Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ROME -- ROME (AP) — Pope Francis has formally approved allowing priests to bless same-sex couples, with a new document explaining a radical change in Vatican policy by insisting that people seeking God’s love and mercy shouldn’t be subject to “an exhaustive moral analysis” to receive it.

Continued below.

• Prayers
Reactions: DJWhalen

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,864,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟336,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
ROME -- ROME (AP) — Pope Francis has formally approved allowing priests to bless same-sex couples, with a new document explaining a radical change in Vatican policy by insisting that people seeking God’s love and mercy shouldn’t be subject to “an exhaustive moral analysis” to receive it.

Continued below.
Any word on divorced people?

Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

SashaMaria

He is risen! Alleluia!
Jun 23, 2018
East coast
✟211,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This has me feeling sad, confused and sick to my stomach.

What do we Catholics do now? Of course we pray pray pray but . . .

Is this a sign that the Catholic Church has gone apostate or never was the true Church? It appears that the EO and other ancient eastern churches are the only ones that are still faithful to Christ and His teachings Should we leave? Or stay and “fight” ? How do we fight?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟287,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You don't vanquish error by allowing it "just a little bit of room", Holy Father.

You vanquish error by not allowing it *ANY* room. None whatsoever.

Look: I understand compassion. I understand mercy. Really, I do. But no matter how much compassion you feel for someone in error, you can't approve the error.

Should the Church approve blessings for people who siphon gasoline out of cars because they're too poor to buy gas? I mean, after all, they could have stolen the car, but they didn't. And because they're so poor, allowing them to swipe the gasoline is compassionate, no?

How about if a religious order decided to devote one day to worshipping Baphomet instead of Christ? Should the Pope bless that? I mean, hey, it's just one day; the other six they serve Christ.

Do you permit this "just a little bit of error"? Or do you recognize that "just a little bit of error" leads inevitably to "a little bit more error", and "a little more error", until you have a full-blown apostasy on your hands? Do you recognize that we face a malignant and dangerous enemy in Satan, who constantly looks for tiny cracks, tiny wedges, in which to insert his tentacles and gradually work for the destruction of the whole edifice?

And Lucifer is patient. If it will corrupt mankind, he takes just as much time as he needs to get the job done.....which is why we cannot allow him any advantage whatsoever. We must constantly be alert to remain as close to Christ as we can, and to not allow any room for Enemy to use to his advantage.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟503,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am praying over this. I'm absolutely praying over the Pope.
I feel I ought to not speak on it.
I saw it this morning and prayers for those struggling with celibacy for the Lord vs just giving into sin.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
Northern California
✟444,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Boy the mainstream press is having a field day with this one. Making it seem like something else and burying the caveat in fine print, but it's basically a nothing burger.

CNA is working on a piece right now that should come out, and we may have a clarifier on the show tonight with Dr B. I spoke with my colleague about it and he said as he understands it, it's basically like if a couple gay people came up to a priest in an airport and said "hey we're about to fly to XYZ, can you bless us?" then that'd be kosher, but that's it.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟156,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I made one comment a few months ago about how I was looking to go back East, and for a couple of months I have been doing just that. I'm done with Rome. Completely unjustifiable at this point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟846,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
This pope has a lot of explaining to do. Although, if he did, it would be vague as usual. If he feels that priests will bless sin, he's going to have to answer to God.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not a moral theologian and so my opinion doesn't count for much, but I'll give it anyway.

I have conflicted thoughts on this. Furthermore, I think that perhaps giving a blessing to a same-sex couple in a way that doesn't give the impression of condoning any kind of sin might be acceptable, but I'm not sure. Perhaps such blessings should only be given to same-sex couples who have a good reputation and are known to be chaste? I'm really not sure on all of this, but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,089,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This has me feeling sad, confused and sick to my stomach.
Yes. But as it is a first report maybe there will be a correction. Give it a day or so first.
What do we Catholics do now? Of course we pray pray pray but . . .
I will not be leaving. If they want to excommunicate me then fine but I'm not leaving under my own power.
Is this a sign that the Catholic Church has gone apostate or never was the true Church?
No. It is a sign that we have a bad pope. Truth prevails. Pope Francis will not. Pray that God be merciful to the pope and his minions. But to act soon.
It appears that the EO and other ancient eastern churches are the only ones that are still faithful to Christ and His teachings
The Orthodox have already caved on marriage, not on blessing homosexual unions, but on divorce and remarriage. You can have up to three marriages I think and it's OK with them. Two for sure. And we have slid too, with easy annulments handed out like candy.
Should we leave? Or stay and “fight” ? How do we fight?
I'm staying and fighting as long as I can. I will stay 'in union' with the pope while resisting him and his minions. They have lost the coherence of faith. I don't have to accept what they are telling us is OK.

One thing I think we should NOT do is join up with any schismatic groups. SPPX isn't strictly in schism though. Archbishop Vigano OTOH may be heading toward schism so I would be cautious about following him. He did well concerning revealing what he knew about cardinal McCarrick but he's getting weirder and weirder. I would not 'break communion' with pope Francis, at least not yet Oh, that's gonna be hard not to do.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟503,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
From what I read earlier this morning is that the Pope does not want this in Church or in liturgy.
But a priest may out of an act of charity.
I don't think he's referring to the blessing of the lifestyle, but rather to bless them so they move away from the lifestyle.

The lines are blurry and he did not address too much to 5 questions asked.

Since I saw he is the oldest Pope, one ought to wonder if he needs evaluated as far as not only their true intent.
And if he is as cognitive as we hope. 87 is nearing 90 and, moreover; he may have faculty decline.

ALSO this is not a teaching nor is it acceptance.

It is an individual act per the priest. With intent to bring them home rather than accept the lifestyle but offer them a different one.
The Pope was told it is not their fault...
So at his age is he reflecting if he was kind enough for all?

This is between himself and the Lord.
SO LONG as he dares not change teaching.... Catholics need to impress on the world stage it shall never be teaching, but an act left to a priest on the behest of bringing people to the Church and hopefully away from the lifestyle.

He may try to be a good man, but he knows his bounds. He knows he cannot do more.
And I think IMHO he ought to remove himself from those around him who give accounts that may sway him.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,089,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Boy the mainstream press is having a field day with this one. Making it seem like something else and burying the caveat in fine print, but it's basically a nothing burger.

CNA is working on a piece right now that should come out, and we may have a clarifier on the show tonight with Dr B. I spoke with my colleague about it and he said as he understands it, it's basically like if a couple gay people came up to a priest in an airport and said "hey we're about to fly to XYZ, can you bless us?" then that'd be kosher, but that's it.
A 'nothingburger'?

Distinction without a difference. We WILL be seeing Catholic weddings in all but name, where they have a very traditional looking wedding for two men or two women or two of other sexualities. It was already approved in Belgium and already being done in Germany. This will be seen as permission no matter how 'clarified' it is. The only import of it will be so we can have a loophole so we don't have to say the pope is 'actually' teaching heresy yet. It's a big green light but we can understand it as a red light still if we want to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,089,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I made one comment a few months ago about how I was looking to go back East, and for a couple of months I have been doing just that. I'm done with Rome. Completely unjustifiable at this point.
You think the Orthodox are immune? Only in that they are fairly zenophobic. Otherwise no. Check out their teaching on marriage and divorce and remarriage. They've already caved on that. Of course Catholic marriage tribunals hand out annulments like candy.

In my opinion it's not time to wander. Not time to join up with the sedevacantists. Or the Orthodox. Or whatever. It's time to hunker down, get a good prayer life finally, help your neighbors, and await the great and terrible Day of the Lord with eyes wide open.

I am not calling the SSPX sedevacantists. They are Catholics in more or less good standing.

Pope Francis is an alienating guy. His days are few. I hope I can endure. I want to bail on this guy, I really do. But for worse or better he is the validly elected pope. We need to pray hard for a decent replacement for him. We need a miracle in that regard because he has already stacked the deck. Would you pray for that miracle?

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟846,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I just wonder if he's inching his way into accepting gay marriage. Remember when (in general society) it was just 'civil unions', then the push for gay marriage was next?

• Agree
Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟14,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
A 'nothingburger'?

Distinction without a difference. We WILL be seeing Catholic weddings in all but name, where they have a very traditional looking wedding for two men or two women or two of other sexualities. It was already approved in Belgium and already being done in Germany. This will be seen as permission no matter how 'clarified' it is. The only import of it will be so we can have a loophole so we don't have to say the pope is 'actually' teaching heresy yet. It's a big green light but we can understand it as a red light still if we want to.
I knew that the anti-Francis accusers were going to have a field day with this one.

Did you read the actual document? What you are suggesting is explicitly forbidden in the document.

38. For this reason, one should neither provide for nor promote a ritual for the blessings of couples in an irregular situation. At the same time, one should not prevent or prohibit the Church’s closeness to people in every situation in which they might seek God’s help through a simple blessing. In a brief prayer preceding this spontaneous blessing, the ordained minister could ask that the individuals have peace, health, a spirit of patience, dialogue, and mutual assistance—but also God’s light and strength to be able to fulfill his will completely.

39. In any case, precisely to avoid any form of confusion or scandal, when the prayer of blessing is requested by a couple in an irregular situation, even though it is expressed outside the rites prescribed by the liturgical books, this blessing should never be imparted in concurrence with the ceremonies of a civil union, and not even in connection with them. Nor can it be performed with any clothing, gestures, or words that are proper to a wedding. The same applies when the blessing is requested by a same-sex couple.

Reactions: Erose
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,089,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I knew that the anti-Francis accusers were going to have a field day with this one.
The field day is already being had but by the folks who are now planning their church weddings. Sorry, but I'm late to the party here.

And you think anybody is going to remember paragraphs 38 and 39 when it comes to arrangements for a blessing? Sorry. Those will conveniently accidentally be forgotten.

This is a "radical change' according to ABC News. You might argue that they just don't get it. But maybe they get it more than those who say it's no real change at all.

Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟14,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not a moral theologian and so my opinion doesn't count for much, but I'll give it anyway.

I have conflicted thoughts on this. Furthermore, I think that perhaps giving a blessing to a same-sex couple in a way that doesn't give the impression of condoning any kind of sin might be acceptable, but I'm not sure. Perhaps such blessings should only be given to same-sex couples who have a good reputation and are known to be chaste? I'm really not sure on all of this, but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts!
Should all the people at Mass who are not in a state of grace be asked to leave before the priest confers a blessing at Mass?

Upvote 0