Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
15hp0029.jpg

By Francis X. Rocca
Catholic News Service
Jan-16-2015

MANILA, Philippines (CNS) -- Appealing to the traditional values of Filipino Catholic families, Pope Francis made one of his strongest calls as pope against movements to recognize same-sex unions as marriage.

(Read more)

Reactions: pdudgeon

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
agreed.
this is one of the front line battles going on now; to recognize people as they were created by God with a God-given purpose in their lives, and not as re imaged beings forever identified by their sins, forever bearing the scars of those sins, and as captives of satan.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
With all due respect to His Holiness, I don't see how same-sex marriage threatens opposite-sex marriage. I live in a state where same-sex marriage has been legal for a while, and know some opposite-sex married folks here, and the passage of that legislation has not visibly negatively effected a single one of their marriages.

I am surprised that this Pope, who is normally so logical and compassionate, would lay something like this out there without being more clear about the logic behind it. Of course, it's notable that he doesn't actually mention same sex marriage by name in the article. His spokesman was asked about it and said that it was an example of what the Pope was talking about. I often get asked for a direct quote from the Pope and not a media summary or quote from someone explaining what the Pope says when I mention his progressive economic and environmental stances. So, in that light, I think it's fair to mention that he didn't directly say the words same-sex marriage or a synonym for those words here, though I don't doubt what his position on this subject is.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
With all due respect to His Holiness, I don't see how same-sex marriage threatens opposite-sex marriage.
Then I recommend reading the Holy Bible and praying about it asking for the Holy Spirit to help you understand.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Not really sure what is meant here.

A person's family is no less their family because of the individual's orientation or who they are married to; I do not understand where this threat against "the family" comes from.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟940,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
With all due respect to His Holiness, I don't see how same-sex marriage threatens opposite-sex marriage. I live in a state where same-sex marriage has been legal for a while, and know some opposite-sex married folks here, and the passage of that legislation has not visibly negatively effected a single one of their marriages.

I am surprised that this Pope, who is normally so logical and compassionate, would lay something like this out there without being more clear about the logic behind it. Of course, it's notable that he doesn't actually mention same sex marriage by name in the article. His spokesman was asked about it and said that it was an example of what the Pope was talking about. I often get asked for a direct quote from the Pope and not a media summary or quote from someone explaining what the Pope says when I mention his progressive economic and environmental stances. So, in that light, I think it's fair to mention that he didn't directly say the words same-sex marriage or a synonym for those words here, though I don't doubt what his position on this subject is.
Which is gobbledeegook speak for " I like this Pope when he agrees with me."

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think my family is in pretty good shape, regardless of what other family dynamics look like. I try to be a good husband and father, my wife strives to be a good wife and mother. I work hard to be what a man should be - resilient, educated, a provider, a protector, etc. My gay neighbors can't begin to have the influence on my children that I do. From me, I hope, my kids will learn to love. From me, I hope, they will learn to pray. From me, I hope, they will learn to sacrifice. From me, I hope, they will learn to build a career and a nest for their family. From me, I hope, they will learn to work and provide. From me, if all goes to plan, they will learn to die with dignity. I live with them, I am far more concerned with the example I leave than with what some homosexuals they observe do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I don't think that any practice that involves less than a percentage point of any population is a threat to any society.

However he fact that SSM is accepted as legitimate uniquely demonstrates how decadent and morally corrupt that the society that accepts it has become.
Marriage as personal fulfillment is the exact opposite of what marriage needs to be in a society in order for that society to grow and prosper. Marriage is not about personal fulfillment. It is about sacrificing personal fulfillment for the higher purpose of serving others.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I don't think that any practice that involves less than one percentage point of any population is a threat to any society.

However he fact that SSM is accepted as legitimate uniquely demonstrates how decadent and morally corrupt that the society that accepts it has become.
Marriage as personal fulfillment is the exact opposite of what marriage needs to be in a society in order for that society to grow and prosper. Marriage is not about personal fulfillment. It is about sacrificing personal fulfillment for the higher purpose of serving others.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Which is gobbledeegook speak for " I like this Pope when he agrees with me."
There's quite a bit of that goes on.

Personally, I'd be worried about anyone who entirely agrees with me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So its Fr Lombardi who brought up same sex marrage, not the Pope?
I think you are grasping at straws.

The evidence, especially recently, has been overwhelming that the Pope is actually Catholic.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
There is no contrast. Precise words always matter.
Well the, the Holy Father didn't say "same sex marriage" or anything equivalent. His actual comments at much broader than that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well the, the Holy Father didn't say "same sex marriage" or anything equivalent. His actual comments at much broader than that.
He said that marriage should not be redefined. He didn't have to say "same-sex marriage." Anyone who knows what the Church teaches about marriage knows what he means.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.