Poll: What is Scott Roeder guilty of?

What is Scott Roeder really guilty of in the Eyes of God?

• what he was convicted of

• justifiable homicide

• ridding the world of a serial killer

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alwayspondering

Sep 1, 2010
USA - midwest
✟15,232.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He was convicted of one count of 1st Degree murder for the killing of George Tiller, and two counts of aggravated assault for threatening two other people in the church with a firearm. Which is exactly what he did. He planned for some time to kill the doctor, so I'd say he definitely is a pre-meditated murderer. And he might also be called a domestic terrorist.

if someone was trying to murder your child, would you say Roeder was a 1st degree murderer for trying to kill him first b4 he could kill your child?

but then, all those babies being murdered every day are not your children so i guess you need not worry...

Upvote 0

alwayspondering

Sep 1, 2010
USA - midwest
✟15,232.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Last time I checked, intentionally killing someone illegally is defined as murder. So that is what he is guilty of. I'm not entirely sure what the distinctions between degrees of murder is in the US, but I think that first degree murder covers what he did, as it was premeditated and intentional.

when you are trying to save someone's life by stopping a murderer, you yourself are not a murderer

Upvote 0

alwayspondering

Sep 1, 2010
USA - midwest
✟15,232.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It concerns me when a person's religious beliefs allow them to start doing things like justify murder.
it downright disturbs me that most people apparently think it is OK to murder the unborn and that someone who stops the murder is himself a murderer.

Upvote 0
T

The Lady Kate

yeah, if you don't think about it

if abortion is murder, your answer is way off

But abortion isn't murder, because murder is, by definition, "the unlawful killing of another human being..." So the whole argument falls flat right there.

What Roeder did was no different than sneaking onto an Army base and killing a soldier before he could be shipped to Afghanistan.

Reactions: lux et lex
Upvote 0
T

The Lady Kate

it downright disturbs me that most people apparently think it is OK to murder the unborn and that someone who stops the murder is himself a murderer.

Most people prefer the laws as they are written as opposed to the justifications people like Roeder use off the top of their head.

Without the laws, there's not much from stopping someone like Roeder from "stopping" you, is there?

Upvote 0

alwayspondering

Sep 1, 2010
USA - midwest
✟15,232.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I picked "other" because the question didn't specify which god was looking at Scott Roeder and it is very problematic to discuss the opinions of an unspecified deity.

ETA: In fact it can be next to impossible to discern the opinions of a specified deity.

:wave:

i was speaking of the Christian God. I mean this is a Christian forum and i am Christian

it is NOT impossible to discern God's will if you beleive, as i do, that the Bible is the Word of God

In the Old Testament, which i have read in its entiretey God shows that killing your children is the ultimate sin. True, this is more implied than explicit but it is there nonetheless. In one part of (Chronicles or Deuteronomy?) it says that when the Israelites started following the non-Jews in their practice of sacrificing their children to the gods (which of course, are really demons as it says elsewhere in sciprture), it says that "Sin entered the camp" Sin entered???? I mean, its as if there were no serious sin before that!!!!! - or like God is saying that that was the ultimate, the absolute worst sin of all

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
T

The Lady Kate

i was speaking of the Christian God. I mean this is a Christian forum and i am Christian

it is NOT impossible to discern God's will if you beleive, as i do, that the Bible is the Word of God

In the Old Testament, which i have read in its entiretey God shows that killing your children is the ultimate sin. True, this is more implied than explicit but it is there nonetheless.

Unless He tells you to do it... then it's the ultimate sin to not do it.

In one part of (Chronicles or Deuteronomy?) it says that when the Israelites started following the non-Jews in their practice of sacrificing their children to the gods (which of course, are really demons as it says elsewhere in sciprture), i says that "Sin entered the camp" Sin entered? I mean, its as if there were no sin before that!!!!! or like God is saying that that was the ultimate, the absolute worst sin of all

Worshipping another God? Well, yes... that's a violation of the First Commandment right there.

Upvote 0

alwayspondering

Sep 1, 2010
USA - midwest
✟15,232.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Most people prefer the laws as they are written as opposed to the justifications people like Roeder use off the top of their head.

Without the laws, there's not much from stopping someone like Roeder from "stopping" you, is there?

so man's law is prefered over God's... big surprise

Upvote 0

alwayspondering

Sep 1, 2010
USA - midwest
✟15,232.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In the eyes of which god is a good question. Would the OP happen to be referring to the one who murdered every firstborn son in Egypt (Exodus 11)? R.

God created life and he can take it... and there is life after death anyway, so those children went to be with him, probably. If they had kept on living they probably would have lost their souls because most adults go to Hell, according to the saints.

Upvote 0

alwayspondering

Sep 1, 2010
USA - midwest
✟15,232.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
wait up. Christianity doesnt condone murder. If he is a Christian then his beliefs dont allow murder and he knew that.
The position you take is unfair and to judge the man is wrong
Obviously Mr Rueder murdered somebody because he felt that a crime was being commited and his hands were tied in relation to helping
You on the other hand flippantly ignore children who have their lives taken in the womb, probably not only ignore it but support it
You moraly judge Mr Rhodes based on what, your beliefs based on what?
Rhodes has killed and I can understand why he did what he did and I can not find it in myself to condemn him
In another time another place he could have been a hero

Yeah I believe he rid the world of a serial killer but that doesnt make it right
Happy

Two crimes have been commited

if someone were trying to kill YOUR child, and Roeder stoppped the person by killing him before he could accomplish that, would you say that what Roeder did in THAT situation was equal to, say, what Ted Bundy did?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

alwayspondering

Sep 1, 2010
USA - midwest
✟15,232.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So much for absolute morality... its ok if God says so? Doesn't that seem, yknow, relative (as in, relative to God's mood)? I thought relative morality was a horrible, evil thing.

most pagans haven't read the Bible, yet they sit in judgment of it.

again, God creates life and he can take it

and its better to die young anyway

of course that doesn't mean we should kill our children becasuse then we ourselves will lose salvation... or likely will anyway and even if we repent of such a horrible deed, we have to live with that all our lives. i know people who have had abortions and they regret for the rest of their lives, always wondering what the child would have been like and all that. Women who suffer from Post Abortion Syndrome are very messed up. Some drink a lot, some sleep around, some get pregant again to try to atone for their sin and all kinds of strange things. Some try to end their lives. And some, even after accepting theforgiveness found in Christ, cannot forgive themselves. I've read books about this.

To me, Roeder is a hero. He did what the "OLd Testament God" (as it were) would have done, in my opinion. I couldn't have done what he did, but that's cuz I am a coward who likes to obey laws. But i hate man's laws when they so egregiously contradict God's laws

Upvote 0

alwayspondering

Sep 1, 2010
USA - midwest
✟15,232.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Unless you want the Roeders of the world using "God's Law" as an excuse to kill you.

I am not murdering unborn children so i am safe from "wackos" (so called) like Roeder

when juries deliberate in making a decision on a murder case, they should always consider the intention of the person.

Killing a human being is not always murder. Killing a person (who is himself a murderer, and in this case, a murderer on a daily basis) to save the life of an innocent person is justifable

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
when you are trying to save someone's life by stopping a murderer, you yourself are not a murderer

You're still a murderer if you didn't have to kill them. However, given that foetus' are not granted the status of people in the law, Scott Roeder wasn't saving anyone's life. He didn't have to kill the doctor, but he did. He could have joined the campaign against abortion in a more peaceful and legal way, and he could have got the law changed which would have stopped any more abortions. Instead he took a man's life. He was a murderer.

Murder, even to save someone else, is still murder. The vast majority of the time you don't have to kill.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.