Oneofthediaspora

Jul 9, 2008
Liverpool
✟9,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You're still failing to recognize that marriage as a legal practice is different than it is as a religious practice. Nobody is talking about what your church has to recognize; we don't care what your church recognises

And this is the really important point. In the Catholic Church marriage is a sacrament. There are very specific rules that apply before this sacrament can be given. The Church recognises its own marriage.
Outside of the Church, marriage is something different. It is not a sacrament. It is a legal phenomenon.

As far as I am concerned in a secular society a man can a marry a man and a woman can marry a woman and either of them can marry their favourite teddy bear if they want because secular marriage is totally different to Catholic marriage and so it should be.
No-one wants to live in a theocracy. The rules of my Church are for the people who are in the Church.

Upvote 0
B

Braunwyn

As far as I am concerned in a secular society a man can a marry a man and a woman can marry a woman and either of them can marry their favourite teddy bear if they want because secular marriage is totally different to Catholic marriage and so it should be.
No-one wants to live in a theocracy. The rules of my Church are for the people who are in the Church.
Great post. And I'm sure christians that aren't Catholic wouldn't appreciate it if Catholics tried to enforce their rules onto them. I'd bet on that in a heart beat.

Maybe I'm wrong, so I'll ask. Would it bother you?

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Personally, I am opposed to giving people the right to legally marry their teddy bears - even if it´s their favourite teddy bears. Then again, I wouldn´t mind churches marrying people to teddy bears, though.

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
In the interests of informed debate, members will not speak in a disrespectful way of The Christian God, The Trinity, or The Holy Scriptures (The Bible) . A similar respect is expected towards the faith and sacred texts of other religions.
Expressing disbelief in God is acceptable, referring to Him as a 'fairy tale' or 'mythical being' is not.

It's funny how cf's idea of "Informed debate" tries to handicap one side of the argument isn't it?

Reactions: Wyzaard
Upvote 0

OphidiaPhile

Sep 26, 2008
Northern California
✟3,947.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How is calling God a fairytale contributing to an informed debate?
Because that is a nice way of saying what many of us believe and it actually fits the general idea of what a fairy tale is.

Upvote 0

angellica

Jul 11, 2008
Memphis
✟8,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Because that is a nice way of saying what many of us believe and it actually fits the general idea of what a fairy tale is.
It's not really nice because a fairy tale is something children believe in, but when they grow older and wiser they do not. By referring to God like that, you are implying that we are childlike and therefore not as wise as you believe you are.

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's not really nice because a fairy tale is something children believe in, but when they grow older and wiser they do not. By referring to God like that, you are implying that we are childlike and therefore not as wise as you believe you are.

When you believe in invisible beings who do magical things why should you expect people to not think you believe in fairy tales?

Upvote 0

OphidiaPhile

Sep 26, 2008
Northern California
✟3,947.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That would basically be correct but I would use willfully ignorant instead of wise.

Upvote 0

angellica

Jul 11, 2008
Memphis
✟8,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That would basically be correct but I would use willfully ignorant instead of wise.
It's not really nice because a fairy tale is something children believe in, but when they grow older and wiser they do not. By referring to God like that, you are implying that we are childlike and therefore not as willfully ignorant as you believe you are.

lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angellica

Jul 11, 2008
Memphis
✟8,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
When you believe in invisible beings who do magical things why should you expect people to not think you believe in fairy tales?
Well, it appears that you know little or nothing about what Christianity is.

Upvote 0

OphidiaPhile

Sep 26, 2008
Northern California
✟3,947.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, it appears that you know little or nothing about what Christianity is.
Just because you believe it does not mean that it is ridiculous to many people and yes you have to suspend your logic system to believe that an omnipotent being in the sky created the universe and all within it, that is very much like much of mythology or of fairy tales, you would not believe other religions and scoff at the many things they believe but because you grew up with the Christian version of those things it is not strange to you.

Upvote 0

angellica

Jul 11, 2008
Memphis
✟8,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just because you believe it does not mean that it is ridiculous to many people and yes you have to suspend your logic system to believe that an omnipotent being in the sky created the universe and all within it, that is very much like much of mythology or of fairy tales, you would not believe other religions and scoff at the many things they believe but because you grew up with the Christian version of those things it is not strange to you.
I find thinking that everything randomly happened and we evolved to be strange.

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's funny how cf's idea of "Informed debate" tries to handicap one side of the argument isn't it?
Indeed.

And I've never heard anyone whining and complaining about the constant referral to the theory of evolution as a fairy tale.

Advantage - Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OphidiaPhile

Sep 26, 2008
Northern California
✟3,947.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I find thinking that everything randomly happened and we evolved to be strange.
But you choose to believe in something that has no actual evidence that supports it over things that do have lots of evidence to support them, that is not logical.

And then you always say that we do not understand Christianity when in fact you do not remotely understand the science you so nonchalantly dismiss and act as if you have no desire to learn otherwise.

Upvote 0

corvus_corax

Naclist Hierophant and Prophet
Jan 19, 2005
Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I find thinking that everything randomly happened ...
And who states that?
Because I find that a strange belief as well.
Now don't go saying that "atheists" or "scientists" say that (although some atheists might).
Who, I mean really, WHO says that "everything randomly happened"?
Yep, calling you out on your apparent strawman argument. :wave:

Upvote 0

angellica

Jul 11, 2008
Memphis
✟8,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And who states that?
Because I find that a strange belief as well.
Now don't go saying that "atheists" or "scientists" say that (although some atheists might).
Who, I mean really, WHO says that "everything randomly happened"?
Yep, calling you out on your apparent strawman argument. :wave:
That was my point - what I said about evolution makes as much sense as saying God is a fairy tale. Evolution is about more than "everything randomly happened" just like God is more than an invisible being that does "magic" as someone said earlier.

Upvote 0

MaxP

Dec 17, 2008
✟9,069.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
Indeed.

And I've never heard anyone whining and complaining about the constant referral to the theory of evolution as a fairy tale.

Advantage - Christians.
Woohooo!

Haha, just kidding, but in all fairness, it is a Christian forum. You're bound to have some skew.
You're saying atheist forum rules don't reflect the ideology of its owners and operators?
It's just how it is.

Upvote 0

SiderealExalt

Feb 25, 2007
✟3,309.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That was my point - what I said about evolution makes as much sense as saying God is a fairy tale. Evolution is about more than "everything randomly happened" just like God is more than an invisible being that does "magic" as someone said earlier.

One of those has evidence, the other does not. Anyway, that is an entirely different discussion that doesn't pertain to this thread. So my suggestion is we mosey back on to the topic.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.