Pope Says 'No' to Sports on Sunday

AsburyJuke

Feb 19, 2004
✟8,123.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Andre3000 said:
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope John Paul on Friday said Sunday should be a day for God, not for secular diversions like entertainment and sports.

"When Sunday loses its fundamental meaning and becomes subordinate to a secular concept of 'weekend' dominated by such things as entertainment and sport, people stay locked within a horizon so narrow that they can no longer see the heavens," the pontiff said in a speech to Australian bishops...

(see thw whole story)
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040326/od_nm/pope_sport_dc

Honestly, I think the Pope is going a little overboard by saying that people should not watch or participate in sports on Sunday. He says that it undermines family life, but I can easily argue that organized sports bring a families and communities closer together. What does everyone else think?

Firstly, IMO, it's up to God and God alone to tell others what to do. I personally think the comfortable life the Pope leads and all the lavish religious ceremonies go against Jesus's teachings, but hey - judge not lest ye be judged.

If someone is a real Christian whole week should be devoted to God, not just Sunday. Sports and stuff are fine, as long as we don't let them take over.

IMHO, being a good Christian is about what is in our hearts and what we do from hour to hour during the week, rather than being on our best behaviour on Sunday, and what we outwardly do.

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
.:Mod hat on:.

I've noticed a bit of anti-Catholic flaming in various posts and I want to pout a lid on it right now:

[noflame]
[notroll]

This thread is being watched. Any more rule violations and it may be closed. :)

Upvote 0

Blessed75

Jun 24, 2003
✟5,134.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Andre3000 said:
Honestly, I think the Pope is going a little overboard by saying that people should not watch or participate in sports on Sunday. He says that it undermines family life, but I can easily argue that organized sports bring a families and communities closer together. What does everyone else think?
I agree with you -

Upvote 0

Andre3000

Feb 20, 2004
✟917.00
Faith
Atheist
That's not the point of the thread Mike. You're right...he didn't say "no" to sports on Sunday, he said Sunday is not a day for sports. If you read in context you can see that the word 'no' and 'not' have the same implication: that secular diversions like sports are not to occur on Sundays via the order of the Pope.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,743.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Science Girl said:
Sports are a very wholesome and Godly recreation, you only Honor Christ by watching sports on Sunday.

Yeah, like when a linebacker pulverizes a quarterback and sends him off the field on a stretcher. Or when a hockey player pile drives the opponent into the ice. That's much more wholesome than, say, seeing a bare breast on television.

Upvote 0

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Andre3000 said:
That's not the point of the thread Mike. You're right...he didn't say "no" to sports on Sunday, he said Sunday is not a day for sports. If you read in context you can see that the word 'no' and 'not' have the same implication: that secular diversions like sports are not to occur on Sundays via the order of the Pope.
Good God Almighty - can you read? Where exactly does he say "Sunday is not a day for sports"?? Where does he say that "diversions like sports are not to occur on Sundays? This is really priceless. You're getting good training for a career in journalism.
"When Sunday loses its fundamental meaning and becomes subordinate to a secular concept of 'weekend,' dominated by such things as entertainment and sport, people stay locked within a horizon so narrow that they can no longer see the heavens," the Pontiff said.
M

Upvote 0