Pope Francis will deceive the world under a garb of holiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2012
✟886.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Look at the evidence: Priest sex scandals, Vatican Bank scandals, all the while Pope Francis claiming to be the Supreme Pontiff of Christendom.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Pope

Primacy of honour: titles and insignia

Certain titles and distinctive marks of honour are assigned to the pope alone; these constitute what is termed his primacy of honour. These prerogatives are not, as are his jurisdictional rights, attached jure divino to his office. They have grown up in the course of history, and are consecrated by the usage of centuries; yet they are not incapable of modification.

Titles

Pope

The most noteworthy of the titles are Papa, Summus Pontifex, Pontifex Maximus, Servus servorum Dei. The title pope (papa) was, as has been stated, at one time employed with far more latitude. In the East it has always been used to designate simple priests. In the Western Church, however, it seems from the beginning to have been restricted to bishops (Tertullian, On Modesty 13). It was apparently in the fourth century that it began to become a distinctive title of the Roman Pontiff. Pope Siricius (d. 398) seems so to use it (Ep. vi in P.L., XIII, 1164), and Ennodius of Pavia (d. 473) employs it still more clearly in this sense in a letter to Pope Symmachus (P.L., LXIII, 69). Yet as late as the seventh century St. Gall (d. 640) addresses Desiderius of Cahors as papa (P.L., LXXXVII, 265). Gregory VII finally prescribed that it should be confined to the successors of Peter.

Pontiff

The terms Pontifex Maximus, Summus Pontifex, were doubtless originally employed with reference to the Jewish high-priest, whose place the Christian bishops were regarded as holding each in his own diocese (Epistle of Clement 40). As regards the title Pontifex Maximus, especially in its application to the pope, there was further a reminiscence of the dignity attached to that title in pagan Rome. Tertullian, as has already been said, uses the phrase of Pope Callistus. Though his words are ironical, they probably indicate that Catholics already applied it to the pope. But here too the terms were once less narrowly restricted in their use. Pontifex summus was used of the bishop of some notable see in relation to those of less importance. Hilary of Arles (d. 449) is so styled by Eucherius of Lyons (P.L., L, 773), and Lanfranc is termed "primas et pontifex summus" by his biographer, Milo Crispin (P.L., CL, 10). Pope Nicholas I is termed "summus pontifex et universalis papa" by his legate Arsenius (Hardouin "Conc.", V, 280), and subsequent examples are common. After the eleventh century it appears to be only used of the popes.

Servant of the Servants of God

The phrase Servus servorum Dei is now so entirely a papal title that a Bull in which it should be wanting would be reckoned unauthentic. Yet this designation also was once applied to others. Augustine (Ep. 217 a. d. Vitalem) entitles himself "servus Christi et per Ipsum servus servorum Ipsius". Desiderius of Cahors made use of it (Thomassin, "Ecclesiae nov. et vet. disc.", pt. I, I. I, c. iv, n. 4): so also did St. Boniface (740), the apostle of Germany (P.L., LXXIX, 700). The first of the popes to adopt it was seemingly Gregory I; he appears to have done so in contrast to the claim put forward by the Patriarch of Constantinople to the title of universal bishop (P.L., LXXV, 87). The restriction of the term to the pope alone began in the ninth century.

Insignia and marks of honour

Tiara

The pope is distinguished by the use of the tiara or triple crown.
At what date the custom of crowning the pope was introduced is unknown. It was certainly previous to the forged donation of Constantine, which dates from the commencement of the ninth century, for mention is there made of the pope's coronation. The triple crown is of much later origin.

Cross

The pope moreover does not, like ordinary bishops, use the bent pastoral staff, but only the erect cross. This custom was introduced before the reign of Innocent III (1198-1216) (cap. un. X de sacra unctione, I, 15).

Pallium

He further uses the pallium at all ecclesiastical functions, and not under the same restrictions as do the archbishops on whom he has conferred it.

Kiss

The kissing of the pope's foot — the characteristic act of reverence by which all the faithful do honour to him as the vicar of Christ — is found as early as the eighth century. We read that Emperor Justinian II paid this respect to Pope Constantine (708-16) (Anastasius Bibl. in P.L., CXXVIII 949). Even at an earlier date Emperor Justin had prostrated himself before Pope John I (523-6; op. cit., 515), and Justinian I before Agapetus (535-6; op. cit., 551). The pope, it may be added, ranks as the first of Christian princes, and in Catholic countries his ambassadors have precedence over other members of the diplomatic body.

(For the full list of men who have held this office, see LIST OF POPES.)

Lovely Jar

Pray Out Loud
Jun 24, 2013
✟2,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll just dare to say this and see how it works out.
In short it appears that the purpose, the motive, for your thread is to say in a round about way that it is your belief the current Pope is the Antichrist.

True or False?
Yes or No.
One word, simple answer.

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2012
✟886.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'll just dare to say this and see how it works out.
In short it appears that the purpose, the motive, for your thread is to say in a round about way that it is your belief the current Pope is the Antichrist.

True or False?
Yes or No.
One word, simple answer.

Thank you in advance.

True. But, let me ask you a question: Do you believe in freedom of speech?

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2012
✟886.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm no Catholic, but I have pretty good respect for this current pope. He seems like a cool guy.

Friend, didn't you read the title of this thread? Pope Francis is so deceptive in that he is able to impress people the world with his acts of charity and mercy, but all the while claiming the title Pontifex Maximus over all of Christendom.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2012
✟886.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Its widely known christianity was hijacked by Rome a long time ago, just like in America today christianity is hijacked by right wing politics, in both situations it was wrong, but it doesn't mean Pope Francis is anything more than a loving christian man.

Says who? Have you not read the History of the Jesuits? The Jesuits are game changers. Jesuit+Pope=Antichrist on steroids.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Your comment belies you are controlled by modern political correctness, and don't allow others their free speech unless it agrees with your view of things.

One could argue your comments border on defamation of a great Christian leader, free speech doesn't permit that.

Do you not know that the majority of Protestants for hundreds of years, believed the Pope of Rome to be the Antichrist?

Some do, others don't. Most people understand this not to be the case.

You are dead wrong.

You think any of us are going to swallow this spoonful of quasi-revisionist SDA pseudo-history? Nothin' doin'.

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have noticed that those denominations and sects that are most virulent in their attacks on the Roman Catholic Church are also those who would like nothing better than to have the power and authority that the RCC had 600 years ago. Shouldn't that be telling us something concerning their true motives?

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Its widely known christianity was hijacked by Rome a long time ago,

Um, no. While the Papacy was certainly corrupt, there were plenty of reforms and calls for them throughout the years.

but it doesn't mean Pope Francis is anything more than a loving christian man.

QFT.

Your comment belies you are controlled by modern political correctness, and don't allow others their free speech unless it agrees with your view of things.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Do you not know that the majority of Protestants for hundreds of years, believed the Pope of Rome to be the Antichrist?

Does that mean they are right?

Says who? Have you not read the History of the Jesuits? The Jesuits are game changers. Jesuit+Pope=Antichrist on steroids.

I'm a historian; you are wrong. Conspiracy theories are rot.

You are dead wrong.

He is right.

One could argue your comments border on defamation of a great Christian leader, free speech doesn't permit that.

Some do, others don't. Most people understand this not to be the case.

You think any of us are going to swallow this spoonful of quasi-revisionist SDA pseudo-history? Nothin' doin'.

QFT, particularly the part I bolded.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
L

LST 1154

(From the June 19 2013 Journal Gazette a Fort Wayne Newspaper) FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Indiana's NewsCenter: News, Sports, Weather, Fort Wayne WPTA-TV, WISE-TV, and CW) - Fr. Cornelius Ryan, CSC, has been removed as administrator of St. Joseph Catholic Church-Hessen Cassel after being accused of sexual abuse. Ryan was removed from public ministry June 10 in accordance with laws of the Roman Catholic Church and the Superior of the Congregation of Holy Cross is handling the case, the diocese says. Ryan was appointed administrator of St. Joseph-Hessen Cassel in December 2011, after the parish pastor, Fr. Thomas Lombardi, was accused of sexual abuse of a minor during Lombardi's time at a previous church. The Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith continues its review of Lombardi's allegations, according to the diocese. Lombardi remains pastor of St. Joe-Hessen Cassel, but has not performed public ministry since his removal.

So Father Ryan relieved Father Lombardi due to sexual abuse then Ryan did the same thing. No wonder people think of Christians as a bunch of perverts.

LST

Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

I like how when you are pointed our for your absurdities you hide behind 'free speech'. People have a right to say ridiculous things, just as others have a right to ridicule them for it.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
(From the June 19 2013 Journal Gazette a Fort Wayne Newspaper) FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Indiana's NewsCenter: News, Sports, Weather, Fort Wayne WPTA-TV, WISE-TV, and CW) - Fr. Cornelius Ryan, CSC, has been removed as administrator of St. Joseph Catholic Church-Hessen Cassel after being accused of sexual abuse. Ryan was removed from public ministry June 10 in accordance with laws of the Roman Catholic Church and the Superior of the Congregation of Holy Cross is handling the case, the diocese says. Ryan was appointed administrator of St. Joseph-Hessen Cassel in December 2011, after the parish pastor, Fr. Thomas Lombardi, was accused of sexual abuse of a minor during Lombardi's time at a previous church. The Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith continues its review of Lombardi's allegations, according to the diocese. Lombardi remains pastor of St. Joe-Hessen Cassel, but has not performed public ministry since his removal.

So Father Ryan relieved Father Lombardi due to sexual abuse then Ryan did the same thing. No wonder people think of Christians as a bunch of perverts.

LST

Removing a sexual-abusing priest is...bad?

This...made no sense. Most pedophiles are pretty good at hiding the fact close and upfront when you see them that they are pedophiles. I can, unfortunately in today's world, see a circumstance where anyone is fired for such inappropriate activity only to be replaced by someone who did the same thing.

The fact that he was removed, and swiftly it seems, is proof that the Vatican Catholic Church is getting its act together, not that it doesn't care.

Upvote 0
L

LST 1154

Removing a sexual-abusing priest is...bad?

This...made no sense. Most pedophiles are pretty good at hiding the fact close and upfront when you see them that they are pedophiles. I can, unfortunately in today's world, see a circumstance where anyone is fired for such inappropriate activity only to be replaced by someone who did the same thing.

The fact that he was removed, and swiftly it seems, is proof that the Vatican Catholic Church is getting its act together, not that it doesn't care.

Yeah it was swift alright. Fr. Ryan sexually abused a minor about 20 years ago while serving in Africa according to another newspaper account.

The facts about the other priest alleges that Father Lombardi sexually abused a 16 year old boy at the address of St. Louis Besancon (New Haven) Parish at some time before July 1997. Father Lombardi was pastor of St. Louis from 1986 to July 1997.

LST

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.