• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

Pope approves blessings for same-sex couples if they don't resemble marriage

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟169,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What really disturbs me is the number of homosexual priests in the Church and how many of them seem unrepentant of that "life-style". Such priests are now champing at the bit to bless same-sex couples. Do they know what it means to be called to holiness?
Are these many gay priests chaste?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,894,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,894,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Buzzard3

Jan 31, 2022
Forster
✟41,968.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,894,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Buzzard3

Jan 31, 2022
Forster
✟41,968.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
The Pope's sophistry doesn't fool me, but it's evidently fooled many others.

How interesting that the Pope links blessing same-sex couples with sanctity.

I've always understood "the Gospel" that Francis refers to involves the repentance of sins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟288,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Methinks Frank is trying to limit collateral damage that he didn't expect. Some of his comments are merely digging him deeper:

article said:
"Those who protest vehemently belong to small ideological groups," Francis said; "A special case are Africans: for them homosexuality is something 'bad' from a cultural point of view, they don't tolerate it".

IT OUGHT TO BE CONSIDERED 'BAD' BY ANYBODY WITH EVEN A PASSING FAMILIARITY WITH HOLY SCRIPTURE, FRANK!!! :mad: For the last 2,000 years, it has been the steady teaching of the Church that homosexual activity is a mortal sin which will land its practitioners in hell. How is it that you missed this memo?!??

article said:
“In the Church, there have always been small groups that manifest reflections of a schismatic nature,” the Pope said. “One must let them carry on and pass away... and look ahead.”

If you were talking about the apostate bishops in Germany, you might have a point, Frank; but you're not. You're talking about people like me, and all I can say to that is gee, thanks----but I suspect I'll still be here long after you've croaked. And for your information, Frank, I have not gone into schism. You have. I have not abandoned the steady teaching of the Church. You have. :mad:

Reactions: Buzzard3
Upvote 0

Buzzard3

Jan 31, 2022
Forster
✟41,968.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Methinks Frank is trying to limit collateral damage that he didn't expect. Some of his comments are merely digging him deeper:
I like this comment: "Francis said that he trusts that “gradually, everyone will be reassured about the spirit of the declaration"".

This Pope is delusional - he thinks the whole Church is eventually going to fall in line with his demonic Rainbow agenda.

• Agree
Reactions: Wolseley
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,119,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Are these many gay priests chaste?
You would have to ask them. Corner one and ask and don't accept a vague answer. They might tell you straight up. Or they might get mad at you and curse you and tell you to mind your own business. Probably the latter. And then you would know.

Not every priest is this way.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟169,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You would have to ask them. Corner one and ask and don't accept a vague answer. They might tell you straight up. Or they might get mad at you and curse you and tell you to mind your own business. Probably the latter. And then you would know.

Not every priest is this way.
There’s no way I’d ask them that. I just hope mine are, though there was a rumor going around that a seminarian in our parish who later became a priest was having an affair with a then-married neighbor. I think he was still a seminarian at the time.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,119,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There’s no way I’d ask them that. I just hope mine are, though there was a rumor going around that a seminarian in our parish who later became a priest was having an affair with a then-married neighbor. I think he was still a seminarian at the time.
Well, if you don't want to hire a P.I. to follow them around the easy way is to ask them. Or live in bliss not knowing. I have met two abusers in my years, one that got to go to prison. The other killed himself after he was finally about to be caught for the killing of two others. Then there is the priest who left to go live out his lifestyle in S.F.. There are others I've wondered about. At my age I think I'll just ask rather than waste years under their pastorship only to get misshaped under inadequate pastorship. I don't have time for that.

Reactions: Wolseley
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟110,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pope Francis, in his wisdom, has approved the blessing of homosexual relationships ... that his own Church teaches are "objectively disordered" (CCC #2358). He imagines that God wants to bless objectively-disordered relationships. At the very least, that is absurd.

The Church shouldn't allow the blessing of same-sex anything ... unless its aim is repentance.

A chaste homosexual relationship? Does such a thing exist?

I would assume that a chaste homosexual relationship is possible at the very least. They would have to be celibate though, and of course they shouldn't live with each other either.

That said, I have since learned that apparently this blessing is meant to help bring people to God. It's not meant to condone same-sex unchastity or anything.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,119,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I would assume that a chaste homosexual relationship is possible at the very least. They would have to be celibate though, and of course they shouldn't live with each other either.
Possible. All sorts of things are possible. Eve Tushnet apparently knew of a chaste homosexual relationship. So I'm not going to say impossible.
That said, I have since learned that apparently this blessing is meant to help bring people to God. It's not meant to condone same-sex unchastity or anything.
Then we have James Martin and that priest in Kentucky and who knows how many others providing blessings which bless unchastity, are intended to bless unchastity, and the whole world sees them as a sort of a nuptual blessing. That's the norm in Germany and so far the Vatican hasn't corrected any of it. So, if it's uncorrected how can you say it isn't allowed or even intended by the slippery language of FS? Had they sat on James Martin on December 20th they could maybe have made a case. But as James Martin is a tight friend of pope Francis I think he knows more about FS than the rest of us who have been told it changes absolutely nothing. It changes something alright. Catholic morality. That stuff that's not supposed to change.

Upvote 0

Buzzard3

Jan 31, 2022
Forster
✟41,968.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
A chaste same-sex relationship? LOL.

Unsurprisingly, Fiducia Supplicans says nothing about a chaste relationship or repenting from sinful sexual acts. That would defeat what I think is the real purpose of the Declaration - ie, to make same-sex couples acceptable in the Church.
That said, I have since learned that apparently this blessing is meant to help bring people to God.
How?

How does approving same-sex relationships by blessing them bring people to God?
It's not meant to condone same-sex unchastity or anything.
This Pope imagines that God will bless same-sex relationships, which the Church teaches are "objectively disordered" (CCC #2358). That is, at the very least, absurdly irrational.

Blessing same-sex relationships ("couples") is itself objectively disordered, imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟288,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But as James Martin is a tight friend of pope Francis I think he knows more about FS than the rest of us who have been told it changes absolutely nothing. It changes something alright. Catholic morality. That stuff that's not supposed to change.
Catholic morality has not changed. It will never change. The only thing that has changed is Francis and "Tucho"s adherence to Catholic morality. They no longer follow it.

Catholic morality, the Deposit of the Faith, and the universal Church has not changed one whit---they remain the same as they always have, and always will be. Whether or not we have priests, bishops, cardinals, laypeople, or even popes who choose to deviate from that is not the fault of the Faith.

Paul told us of a great falling away (2 Thess. 2:3); Jesus told us of an increase in wickedness (Matt. 24:12); and Mary told us of cardinals and bishops opposing each other, and faithful priests being scorned by their brethren (Akita, 1973).

All of this was predicted, long ago. We are merely watching it unfold. All we have to do is what Jesus told us to do: remain faithful until the end (Matt. 10:22).

Last edited:
Upvote 0