Pope Francis supports undocumented, refugees, and compassion

Do you agree with Pope Francis on standing with migrants?

• Yes, we should be more welcoming of undocumented migrants/refugees

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No, do not agree with Pope Francis

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Raphael Jauregui

Episcopalian, liberal Anglican, Mdiv
May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
On this, I agree with Pope Francis. While I am not Catholic, I appreciate the humanitarian values of this pope and his commitment to Scripture which exhorts us to welcome the stranger, including, yes, immigrants, and to love our neighbours as ourselves including, yes, our immigrant neighbours. I am glad that Pope Francis recognises this truth.

Pope Francis to activists: Stand with migrants, do not deny climate science, there is no such thing as ‘Islamic terrorism’
Completely disagree with him. If it were up to me there would be an indefinite hiatus when it comes to immigration.

• Winner
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
On this, I agree with Pope Francis. While I am not Catholic, I appreciate the humanitarian values of this pope and his commitment to Scripture which exhorts us to welcome the stranger, including, yes, immigrants, and to love our neighbours as ourselves including, yes, our immigrant neighbours. I am glad that Pope Francis recognises this truth.

Pope Francis to activists: Stand with migrants, do not deny climate science, there is no such thing as ‘Islamic terrorism’

I'm picturing Jesus on the last day with the sheep on His right the goats on His left.

I can hear him commending those on the right for "Because I was a refugee and you took me in".

I have a hard time hearing Him offering the alternate commendment - "Because I was a citizen you kept safe by keeping refugees from sullying your nation".

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I disagree.

It is not "disowning neighbors", or "denying them their humanity" when we don't invite them all into our homes. Maybe we should also end criminal punishment, and free all the prisoners too, since that's a form of "denying them their humanity"?

...There are details being ignored. Lots and lots of details. And alternative solutions too!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I disagree.

It is not "disowning neighbors", or "denying them their humanity" when we don't invite them all into our homes. Maybe we should also end criminal punishment, and free all the prisoners too, since that's a form of "denying them their humanity"?

...There are details being ignored. Lots and lots of details. And alternative solutions too!

Letting refugees into our nation is not the same as having them into our homes.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have a hard time hearing Him offering the alternate commendment - "Because I was a citizen you kept safe by keeping refugees from sullying your nation".

when you use words like "sullying" you just sound like the fear is based on pompousness

on the news tonight a man was arrested for raping an underage teen girl
he was deported before because he came here illegally
then he snuck back into the USA and this time he raped a girl

if we did not have porous boarders, that girl would not have been raped

or we can talk about stagnation of wages and the flood of unskilled labor?
that is another factor

there are dozens of factors, things to think about, we should try to be honest about both sides

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Letting refugees into our nation is not the same as having them into our homes.

Very true. But, when we use solely the scriptures to determine the former, how can we not say the scriptures also advise us of the latter too? It would be the same, would it not?

The point I'm trying to make is that there are other logical factors we should be considering.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
To me, the Bible is very clear about how we are to treat foreigners and those in need.

the Bible is also very clear about rules for what tribes Israelite were allowed to mix with, who they could intermarry with, who they could tolerate to live beside

it is clear that ancient Israel understood that not all cultures were compatible

we can look at the Holy Family
they went from one part of the Roman Empire to another part of the Roman Empire while they were under direct and personal threat and as soon as the threat was ended they went back to their homeland
I do not think this gives us a clear hard rule for ideas on mass migration

in fact, being overrun by foreigners was often seen as a curse in the OT was it not?

Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
when you use words like "sullying" you just sound like the fear is based on pompousness

that is another factor

there are dozens of factors, things to think about, we should try to be honest about both sides

Citizens already here also rape people. These refugees come here out of great desperation from intolerable places. Let them die is your solution, but it doesn't sound Christian to me.

• Agree
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Citizens already here also rape people.
yeah, I never said that rape would never exist if we did not have immigration
I pointed out that this specific young woman would not have been raped if we had better boarder control

These refugees come here out of great desperation from intolerable places. Let them die is your solution, but it doesn't sound Christian to me.

my solution would be to set up refugee camps in federal owned land in the American South West
they are NOT given liberty to move around the nation as they please, they are NOT given a fast track to citizenship, and as soon as their homeland is stabilized they return to the country they are citizens of

that way they are protected, and the USA is also protected

so no, my solution is not to just let them die
oh, well this would also be for women, children, and the elderly
men of military age should be fighting for their country if their country is in horrible danger

I am willing to compromise on this last part
if cowards want to hide from their obligation to fight for their nation, I guess they should not die and they could hide in refugee camps with the women and children while real men fight for their country

Upvote 0

LostFarmer

what ever
Mar 1, 2012
EARTH
✟61,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm picturing Jesus on the last day with the sheep on His right the goats on His left.

I can hear him commending those on the right for "Because I was a refugee and you took me in".

How many do you have in your house ?? If none then you will hear, you did not take me in . A county is not you.

How many $$ are you sending to Christian groups that help keep the people safe in their own country ? ( it is more cost effective, you can help more people for the same cost )

I will now yell, separation of Church and State.

Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

that is another factor

You can't judge a whole group for one criminal. A person who commits a crime, especially a violent crime like you mentioned, must be held accountable and justice must be applied. That person does not represent everyone else. There are citizens that do what you mentioned. If the US didn't exist, that wouldn't happen either. If humans didn't exist, none of it would happened. So, your argument is fallacious.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
yeah, I never said that rape would never exist if we did not have immigration
I pointed out that this specific young woman would not have been raped if we had better boarder control

my solution would be to set up refugee camps in federal owned land in the American South West
they are NOT given liberty to move around the nation as they please, they are NOT given a fast track to citizenship, and as soon as their homeland is stabilized they return to the country they are citizens of

that way they are protected, and the USA is also protected

so no, my solution is not to just let them die
oh, well this would also be for women, children, and the elderly
men of military age should be fighting for their country if their country is in horrible danger

I am willing to compromise on this last part
if cowards want to hide from their obligation to fight for their nation, I guess they should not die and they could hide in refugee camps with the women and children while real men fight for their country

I think a lot of it boils down to tolerance of sin too. A lot of foreign countries have normalized obvious sins such as corruption. These are societies with governing officials who lie, cheat, and steal food out of the mouths of their own citizens, and they are the ones who are causing the migration and starvation crisis all around the world. It seems to be a global epidemic. But even here in America, it's become very unfashionable to criticize sin openly. It's almost untolerated.

...I wonder who, if anyone, is going to be left to carry the Christian torch? The big beacon of Influence is fading, as the world falls into ignorance of sin. How sad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Raphael Jauregui

May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Completely disagree with him. If it were up to me there would be an indefinite hiatus when it comes to immigration.
So, you're against all immigrants, then? I will make sure to mention that I saw a comment then with someone wanting to stop legal immigration since conservatives always claim that's not what they want. Yet, it is what they mean.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are plenty of alternative solutions, though, to solve this Western migration crisis. One solution, is to pressure foreign governments into adopting more reasonable codes of ethics. Why should people be forced out of their own homelands to begin with?

We need to speak up about every evil in the world, including (especially) those places who are driving their citizens away. It should be a red flag.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So, you're against all immigrants, then? I will make sure to mention that I saw a comment then with someone wanting to stop legal immigration since conservatives always claim that's not what they want. Yet, it is what they mean.

do you think "Conservatism" is some monolithic block with no disagreement within it?

in the United States traditional Liberalism and traditional Conservatism are large coalitions
and with upheavals within the political world we have seen recently we are seeing more diversity among political ideas

so no, this is not what "they" mean, if by "they" you mean all American Conservatives
this is what the guy you quoted means
probably a few other people think that too

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

that is another factor

Compare the rate of crime committed by immigrants to those committed by US citizens & you'll see they commit less crimes than we do. That's awful the girl was raped. It was just on the national news that a youth minister at a big church out in California got arrested for molesting the kids he was entrusted with. I totally agree with the Pope.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Compare the rate of crime committed by immigrants to those committed by US citizens & you'll see they commit less crimes than we do. That's awful the girl was raped. It was just on the national news that a youth minister at a big church out in California got arrested for molesting the kids he was entrusted with. I totally agree with the Pope.

You totally agree with the pope on opening the borders because citizens commit more crimes than immigrants?

So what, wash the Americans out?

Upvote 0