✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Poor diet kills sperm count and lowers testosterone, study says - CNN

The study looked at 2,935 Danish men of normal weight -- with a median age of 19 -- who were undergoing a physical to determine their fitness for military service (something all men in Denmark have to do after they turn 18).
Blood and sperm samples were taken, and the men completed a questionnaire that asked how often they had eaten 136 food items in the prior three months.
The study looked at four food patterns:

• The "prudent," healthy pattern, in which fish, chicken, vegetables, fruit and water were mostly consumed.
  • The "open-sandwich pattern," a more typically Danish diet with a greater intake of cold, processed meats, whole-grain breads, mayonnaise, cold fish, condiments and dairy.
  • The vegetarian-like pattern, with a high intake of vegetables, soy milk and eggs, with little to no red meat or chicken.
  • And the "unhealthy" Western pattern, with more pizza, snacks, french fries, sweets, sugar-sweetened drinks, processed and red meat, snacks and highly processed grains.
Men who closely followed the prudent pattern of eating -- characterized by lots of fish, chicken, vegetables, fruit and water -- were associated with the highest sperm counts. This was followed by the semi-vegetarian and then the "smørrebrød," or Danish, eating style.

A link to the study:

Association of Dietary Patterns With Testicular Function in Young Danish Men

Conclusions and Relevance In this cross-sectional study, adherence to generally healthy diet patterns was associated with better sperm quality, with potentially more favorable fertility potential among adult men.

sperm quality has decreased substantially in the last few decades. According to a recent meta-analysis that included more than 185 studies,1 total sperm count has declined by 50% to 60% from 1973 to 2011 in Western countries, in line with a continued decline since the 1940s.2 In addition, some investigators have also reported a concomitant secular decline in serum testosterone levels.3 Although debate is ongoing about the underlying causes for these declines, there is a growing concern and evidence that environmental exposures such as endocrine-disrupting chemicals and air pollution or behavioral factors such as smoking and alcohol consumption could explain this decline.4

Last edited:

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm guessing bean, rice and other cheap food helps when it comes to pregnancies in America. Denmark people might be more faithful to Birth Control. Then people in America.
Could be. But since this measured sperm quality, not sure it would figure into this study.
Are they only doing Denmark people? Because this is BS to me.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm imagining a young recruit being asked to [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] into a cup an wondering what exactly it is they're going to want him to do in the army.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm guessing bean, rice and other cheap food helps when it comes to pregnancies in America. Denmark people might be more faithful to Birth Control. Then people in America.

Yes, only men in Denmark around the age when they are to sign up for military service. You can read the study for the parameters.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm imagining a young recruit being asked to [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] into a cup an wondering what exactly it is they're going to want him to do in the army.

Yes, that would be awkward. Though it appears this part is voluntary. I did wonder how that could potentially skew results, but I guess they still account for other factors.

They were paid a small amount, so there was incentive to participate.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

You think people in Denmark are significantly different?

I would question the study's correlative nature instead, poor diet probably relates to other things that are likely to relate to low sperm count.

Upvote 0

Lazarus Long

Feb 1, 2020
Melbourne
✟4,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I've never, ever felt the urge to count my sperm or anyone elses!
Have you ever looked at someone and thought bloody hell that was the fastest sperm?

Upvote 0