Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ROME (OSV News) — While memories of the shocking moment when Pope Benedict XVI resigned Feb. 11, 2013, are still fresh for the German pope’s collaborators, it is Pope Francis who reflects on Benedict’s historic decision in a newly published book interview.

“He was a man who had the courage to resign and, from that moment on, he continued to accompany the church and his successor,” the pope told Javier Martínez-Brocal, Vatican correspondent of the Spanish newspaper ABC.

In “Pope Francis: The Successor. My Memories of Benedict XVI,” set to be published in Spanish April 3, the pontiff told Martínez-Brocal what it was like to live for a decade with the first pope emeritus in 600 years.

“Benedict and I had a very deep relationship and I want it to be known, I want it to be known without intermediaries,” Pope Francis said.

Pope Francis admits in the book they disagreed at times. “Sometimes I would raise an issue; sometimes Benedict did. ‘I am concerned about this problem,’ one would say to the other,” Pope Francis recalled. “We would talk about everything, very freely,” he told Martínez-Brocal.

Why did Pope Benedict resign?​

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
ROME (OSV News) — While memories of the shocking moment when Pope Benedict XVI resigned Feb. 11, 2013, are still fresh for the German pope’s collaborators, it is Pope Francis who reflects on Benedict’s historic decision in a newly published book interview.

“He was a man who had the courage to resign and, from that moment on, he continued to accompany the church and his successor,” the pope told Javier Martínez-Brocal, Vatican correspondent of the Spanish newspaper ABC.

In “Pope Francis: The Successor. My Memories of Benedict XVI,” set to be published in Spanish April 3, the pontiff told Martínez-Brocal what it was like to live for a decade with the first pope emeritus in 600 years.

“Benedict and I had a very deep relationship and I want it to be known, I want it to be known without intermediaries,” Pope Francis said.

Pope Francis admits in the book they disagreed at times. “Sometimes I would raise an issue; sometimes Benedict did. ‘I am concerned about this problem,’ one would say to the other,” Pope Francis recalled. “We would talk about everything, very freely,” he told Martínez-Brocal.

Why did Pope Benedict resign?​

Continued below.
Does pope Francis have that same courage to resign?

Upvote 0