Sep 15, 2002
✟16,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The public backlash over gay marriage has receded since a controversial decision by the Massachusetts Supreme Court in 2003 to legalize those marriages stirred strong opposition, says a poll released Wednesday.

Gay marriage remains a divisive issue, with 51 percent opposing it, the poll by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press found. But almost two-thirds, 63 percent, opposed gay marriage in February 2004.

Source

================================================================
Remember the rules. No discussing the morality of gay marriage or homosexuality in here. Just discuss the article.

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
gengwall said:
Or more people are realizing the true "equal protection" problems with bans on Gay Marriage. I personally am against it, but it seems pretty unconstitutional to ban it.

Well if ya legalize gay marriage, don't forget to legalize gay divorce too. ;)

My views on gay marriage... I'll take the Kinky Friedman method:
"They have every right to be as miserable as the rest of us."

Upvote 0

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Chuck_Darwin said:
The demographics on this issue are not on the side of banning gay marriage. Lot's of old people want to ban it but most young people do not. guess who will win in the future.....
The old.

Because by the time they have power, the young will be old!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Alot of people are realizing that the topic is not going to forced on them and they have begun to consider it.

That the Legislators will decide for the public what is going to be allowed, rather then a few protected Judges.

As it should be.

Not just changing a tradition by a trial, but with legitamate debate.

Upvote 0

invisible trousers

~*this post promotes non-nicene christianity*~
Apr 22, 2005
✟20,718.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Billnew said:
Alot of people are realizing that the topic is not going to forced on them and they have begun to consider it.

That the Legislators will decide for the public what is going to be allowed, rather then a few protected Judges.

As it should be.

Oh please, not the activist judges card.

I'm not surprised at the results. The anti-gay movement is going to have trouble fighting time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Petunia

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 9, 2004
✟211,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Chuck_Darwin said:
The demographics on this issue are not on the side of banning gay marriage. Lot's of old people want to ban it but most young people do not. guess who will win in the future.....

Dracil said:
The old.

Because by the time they have power, the young will be old!

That's pretty funny. Because generally the younger generation tends to be liberal. The older generation tends to be conservative. So I think you're right. By the time liberals grow up, they will have converted to conservatives. And a whole new generation of liberals will have been born of their children.

Like my mother used to say..... ..."JUST KEEP ON LIVIN'!" ^_^

I would vote against gay marriages. One reason is because I don't think we should change what marriage is. We haven't changed it in thousands of years. Why change it now? Also.. from a Christian standpoint.. I believe that marriage is ordained by God. And should be what God describes it as. But I also would vote against it.. because I know that if gay marriage is ever legally finalized.. the first thing that gay activists would do, would be to target the churches.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
draper said:
It'll be very interesting to see how the ballot initiatives this November do.

Whatever ballots there are, in most places the anti-gay side will win. Mainly because they have a larger very motivated base than the pro-gay side. While technically the two camps could be evenly split down the middle, the anti-gay side are much more likely to come out and vote.

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Billnew said:

As it should be.

There is, however, a distinction between judges ruling in favor of a citizen's right infringed on by a law which unjustly violates it, and the right of the majority (or their chosen representatives) to make laws other than those which infringe rights. It's fundamental to our system of government that that distinction be perpetuated. (Note that I'm not claiming gay marriage is a protected right; I'm discussing the more general principle you seem to be criticizing.)

Let me give you a parallel from this board: we all, as members, have the right to post within the rules, to report posts which violate them, and the moderators, as judges, rule when a post is reported. We didn't elect the moderators; they're appointed by higher-rank staff and ultimately by Erwin.

But it's our right to post whatever our views are, so long as we stay within the rules, without let or hindrance. If I could start a poll where the members vote on whether or not you, or George78, or Ginny or Outlaw, can post here, and they are banned as a result of a majority vote, then by the criterion you're advancing this should not be a problem. (I suspect in reality I'd get warned for "disturbing the peace and tranquility of CF" -- and justly so -- for doing that.) Or if we could elect our moderators, who would of course decide not dispassionately but in accord with their own interpretation of who's right in a given argument.

The majority rules, true. But the majority is constrained by the common agreement that some rights are to be protected from majority infringement. And an independent judiciary called on to rule in accordance with the Constitution and the principles of law, not the political preferences they may have, is the protection against that sort of mob rule.

The issue of what constitutes marriage and whether same-sex unions are or can be legitimate marriages is one for a Rule 4.2 debate in the proper forums. But the basic principle -- that a judge can rule in accordance with how he understands the Constitution to read, including equal protection under law -- and that a law which violates that principle -- that principle is acceptable for discussion here, and I for one stand foursquare against any doubletalk effort to sandbag it into the tyranny of the majority.

Upvote 0

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess people are finally realizing that gays getting equal protection won't affect them in one single way and will finally give everyone the same legal benefits of being married.

Petunia said:
I would vote against gay marriages. One reason is because I don't think we should change what marriage is. We haven't changed it in thousands of years. Why change it now? Also.. from a Christian standpoint.. I believe that marriage is ordained by God. And should be what God describes it as.

Fine. So marriage is between the couple and God. Ok, but do you think our government, who is not bound by the Christian God, should discriminate against gays and not allow them the same benefits that hetero couples enjoy? Not trying to pick a fight or anything like that. Just a legitimate question. I completely understand where you're coming from from a religious standpoint, but our government is not religious.

But I also would vote against it.. because I know that if gay marriage is ever legally finalized.. the first thing that gay activists would do, would be to target the churches.

Target the churches? In what fashion?

Reactions: SimplyMe
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.