MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm wondering, - how do you all see Pope Benedict after all the stuff in the news about him?

Around a week ago, I was really worried, but I think God really gave me peace on the matter. I'm going to follow the advice of my Bishop and not let the media make up my mind for me, and I'll believe what Pope Benedict says about the situation. Ever since then, I've really felt that this is the right thing to do.

So..

I for one, support the Holy Father in this time. it seems he's going through a lot and we need to pray for him. I personally don't believe he's involved in the scandals, and I think he's as against child abuse as we are. I think it's unfair that the media is attacking him like this with all sorts of accusations, but what else can we expect from the media?? I think the abuse scandal is real and there are priests and bishops who are involved, but many others are not involved, most priests are good, and Pope Benedict is a good Pope.

I also think it's tragic how so many Catholics are against him now. (all because of the media, btw. Just goes to show..)

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, I'm not Roman Catholic and even I feel that the RCC and the Pope are just being used to sell articles.

Unfortunately in America, anti-Catholicism sells. I think it is just an artifact of our founding demographic from Western European Protestant nations. If the original colonists had mainly been Spaniards or Russians or Greeks maybe we wouldn't be so uncomfortable with apostolic Christian traditions today.

I mean, just look at all the suspicion that J.F.K. had to deal with in his Presidential campaign in 1960. Its ridiculous.

tl;dr:

Yes, its unfair, but unfortunately in America, anti-Catholicism sells newspapers, which I think is the primary motivation of the media in this instance.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,770,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A quote I just read from Bill ORielly: (I'm not a big fan of his but...)

A number of Catholics have left the church because of the priestly sins, but not me. From the beginning, in Sister Claudia’s first grade class, I understood that the Catholic Church was about Jesus, not Father Flannery. Believe me, I saw so many loons in my Catholic school days that I should be a Buddhist. But it is the theology, not church leadership, that keeps me in the fold.

My feelings have not changed towards the Pope.

I think prayer is in order for the Church & victims but I think the constant yammering over the scandal is not productive at this point. That is why I'm just keeping up/informed on it & not saying much.

I think a sort of purging is going on that was much needed. I think the Church will be stronger for it in the longrun.

Upvote 0

Aequoreus

Mar 30, 2010
✟7,664.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm wondering, - how do you all see Pope Benedict after all the stuff in the news about him?

I respect the man more than I can say.

I truly feel for the Holy Father. He is a kind and honest man who is being persecuted from all sides, forget the media for a moment, even his fellow Catholics have turned on him. He has suffered malicious gossip, lies and insults. He has had the burden of the sins of other men tossed on his back to carry alone.

Yet I am sure he knows that he has someone who will always stand with him. Who will be persecuted with him and who will suffer with him. And surely that is where he gets his strength.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Not all Catholics who are not going to accept the sorry excuses anymore for the sexual abuse of children is against Benedict.

What many Catholics are against is the abuse and the cover up that happened. Period. what is so hard to understand about not accepting the sorry excuses as to why it was allowed to go on for years and years is baffling.

Here is what I think...

I have no idea what he knew and what he didn't know. What he did and what he failed to do.

The "media", who's "out to get him", says he did not have any specific knowledge but he passed the buck on to other bishops to handle it.

what ever...

what I think is, he needs to make this right, right now. He needs to audit every diocese and find anymore scandals before they break.

He needs to root out this evil.

Reactions: CrusaderKing
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,138,138.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Church is in a very important moment historically. Yesterday night I read the post about the youngest Pope and I saw that, historically, there have also been seven married Popes, eleven priests who fathered Popes, including a Pope who fathered a Pope (and both are canonized), and, sadly a number of Popes who fathered illegitimate children. The Popes who fathered illegitimate children all reigned during the Renaissance and at the start of the Protestant Reformation (and their scandalous behavior was probably yet another cause of the Protestant Reformation.)

One might compare the twentieth century to the Renaissance--certainly a period of great change and discovery. One might compare the sexual abuse scandal to the Renaissance scandals in the Church--Popes fathering illegitimate children, selling indulgences, etc.

And this is why we are in a historic moment.

The Church's response to the Reformation was to circle the wagons--call the Council of Trent, set up the Index, stifle progress for the next 500 years, and, worst of all, set up the Inquisition.

And what does the world remember about that era of the Church today? The 'scandals' or the response?

It remembers the response, because of its extremism, because of its inhumanity....

And here we are at this point of history. Yes, there were scandals....and what are we going to do about them? Are we going to set up witch hunts and stifle all questions?

Or are we going to admit our past faults, ask for forgiveness, and move forward bravely, openly, and transparently into the future?

I believe that, at least in the past few years, Pope Benedict is leaning towards the second course of action, which will lead to real healing. May he continue to courageously hold that course...

Reactions: Anglian
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟191,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Heck during the time of Christopher Columbus's first sail to the New World, Pope Alexander VI held the chair of St Pere. He was one of the most corrupt popes in history.

He fathered seven illegitimate children and when he was asked to mediate between the Portuguese and Spanish on what part of the globe each side would have rights to, he was living with a mistress forty years younger than himself.

This of course help fuel the reformation.

Jim

Upvote 0

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟33,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree Monica, I too support the Pope during this time. Over the past year the Catholic Church has taken a pounding by the media. For awhile, the sex abuse cases died down while the American Bishops became the target during the Universal Health Care legislation--and just on the heals of that, then the sex abuse cases flair up again. Clearly the Church is under attack, both secularly and spiritually. May our Lord have mercy. :crossrc:

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I *hope* we are on the brink of another great reform in the Chuch.

I *hope* this is not the beginning of the great apostasy we keep hearing about...

I *hope* many folks don't apostatize the faith over this, but they may...

this may cause the pope to go "underground" becuase the world will reject the moral authority of the Church becuase of these scandals. I think many are going to turn their backs on the moral teaching of the Church becuase of this.

We are just a different people now... we are not accepting of these scandals. There is the media where this stuff will spread through the word in less then 30 seconds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
what types of reform are on the table?

with Protestant reform, we ended up changing doctrines and it caused a mess. what are we proposing at this time?

We didn't change doctrines. the Protestant Reformation isn't the reformation the Curch underwent.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟800,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We didn't change doctrines. the Protestant Reformation isn't the reformation the Curch underwent.
I thought the Prot reformation eventually culminated into changing doctrines on their part? I know that WE didn't change doctrines though.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
A quote I just read from Bill ORielly: (I'm not a big fan of his but...)

My feelings have not changed towards the Pope.

I think prayer is in order for the Church & victims but I think the constant yammering over the scandal is not productive at this point. That is why I'm just keeping up/informed on it & not saying much.

I think a sort of purging is going on that was much needed. I think the Church will be stronger for it in the longrun.

Bill O'Reilly also went on to say that Cardinal Bernard Law should be in Prison, and I belive so should any that aided and abetted Child Molesters.

Time will tell whether the Pope committed acts of Omission.

Upvote 0

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Certainly reforms are needed.

The first reform we need is that everytime someone suggests reform, they should not be jumped on and given the Grand Inquistion that they have some nefarious agenda.

Transparency, openness and lay engagement are all essential.

Much of what the US Church has done is good. It needs to be universalized.

We need to pastorally care for the vicitms of abuse. Those who have spent their energy the past week being sychophants for Church authorities are part of the problem. Nothing unjust has been said about any Church leader in the past week that compares with the pain suffered by victims of abuse.

Reformed systems leaving the same people in charge will not work. Changes in personnel will need to happen.

And reforms without engagement of the laity will not work. Catholic parents and other laity need to be brought into positions in the Church where they can offer their skills and gifts to Church administration and personnel decisions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I also think it's tragic how so many Catholics are against him now. (all because of the media, btw. Just goes to show..)
The media has way too much influence on society. They can even make people believe that the world is being taken over by Martians if they want to. People can either swallow whatever propaganda the media feeds to them or they can look into the facts and think for themselves.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I thought the Prot reformation eventually culminated into changing doctrines on their part? I know that WE didn't change doctrines though.

When I said, "great reform" I was not referring to the Protestant Reformation. I was referring to past Catholic reforms with in the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The media has way too much influence on society. They can even make people believe that the world is being taken over by Martians if they want to. People can either swallow whatever propaganda the media feeds to them or they can look into the facts and think for themselves.

And just what are the facts?

The several bishops world wide has endangered thousands of children world wide.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Bill O'Reilly also went on to say that Cardinal Bernard Law should be in Prison, and I belive so should any that aided and abetted Child Molesters.

Time will tell whether the Pope committed acts of Omission.

exactly. I don't believe the pope did but I don't think we will ever know for sure... the Church has to restore trust and learn how to become transparent.

Upvote 0

GrannyHope

This Granny Can Rock!
Nov 15, 2009
Conneticut
✟15,174.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
me? I'm afraid... i am afraid if something gets out on Pope Benedict, if he KNEW about something. Lord save us if that happens. that's all i have to say.

had to close a bunch of churchs in this area... in new england, too. most of my grandkids dont believe, and it's gotten to the point of where fine that's their decision. We live in America & i love them the same.

but.. oh i dont wanna thik about it.:(

Upvote 0