poll: Sensual Self-gratification (don't like the M word)

do you think sexual self-gratification (M word) is a serious sin?

• yes

• no

• sometimes

• usually

• probably

• not sure

• if my church/pastor says so

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Masturbation is totally normal. It's a perfectly appropriate sexual outlet for someone without a sex partner. And it may have some health benefits.

BTW: What's wrong with the word masturbation? It's not obscene. It's scientifically accurate, and linguistically proper.

Reactions: halloween
Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
You're gonna get a lot of non-Christian responses, dunno if you're interested in them..

anyway: everything in moderation. If you touch occasionally so that you're not sexually frustrated when doing other stuff: good. If you start cancelling other activities because you prefer masturbating 3 times per day: eh... I don't think that's the wisest course of action.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
You're gonna get a lot of non-Christian responses, dunno if you're interested in them..

anyway: everything in moderation. If you touch occasionally so that you're not sexually frustrated when doing other stuff: good. If you start cancelling other activities because you prefer masturbating 3 times per day: eh... I don't think that's the wisest course of action.

But either way, the masturbation itself wouldn't be a sin, correct? If a person masturbates all the time, the problem is not the masturbation per se, it's the masturbator.

Upvote 0

plindboe

Feb 29, 2004
In my pants
✟10,498.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I once read about some research that showed that it could be harmful for females not to touch. It was only harmful if they often got aroused but never relieved the pressure. A female that couldn't get aroused wouldn't experience the harm.

Male sperm has also been showed to function better in males that touch frequently, and would therefore increase fertilization. Masturbation can also reduce the risk of infection in females.

It certainly seems like humans are physiologically "made" to touch.

Peter :)

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
The only part of masturbation that would be sinful would be the lust. And that is only because it is committing adultery, so even then, it would only apply to lusting after married women (remember, adultery was a crime punished by death, but it only occurred if the female was married or engaged; having sex with a non-married/non-engaged female did not result in death, but marriage, it was not adultery). And even if that sounds a bit to legalistic, what if the object being lusted after was fictional (you know those 'romance stories' for women)?

So tl;dr, masturbating while thinking about calculus is not sinful, but you might want to go see a shrink.

P.S. It is very unhealthy for the average adult to not masticate, anyone trying to stop it is being immoral.

Reactions: Zebra1552
Upvote 0

DeStRuCt1oN

Newbie Believer
Jun 21, 2010
Los Angeles
✟7,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is the difference between a serious sin and a not so serious one?

Does the sin level change if the self gratification is not sensual?

There is no difference because God shows no partiality with sin.

"For there is no partiality with God. 12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; 13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus." Romans 2:11-16

The only difference is if the person who is caught up in the sin, ex: masturbation, asks forgiveness and deliverance from God or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I don't instinctively think it's that a serious sin, although I am open to Catholic teaching on the issue. I am quite a hedonist, not that I use all sorts of chemicals to get high, or persue it blindly, but believe that states like pleasure and happiness, in association with the correct mental or behavioural outlook, constitute something good in themselves. So, pleasure in rape is not good, whilst in consensual sex it is obviously better... think of my view of ethics as something like the strategic science of giving "sugar hits" of pleasure to a network of emotional and behavioural machines (or cognitive content hits in the form of theory, opinion or instruction) - the end in view being optimisation of welfare. Back to masturbation though, and I have found that is is productive or more pleasure in the long run not to physically touch, but just to keep the libido high through abstinence, and then enjoy a hands free, "natural" experience of sexuality. As usual I aim to theologise morally from a "bottom up" perspective or using my own rationality, rather than blindly accept dogma from the top, although I believe that the two can conincide.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Only in primitive societies where those in power feel the need to control all forms of sexuality is it considered bad.
Wrong! Italy is not a "primitive society" (well they certainly they use modern technology like the www, cell phones and cars) and there are plenty of people who consider it wrong living there. Maybe you're just going to call it primitive anyway, because such people exist?

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Masturbation is totally normal. It's a perfectly appropriate sexual outlet for someone without a sex partner.

Absolutely agree. I wouldn't get involved with anyone who doesn't self-pleasure at one time or another. It's not my "job" to figure out for them what works, pleasure-wise, and what doesn't - that's for them to figure out on their own.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I think that sight can be affected by inappropriate contentography and masturbation. If one becomes habituated to even the most explicit imagery of sensuous babes, and not only that, but also having spent one's libidinous energies alone, what is one going to make of the fully clothed beauty walking bye? For the masturbator, her fruits will not be in season.

Upvote 0

Lockguy3000

Nov 14, 2007
NYC
✟9,055.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that sight can be affected by inappropriate contentography and masturbation. If one becomes habituated to even the most explicit imagery of sensuous babes, and not only that, but also having spent one's libidinous energies alone, what is one going to make of the fully clothed beauty walking bye? For the masturbator, her fruits will not be in season.
But some "fruits" today are either waxed, or plastic.

:waaah:

Upvote 0

sbvera13

Mar 6, 2007
✟10,490.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Absolutely agree. I wouldn't get involved with anyone who doesn't self-pleasure at one time or another. It's not my "job" to figure out for them what works, pleasure-wise, and what doesn't - that's for them to figure out on their own.
Seconded, and with firsthand experience. My relationship with my wife improved substantially after I convinced her to start masturbating. It's MUCH easier to make her happy when both of us now know what it is that does the trick ;)

Upvote 0

KIYX

Jul 18, 2010
✟9,824.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wrong! Italy is not a "primitive society" (well they certainly they use modern technology like the www, cell phones and cars) and there are plenty of people who consider it wrong living there. Maybe you're just going to call it primitive anyway, because such people exist?

Italy?

The seat of the catholic church?

Say no more. :cool:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.