Oct 14, 2003
✟71,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You keep saying you NEVER come back but you always do. It’s weirdly reassuring. :wave:

Well, 2015 was a tough year for my Catholicism. It took a long time to heal.

...and now all I got is scar tissue. But...

.... I also feel like I'm in a slow motion rapture lately, and old thing have a comfort to them.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,759,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, 2015 was a tough year for my Catholicism. It took a long time to heal.

...and now all I got is scar tissue. But...

.... I also feel like I'm in a slow motion rapture lately, and old thing have a comfort to them.
Are you going to Church again? How is your health?

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟71,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Are you going to Church again? How is your health?

No, but I'm still talking to the major saints.

I'm getting stronger every day. But, of course, I'm also REALLY old.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟813,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Serious question - if your view is that the Catholic magisterium is a pack of wolves out for the destruction of souls - how do you evangelize to non-Catholics? It's kind of like you would need to say "come join the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church, who has the fullness of truth, and don't mind that the head of the church and the bishops in communion with him are out to destroy your soul."

I mean, if my view of the Church was that the magisterium was secretly out to destroy my soul, I would find another church with a different magisterium (the Eastern Orthodox perhaps).
The Truth of the Lord Jesus Christ should be your main worry. The Way to Salvation is NARROW and FEW find it. If you are only concerned with gaining new members by compromising the Truth, you are of the world.

Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Truth of the Lord Jesus Christ should be your main worry. The Way to Salvation is NARROW and FEW find it. If you are only concerned with gaining new members by compromising the Truth, you are of the world.
If the truth is that the head of the Catholic church is hell-bent on destroying your soul, why be Catholic? The Eastern Orthodox have valid sacraments.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟281,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So did you guys see what happened in Argentina?

On December 17th lightning struck a statue of Saint Peter at Our Lady of the Rosary of San Nicolas, the strike fried off his keys, his halo, and his blessing hand.

Not only was December 17th the final day of preparation for Feducia Supplicans but it's also Pope Francis' birthday, (an Argentinian for anyone in this thread who may not have known or had forgotten).

View attachment 340853
Signs and wonders abound.
Each bishop, in keeping with the faith, should say that this document has no standing in his diocese to change anything. Of course, with such a mess coming out of the Vatican, some eager bishops will bless the unblessable and demand their priests do so as well. Confusion reigns. Akita sure got this generation of bishops and cardinals right.
Considering everything else that was related at Akita, the accuracy of the predictions is rather frightening, to say the least. :(

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟247,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
1) To me, the statement above appears to come into direct conflict with your interpretation of Fiducia Supplicans. Thus, I assume your view is that Fiducia Supplicans has efectively abgrogated the Responsum. Is this correct?
I think the introduction and the first few sections of Fiducia Supplicans are fairly clear that the Responsum ad dubium is being tweaked or adjusted. For example, the introduction speaks of an innovative development of blessings that deviates from the "classical understanding." The implication here is almost certainly that the Responsum represented the classical understanding. The stage has been set for decades for innovating on the basis of "pastoral" considerations.

3) If you believe that your interpretation of Fiducia Supplicans can be reconciled with the Responsum - how do you do that?
To say that FS is self-contradictory is also to say that it contradicts the Responsum. One half of the contradiction is the "classical understanding of blessings" represented by the Responsum. It is a contradiction, but not an abrogation. An abrogation would presuppose precision, clear thinking, and transparency, all of which is lacking.

Cardinal Fernandez straightforwardly contradicts the Responsum in his clarification:

Therefore, since it is not a question of the sacrament of confession(!), but of a simple blessing, it is still asked that this friendship be purified, matured and lived in fidelity to the Gospel. And even if there was some kind of sexual relationship, known or not, the blessing made in this way does not validate or justify anything. (link)​
One could quibble over whether he is speaking strictly about past sexual sins that have been repented of, but I think even then that it is clear from the rest of his response that an ongoing sexual relationship can be blessed, because he thinks the blessing can be carefully aimed at only the non-sexual parts of the relationship. The sharp-shooter blessing, aimed at the car but guaranteed to miss the engine. ;)
4) My other question is - how do you distinguish your argument from the situation where someone says "Bless a sinner but not the sin"? Here, committing a sin is an essential element of what makes a person a "sinner". If "blessing a couple" must entail blessing that which makes them a couple, why cannot the same argument be made against "blessing the sinner"? That is, why would you not say "To bless the sinner is to bless what makes him a sinner (him having committed sins). Thus, sinners cannot be blessed because by definition this includes blessing his sin"? I think the logic here is exactly the same as the core of your argument, and that you can see what the problem with this is. When people say "bless the sinner" they are talking about blessing the sinner with respect to his person-hood, not with respect to what makes him the sinner (his sins). That is, if I say "bless a sinner" most people will naturally conclude that this means "bless a sinner qua person" not "bless a sinner qua sinner". Your argument seems to assume that "bless a couple" in the document must mean "bless a couple qua couple" - but where do you see that in the document?
I already explained this last week (link).

You wish to bless a couple qua individual(s). This is not possible because a couple and an individual are mutually exclusive. If something is an individual then it is not a couple, and if something is a couple then it is not an individual. When we speak about a couple we are not speaking about an individual or two separate individuals. When we bless a couple we are not blessing an individual or two separate individuals.

But again, there is no support within the document itself or within Fernandez' clarification for your position of blessing a couple qua individual(s). And you continue to contradict the definition from Merriam-Webster that you provided.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think the introduction and the first few sections of Fiducia Supplicans are fairly clear that the Responsum ad dubium is being tweaked or adjusted. For example, the introduction speaks of an innovative development of blessings that deviates from the "classical understanding." The implication here is almost certainly that the Responsum represented the classical understanding. The stage has been set for decades for innovating on the basis of "pastoral" considerations.

To say that FS is self-contradictory is also to say that it contradicts the Responsum. One half of the contradiction is the "classical understanding of blessings" represented by the Responsum. It is a contradiction, but not an abrogation. An abrogation would presuppose precision, clear thinking, and transparency, all of which is lacking.

Cardinal Fernandez straightforwardly contradicts the Responsum in his clarification:

Therefore, since it is not a question of the sacrament of confession(!), but of a simple blessing, it is still asked that this friendship be purified, matured and lived in fidelity to the Gospel. And even if there was some kind of sexual relationship, known or not, the blessing made in this way does not validate or justify anything. (link)​
One could quibble over whether he is speaking strictly about past sexual sins that have been repented of, but I think even then that it is clear from the rest of his response that an ongoing sexual relationship can be blessed, because he thinks the blessing can be carefully aimed at only the non-sexual parts of the relationship. The sharp-shooter blessing, aimed at the car but guaranteed to miss the engine. ;)
Thank you for clarifying. I understand your view of the Responsum being adjusted. It would be helpful if the Vatican clarified whether the Responsum is considered to be fully in force as originally written, or if certain statements in the Responsum no longer hold. If every statement in the Resonsum strictly holds, then your interpretation would not seem to be tenable. But that is something the Vatican needs to clarify I think.
I already explained this last week (link).

You wish to bless a couple qua individual(s). This is not possible because a couple and an individual are mutually exclusive. If something is an individual then it is not a couple, and if something is a couple then it is not an individual.
I think your formal proof is this:

1) A "couple" requires (i) two people and (ii) a romantic relationship between the two people.
2) To bless a "couple" is to bless the constituent parts of the "couple".
3) Thus, to bless the "couple" is to bless (i) the two people and (ii) the romantic relationship between the two people.

In the same manner:
1) A "sinner" requires (i) one person and (ii) sins commited by the one person.
2) To bless a "sinner" is to bless the constituent parts of the "sinner".
3) Thus, to bless the "sinner" is to bless (i) the one person and (ii) the sins commited by the one person.

Is your formal proof something else?
When we speak about a couple we are not speaking about an individual or two separate individuals. When we bless a couple we are not blessing an individual or two separate individuals.
Here, I think you are assuming as true what you need to prove. I can just as easily say "When we speak about a sinner we are not speaking about a person apart from his sins. When we bless a sinner we are not blessing the person apart from his sins".

But again, there is no support within the document itself or within Fernandez' clarification for your position of blessing a couple qua individual(s). And you continue to contradict the definition from Merriam-Webster that you provided.
I think the Merriam Webster definition is still applicable. I'm not sure why you think I don't, but I suspect that we are looking at the definition in a different way. I certainly agree that a romantic relationship (whether sexual or non-sexual) is necessary for two people to be a "same-sex couple". This definition is part of the proof noted above.

My view is that there is no clear abrogation of the Responsum. If, for the sake of argument, we assume that the Responsum is the classical understanding of blessings, "permitting a broadening and enrichment of the classical understanding of blessings" does not clearly indicate that anything in the classical understanding of blessings has been thrown away.

Thus, there being no clear abrogation of the Responsum, every statement in the Responsum is presumed to still be in effect. Thus, Fiducia Supplicans cannot be interpreted so as to contradict anything in the Responsum. Therefore, your interpretation of Fiducia Supplicans is untenable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟247,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for clarifying. I understand your view of the Responsum being adjusted. It would be helpful if the Vatican clarified whether the Responsum is considered to be fully in force as originally written, or if certain statements in the Responsum no longer hold. If every statement in the Resonsum strictly holds, then your interpretation would not seem to be tenable. But that is something the Vatican needs to clarify I think.
Sure, but I don't think this is a fundamentally different conversation than the one we've already had. The only difference is that I am admitting that if Fiducia Supplicans contradicts itself, then it also contradicts the Responsum. But all the arguments are the same.

There is nothing odd about this. The larger problem is not that Fiducia Supplicans contradicts itself, but that it contradicts 2,000 years of Catholic teaching. It only contradicts itself in the first place because it purports to save the traditional teaching. No one was claiming that it contradicts only itself and nothing else in the deposit of faith.

I think your formal proof is this:

1) A "couple" requires (i) two people and (ii) a romantic relationship between the two people.
2) To bless a "couple" is to bless the constituent parts of the "couple".
3) Thus, to bless the "couple" is to bless (i) the two people and (ii) the romantic relationship between the two people.

In the same manner:
1) A "sinner" requires (i) one person and (ii) sins commited by the one person.
2) To bless a "sinner" is to bless the constituent parts of the "sinner".
3) Thus, to bless the "sinner" is to bless (i) the one person and (ii) the sins commited by the one person.

Is your formal proof something else?
I wouldn't parse it that way but it's workable, sure. In essence, sin is separable from a person, whereas the relationship is not separable from a couple. If we remove the relationship then the couple disappears. And according to Merriam-Webster and common sense, the relationship of a couple is a romantic and sexual relationship.

The Vatican seems to want to bless the non-sexual friendship without blessing the romantic relationship. It is worth noting that this also applies to irregular situations. The Vatican would bless a divorced and remarried couple in precisely the same way, aiming at the car but not the engine.

Here, I think you are assuming as true what you need to prove. I can just as easily say "When we speak about a sinner we are not speaking about a person apart from his sins. When we bless a sinner we are not blessing the person apart from his sins".
Strictly speaking, I don't think we bless sinners. We do not bless persons qua sin. We take mercy or pity on sinners, but that which is blessed is not the sinful aspect of the person. Similarly, we have mercy on a cancer patient by strengthening the white blood cells, not by strengthening the cancer cells.

When the cancer is eradicated the person still exists. When the sin is eradicated the person still exists. When the relationship is eradicated the couple no longer exists.

I think the Merriam Webster definition is still applicable. I'm not sure why you think I don't, but I suspect that we are looking at the definition in a different way. I certainly agree that a romantic relationship (whether sexual or non-sexual) is necessary for two people to be a "same-sex couple". This definition is part of the proof noted above.
The Merriam-Webster definition does not prescind from sex, for the whole definition is based in marriage and engagement. Or do you think sex is irrelevant to marriage? I addressed this idea in some detail in past posts.

My view is that there is no clear abrogation of the Responsum.
I also said there is no abrogation. A contradiction is not an abrogation. No one in the world thinks there has been an abrogation.

Thus, Fiducia Supplicans cannot be interpreted so as to contradict anything in the Responsum. Therefore, your interpretation of Fiducia Supplicans is untenable.
I've already addressed this informal fallacy:

Note well that saying, "It can't be X because then the document would be self-contradictory," is not even a relevant response to our charge that the document is self-contradictory. In logical terms this is the informal fallacy of begging the question. Instead you are required to show, organically, that the document does not contradict itself. You can't just assume that it doesn't contradict itself and then redefine the literal sense of the words and clauses to fit your pre-determined conclusion.

Edit: What's interesting here is that you seem to be laboring under the idea that when a reversal occurs a formal abrogation is immediately issued. In fact this never happens, although it would be nice and tidy if it did. Recent authors on this topic include Noonan, Guarino, and Dunnigan. See Dulles' article for a primer, "Development or Reversal?"

It's also worth noting that the document is aware of the tension, and I would say it responds with gish gallop. They throw things at the wall and hope something sticks, including "ascending vs. descending blessings," "sacramental/liturgical contexts vs. non-sacramental/liturgical contexts," "doctrinal vs. pastoral," etc. I am a Thomist, and I'm sorry, but this is all slop. None of these arguments work, and adding them together doesn't work either. It did not surprise me that at the end of the document they said there would be no clarifications!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Vatican seems to want to bless the non-sexual friendship without blessing the romantic relationship. It is worth noting that this also applies to irregular situations. The Vatican would bless a divorced and remarried couple in precisely the same way, aiming at the car but not the engine.
Yes, I think your view here could ultimately be correct. We shall see.
Strictly speaking, I don't think we bless sinners. We do not bless persons qua sin. We take mercy or pity on sinners, but that which is blessed is not the sinful aspect of the person. Similarly, we have mercy on a cancer patient by strengthening the white blood cells, not by strengthening the cancer cells.

When the cancer is eradicated the person still exists. When the sin is eradicated the person still exists. When the relationship is eradicated the couple no longer exists.

It depends on what we mean by "bless the sinner". We can certainly say "bless the sinner". I Googled the phrase and got about 2 million hits. I think most people would agree that when they hear this phrase, they would understand it to mean "bless the person but not the sin". They would not understand the phrase literally to mean something like "bless the person as a sinner".

If we are using the phrase "bless a same-sex couple" in a colloquial sense I do not see why we cannot understand it to mean "bless the two people but not the relationship". When I read the document by myself for the first time without input from anyone else, that is instantly what I thought the phrase meant. There are more than a few people who have interpreted the phrase this way too.

After thinking about this more your interpretation also appears reasonable. The way that you interpreted it was not intuitive to me, but I can understand why you interpreted the phrase in a more literal sense to mean "bless a couple as a couple".
The Merriam-Webster definition does not prescind from sex, for the whole definition is based in marriage and engagement. Or do you think sex is irrelevant to marriage? I addressed this idea in some detail in past posts.
Well, I think that the word "relevant" is a bit imprecise. Relevant in what sense? Sure, sex is relevant to marraige. I hope that my marriage has lots of it. But so are many other things. A house, money and many other things are relevant to marriage.

Intepreting "blessing a same-sex couple" to mean something like "blessing a same-sex friendship" as you set forth above is one way to view the document, as you mentioned above. But I tend to agree with your view that the document contemplates couples that are having sex. At the least, there is nothing in the document that explcilty excludes them having sex. And as you note, the sexual activity is primarily what would make these relationsips sinful. So it is reasonable to think that the document is directed towards the question of whether couples who are engaged in illiict sexual activity can be blessed.

But even assuming that to be the case, for the sake of argument, I do not think that you can prove what you seek out to prove.

First, even if the document contemplates that a couple is engaged in illicit sexual activity, it does not therefore conlcude that the document contemplates that sexual activity is a constituent element of what defines a "couple". There is no general theological definition of the word "couple" (that I am aware of) and there is no defintion of the word "couple" that set is forth in the document.

Second, from Merriam Webster it does not conclude that sexual activity is a constituent element of what defines a "couple". Here, the definition is "two persons married, engaged, or otherwise romantically paired". There are three categories of couples here: (i) two persons married, (ii) two persons engaged, and (iii) two-persons romantically paired. The fact that sex is a normative activity for category (i) does not mean that it is a normative activity for category (iii). Nor does it logically conclude from the definition that category (iii) is ultimately oriented towards cateory (i).

Third, from common parlance it does not conclude that sexual activity is a constituent element of what defines a "couple", or that "couples" are ulimately oriented towards marriage. You wrote that any two people that are not sexually active or pursuing marriage cannot be considered a "couple" and that they can only be referred to as "dating" but this is something that you need to prove.

Fourth, even if the document and/or Merriam Webster did define formally define sexual activity as a constitutent element of what defines a "couple", this would be immaterial becuase the relationship itself is not what is being blessed. That is, "blessing a couple" in the document is not used in the sense of "blessing a coupleship" but rather in the sense of "blessing the two people who form the couple". If the author had intended to bless the "coupleship" he easily could have done so by using a phrase such as "blessing the relationship". It is my view that the word "couple" emphasizes two people, not the relationship. You disagree with me on this point, of course, but you need to prove your interpretation.

So it still seems to me that your argument requires a large number of inferences that cannot be proven, or that are difficult to prove.

It would be interesting if you set forth a formal proof for your argument, however. There appears to be many different elements to your argument and I must confess that it is difficult for me to follow your entire argument logically. At various points during our discussion I have felt a bit "lost in the trees while failing to see the forest." A formal proof might help me understand the complete logic behind your argument (I do not actually expect you to provide one, but if you want to provide one perhaps it may be useful for anyone reading this thread who wants to better understand your argument).

Like one of the videos stated, I think "union" is more of a theological term that we could probably elaborate on by referring to theological texts. The term "couple," on the other hand, is much more difficult. We can go to several different dictionaries and get different definitions. We can speculate about what consitutes a "couple" by making inferences from the content of the document itself, but at the end of the day there is no clear definition of the term "couple" or the term "blessing a couple" in the document itself. This is ultimatley something that I think the Holy See will need to issue additional guidance on, to clear up the intended meaning.

I also said there is no abrogation. A contradiction is not an abrogation. No one in the world thinks there has been an abrogation.
If there is a contradiction betwen Law A and Law B, what law applies? Typically, if a new law is enacted that directly conflicts with the previous law then in effect, we follow the new law instead of the first law. So for all practical purposes Law A has been abrogated because it is no longer followed.

Perhaps if there is a contradiction between Law A and Law B, we need not say that Law A has been abrogated in its entirety. But to the extent that a provision in Law B conflicts with Law A and we decide to follow Law B instead of Law A, it seems that the provision in Law A has been abrogated for all practical purposes.

So, is it your view that the Responsum or specific provisions in the Responsum have been abgrogated in this sense? If not, what is your view? Does the Responsum apply or does Fiducia Supplicans apply?
I've already addressed this fallacy:

Note well that saying, "It can't be X because then the document would be self-contradictory," is not even a relevant response to our charge that the document is self-contradictory. In logical terms this is the informal fallacy of begging the question. Instead you are required to show, organically, that the document does not contradict itself. You can't just assume that it doesn't contradict itself and then redefine the literal sense of the words and clauses to fit your pre-determined conclusion.
Yes, what you wrote above is correct.

The issue here is that every document requires interpretation. I would say that "If Law X is to remain in force, and it is improper to break Law X, then it is improper to interpret a new Law Y in a manner that would break Law X. The new Law Y should be interpreted in a manner that does not contradict Law X." I think this is a form of the so-called "heremenutic of continuity." Do you not agree with this heremenutic?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,255,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If the truth is that the head of the Catholic church is hell-bent on destroying your soul, why be Catholic? The Eastern Orthodox have valid sacraments.
Is one bad priest sufficient to drive a person away. It happens. Are a few percent of bad priests dufficient to drive a person away. It happens. One bad bishop? A few percent bad bishops? A bad cardinal? A few bad cardinals? A bad pope?

Why should I leave because of a bad priest, or some bad priests or a bad bishop or bishops or cardinal or cardinals or a pope? They should leave. It's about that simple.

We have had several bad popes already. And many of them contributed to the wound of the Reformation. It would have been better to persist inside of the Church and to push for reform. The reform that came about finally at the council of Trent. Not everybody had the guts to stick it out. Most of those who bailed were princes anyway, who decided for their subjects without them having any choice.

• Winner
Reactions: Wolseley
Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Is one bad priest sufficient to drive a person away. It happens. Are a few percent of bad priests dufficient to drive a person away. It happens. One bad bishop? A few percent bad bishops? A bad cardinal? A few bad cardinals? A bad pope?

Why should I leave because of a bad priest, or some bad priests or a bad bishop or bishops or cardinal or cardinals or a pope? They should leave. It's about that simple.

We have had several bad popes already. And many of them contributed to the wound of the Reformation. It would have been better to persist inside of the Church and to push for reform. The reform that came about finally at the council of Trent. Not everybody had the guts to stick it out. Most of those who bailed were princes anyway, who decided for their subjects without them having any choice.
Well "bad" is relative. For the sake of argument let's say I agree with you that Pope Francis is a "bad" pope because he makes ambiguous statements. That is no reason for me to leave the church.

But that is entirely different than a pope who is a wolf in sheep's clothing, who wants to destroy my soul, see me go to hell, and teaches rank heresy to achieve this end. You have no need of this pope, correct? You are not going to submit or follow a person who has the objective of seeing you burn in hell right? So for all practical purposes you are in a church with no pope. From your standpoint you simply have church with a rogue bishop who calls himself "pope" and whom you will not follow, various other apostolic bishops who do and do not follow the deposit of faith to varying degrees, and valid sacraments. What would you have that the Eastern Orthodox do not have? At least if you went to the Eastern Orthodox you would not have a powerful rogue bishop calling himself the "pope" who is dead set on sending you to hell. . . what exactly is the value proposition of remaining Catholic in this situation?

I suppose another way of putting this question is - what does it even mean to be Catholic if one refuses to submit to the authority of the Roman Pontiff?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,255,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well "bad" is relative. For the sake of argument let's say I agree with you that Pope Francis is a "bad" pope because he makes ambiguous statements. That is no reason for me to leave the church.
That’s about what I said.
But that is entirely different than a pope who is a wolf in sheep's clothing, who wants to destroy my soul, see me go to hell, and teaches rank heresy to achieve this end. You have no need of this pope, correct? You are not going to submit or follow a person who has the objective of seeing you burn in hell right?
I cannot tell that pope Francis has that exact intent. In fact I doubt he has that exact intent. He may be a heretic in his personal beliefs, but the data on that is rather limited. Scalfari did say the pope was an unbeliever but then Scalfari is not a reliable reporter.
So for all practical purposes you are in a church with no pope. From your standpoint you simply have church with a rogue bishop who calls himself "pope" and whom you will not follow,
Oh that would be so easy. But I have a validly elected pope. I can’t just say the see of Peter is vacant. I’m not Ann Barnhardt.
various other apostolic bishops who do and do not follow the deposit of faith to varying degrees, and valid sacraments.
We do have valid sacraments. And we do have some bishops who are against other bishops, cardinals against cardinals. Shades of Akita.
What would you have that the Eastern Orthodox do not have? At least if you went to the Eastern Orthodox you would not have a powerful rogue bishop calling himself the "pope" who is dead set on sending you to hell. . . what exactly is the value proposition of remaining Catholic in this situation?
You would like me to leave? I think you are closer to the door. If and when the scoop about blessing homosexual unions comes out I suspect you go will have to go Orthodox. I’m going to stay to see if the next pope undoes the mess this pope created. Maybe help to pick up the pieces.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟254,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
You know, I've read about, I don't know, 22 pages of opinions on Sir Francis and his motivations here. Maybe it's just as simple as he's claiming:

LGBT people are here, they are part of the Church (whether you are comfortable with that or not) and they need pastoral services. They are, after all, part of his flock, and he does has responsibilities to them beyond attempting to ignore their presence.

All he's saying is, it's ok for you, Mr. Parish priest, to actually, you know, do your job and be God's representative for these people.

Past that, we're all hardened sinner here and none of use are going to stop (let's get real). I don't't think you get to threw someone out of the Church just because you don't like someone else's style of spiritual misconduct.
Hi Charlie! Hope life is treating you well.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟254,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
That’s about what I said.

I cannot tell that pope Francis has that exact intent. In fact I doubt he has that exact intent. He may be a heretic in his personal beliefs, but the data on that is rather limited. Scalfari did say the pope was an unbeliever but then Scalfari is not a reliable reporter.

Oh that would be so easy. But I have a validly elected pope. I can’t just say the see of Peter is vacant. I’m not Ann Barnhardt.

We do have valid sacraments. And we do have some bishops who are against other bishops, cardinals against cardinals. Shades of Akita.

You would like me to leave? I think you are closer to the door. If and when the scoop about blessing homosexual unions comes out I suspect you go will have to go Orthodox. I’m going to stay to see if the next pope undoes the mess this pope created. Maybe help to pick up the pieces.
Christ made his promise. A reform is coming. The Holy Spirit will guide the Church into the future despite these terrible times.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟281,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, here we are at 23 pages of this thread, and it all comes down to the same thing: semantics and definitions, based on A) what the Pope said, B) what James Martin said, C) what one cardinal or another said, D) what Merriam-Webster says, E) what the State Ministerium for Disinformation and Propaganda says.

Myself, I agree with everything chevy has said; he and I are completely of the same mind on this topic. I think Frank needs to clarify this mess, and until he decides to make some statement that settles it once and for all, further debate is an exercise in futility; I think by now we all know what "is" means.

So, I probably won't be making too many more posts in the thread; nothing new is being said, it's all the same tired cycle of "couples or not", and it's monotonous. I will continue to scan posts, but for the most part, I'm done here. :)

Everybody have a Happy New Year!

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,759,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So did you guys see what happened in Argentina?

On December 17th lightning struck a statue of Saint Peter at Our Lady of the Rosary of San Nicolas, the strike fried off his keys, his halo, and his blessing hand.

Not only was December 17th the final day of preparation for Feducia Supplicans but it's also Pope Francis' birthday, (an Argentinian for anyone in this thread who may not have known or had forgotten).

View attachment 340853
Seems it has been confirmed by a priest there that this is true.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,759,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Letter on Fiducia Supplicans, December 22, 2023
Friday of the Third Week of Advent​

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,

We have received a number of inquiries from the faithful concerning Fiducia Supplicans, a Vatican document published Monday on the topic of blessings. It specifically discusses the offering of a blessing by a priest to persons living in situations of unrepentant serious sin, such as same-sex sexual relationships, fornication, or adultery.

Blessings can have a liturgical or ritual expression (e.g., the blessing of the sick or the blessing of an altar), while others remain less formal (e.g., the prayer before meals or a parent’s blessing of their children at bedtime). Blessings can be used to seek God’s protection against evil, to set things aside for the worship of God (e.g., the blessing of a chalice), or to ask God’s favor or mercy. Fiducia Supplicans describes the latter in the mode of the less formal expression of blessing.

Yet controversy has followed publication of this document, as some have hailed a supposed novel change in the Church’s perennial teaching on sexuality, or praised it as a “step” towards such a change. These pronouncements, even celebrations, of a particular interpretation have been heard both within and outside the Church. It is important to understand that the document itself makes explicit that the Church’s teaching on marriage and human sexuality is unchanged. Nor can it change. The teaching office of bishops and the Holy Father is at the service of, and has no authority over, the Deposit of Faith as found in Sacred Scripture and Tradition.

Continued below.

Upvote 0