Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Does anyone have any official catholic statement that is clear and concise (not nuanced) as to where the Pope stands when it comes to the Koran itself?
Official Catholic statements basically ignore the Koran. For example, the documents of Vatican II quote the Bible a few thousand times and the Koran not at all. Same for the Catechism of the Catholic Church. The Koran doesn't rate. The Bible does.At least in official Catholic statements.

I think you wanted to know about Pope Francis and the Koran though. I found this:
“Jesus Christ, Jehovah, Allah. These are all names employed to describe an entity that is distinctly the same across the world. For centuries, blood has been needlessly shed because of the desire to segregate our faiths. This, however, should be the very concept which unites us as people, as nations, and as a world bound by faith. Together, we can bring about an unprecedented age of peace, all we need to achieve such a state is respect each others beliefs, for we are all children of God regardless of the name we choose to address him by. We can accomplish miraculous things in the world by merging our faiths, and the time for such a movement is now. No longer shall we slaughter our neighbors over differences in reference to their God.”

And that pope Francis said "The Koran and the Holy Bible are the same."

That's crazy pope Francis. Except in this case it's not. It's fake news traced back to the National report (Pope Francis To Followers: "Koran And Holy Bible Are The Same") and has been taken up by other gullible news sites. Snopes lists it as fake here: FALSE: Pope Francis to Followers: “Koran and Holy Bible Are the Same” and Right Wing Watch list it as fake here: Drudge Report Falls For Fake Story About ‘Antichrist’ Pope Merging Islam And Christianity | Right Wing Watch

Lots of people got suckered in by this. The Drudge Report and the Christian Post got snookered. It's probably still spreading.

As to whatever the pope may actually think about the Koran? It seems almost impossible to find because it is overwhelmed by this fake news story. But I did find something else interesting. Apparently the pope said "The Koran is a book of peace." Except what he really said, not how it was reported, is that 'Muslims claim the Koran is a book of peace." Rather different. Pope Francis not very careful when speaking. He puts his foot in his mouth regularly. But on this one he was misquoted. And that's real common too. Some journalists are sloppy and others have an agenda. Don't trust what they say the pope said. And if Francis did say something crazy, like he tends to do when speaking off-the-cuff, discount that too.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Official Catholic statements basically ignore the Koran. For example, the documents of Vatican II quote the Bible a few thousand times and the Koran not at all. Same for the Catechism of the Catholic Church. The Koran doesn't rate. The Bible does.At least in official Catholic statements.

I think you wanted to know about Pope Francis and the Koran though. I found this:

And that pope Francis said "The Koran and the Holy Bible are the same."

That's crazy pope Francis. Except in this case it's not. It's fake news traced back to the National report (Pope Francis To Followers: "Koran And Holy Bible Are The Same") and has been taken up by other gullible news sites. Snopes lists it as fake here: FALSE: Pope Francis to Followers: “Koran and Holy Bible Are the Same” and Right Wing Watch list it as fake here: Drudge Report Falls For Fake Story About ‘Antichrist’ Pope Merging Islam And Christianity | Right Wing Watch

Lots of people got suckered in by this. The Drudge Report and the Christian Post got snookered. It's probably still spreading.

As to whatever the pope may actually think about the Koran? It seems almost impossible to find because it is overwhelmed by this fake news story. But I did find something else interesting. Apparently the pope said "The Koran is a book of peace." Except what he really said, not how it was reported, is that 'Muslims claim the Koran is a book of peace." Rather different. Pope Francis not very careful when speaking. He puts his foot in his mouth regularly. But on this one he was misquoted. And that's real common too. Some journalists are sloppy and others have an agenda. Don't trust what they say the pope said. And if Francis did say something crazy, like he tends to do when speaking off-the-cuff, discount that too.
I've realized all that about the fake news so I went 'googling' catholic sources but still came up empty. I found that some popes back in history had some not so nice things to say about the Koran though....but maybe they had fake news back then too lol.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,656.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, Pope John Paul II thought it to be venerable. Caused a lot of scandal when he kissed it.

0-ist-dieses-bild-echt-oder-eine-fc3a4lschung.jpg

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I've realized all that about the fake news so I went 'googling' catholic sources but still came up empty. I found that some popes back in history had some not so nice things to say about the Koran though....but maybe they had fake news back then too lol.
Well, officially the Koran is nothing. Vatican II didn't mention it in the document on Revelation. Kind of like how it didn't mention the Upanishads either. Pope John Paul mistakenly kissed a Koran. That was a dumb one. I doubt he would have done it had he thought it through first. Pope Benedict hinted that if Islam wants to be a religion of peace they should act peacefully. Muslims rioted and murdered at the insult to their religion of peace. Pope Francis seems to think we should all consider Islam to be a religion of peace. Yeah, right. Dialogue with Muslims, sure. Accepting Islam, and the Koran or the Hadiths, no way.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Unfortunately, Pope John Paul II thought it to be venerable. Caused a lot of scandal when he kissed it.

0-ist-dieses-bild-echt-oder-eine-fc3a4lschung.jpg
Bad move on his part. Whoever set that event up blew it. I doubt the Imam would have kissed a Bible. "Oh no, can't do that, against our great Muslim religion." Somebody show me where I'm wrong and the Imam here kissed a Bible a few seconds later.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, officially the Koran is nothing. Vatican II didn't mention it in the document on Revelation.
With centuries of battling 'the Turks', you'd think there would have been some kind of official statement on the Koran down through history.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
With centuries of battling 'the Turks', you'd think there would have been some kind of official statement on the Koran down through history.
Well maybe there is somewhere but amazingly the Catholic Church just doesn't have official statements on everything. Unless you consider the calling of a crusade an 'official statement', but even there I don't know if the Koran was ever explicitly mentioned.

Oh, by the way, looking for some Catholic statements on the Koran I did find the delusional idea, posted on a rabid anti-Catholic site, that the Catholic Church started Islam. Alberto Rivera, who claimed to have been a Jesuit before he became a Protestant, claims a Catholic cardinal told him all about it. I'd pass on the link, but I don't want to perpetuate that old bit of fake news. Someone might think I believe that load of droppings. Fake news isn't new.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I was just noticing that cardinal(?) in red, he seems to be in full approval mode.
I could say something uncharitable about his intelligence but I'll hold back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,656.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
  • Haha
Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, by the way, looking for some Catholic statements on the Koran I did find the delusional idea, posted on a rabid anti-Catholic site, that the Catholic Church started Islam. Alberto Rivera, who claimed to have been a Jesuit before he became a Protestant, claims a Catholic cardinal told him all about it
A la Chick tracts? Umm, no. I may not be Roman Catholic but neither am I gullible.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A la Chick tracts? Umm, no. I may not be Roman Catholic but neither am I gullible.
I'm glad. Post #11 has ruined this thread for me. Perhaps we can discuss things in another thread some day in the future. You asked a good question. It gets at political correctness about Islam and an appraisal of their book that might not make Muslims happy. Anyhow, I'm gone from this thread. Ruined and all. But thanks for a good discussion.

Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lately, I've heard that when a pope receives a gift it is their tradition to kiss the gift out of a show of respect. Perhaps??
Hopefully no one gives him an arsenic laced gift.

Upvote 0

mea kulpa

Benedictine Traditional Catholic
Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This article should help everyone understand the Roman catholic church The Antichrist Is Hidden In Plain Sight

He is right... to a degree and i am a catholic

Its not the head of the catholic faith but the head of the apostate catholic faith masqurading as the true catholic faith... even our own catechism states this fact

"The Church's ultimate trial

675 Before Christ's second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers.574 The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth575 will unveil the "mystery of iniquity" in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.576" CCC

Catechism of the Catholic Church - "From thence He will come again to judge the living and the dead"

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,656.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When alighting from a plane to a country he was visiting, Pope John Paul II kissed dirt.
His kissing of the Koran ought to be taken in that context.
What context should I take for his kissing of the Gospels? The same?

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
What context should I take for his kissing of the Gospels? The same?
Is there anything that you have ever seen about the Pope John Paul II that would ever make you think that he was less than a fully committed Christian in love with the faith?

If not, then not the same.

Upvote 0