Poll on whether to allow full discussion of homosexuality in TLT, part deux

Do You Want To Open Up Discussion Of Homosexuality And Same Sex Marriage In The TLT Forum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There's a difference between a member of the subform and a participant in the subforum. Members have the protection of the safe haven for their theological views. It does not say that membership in the subform is given no matter what the faith icon. Someone can be an active poster and active participant who fellowships. But the statement of faith describes what a member of The subforum is.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,794.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
But it says "Only active members of this forum may vote. A specific faith icon is not required, however, you must be a known member of this forum."

Emphasize mine.

And before that list - right at the beginning was

This poll is only open to members who self-identify as liberal Catholics. Please be honest and do not misrepresent your faith to vote in a forum that is not your home forum.

This is a little problematical I agree - the opening preamble does point out that
This is a word for word copy of the original poll.

And in the second post on the thread
....... But basically, you have to be a Catholic in Union with Pope Francis (no schismatic groups) and you need to self identify as theologically liberal.
Staff will be leaning toward giving the benefit of the doubt in cases where the liberalism of the member is questionable. Please don't call out voters in this thread.

I'm Catholic but cannot vote in this poll and nor will I attempt to

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The two statements contradict themselves. The first statement clearly says that a specific faith icon is not required while the second statement says the poll is only open to members who self-identify as liberal Catholics. So, which one is it or is it a matter of what is convenient for this particular poll? Also, are there active participants in other congregational forums who are not of that specific faith but they are given special consideration to vote in the polls due to their continual participation in that forum?

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It's not contradictory because the statement of faith for this form is clear: "The Lord's Table is a place for Catholics to fellowship and discuss theology, beliefs, and issues from a primarily liberal or left wing point of view"

The original polls were worded when we had Faith icons. Some people chose to wear the black cross for generic Christian. Some chose to wear the Catholic one. Also some forums specify that membership of a wider range than my compass multiple icons that existed the time.

Reactions: Tallguy88
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The two statements contradict themselves. The first statement clearly says that a specific faith icon is not required while the second statement says the poll is only open to members who self-identify as liberal Catholics. So, which one is it or is it a matter of what is convenient for this particular poll?
If you are a liberal Catholic, you may vote in the poll regardless of the faith icon that you use. If you are not a liberal Catholic, you may not vote in the poll, regardless of which faith icon you use.

The poll was worded that way to allow members of a faith to vote even if they didn't use the Catholic icon, so long as they really are Catholic. But being Catholic is an absolute requirement.

Also, are there active participants in other congregational forums who are not of that specific faith but they are given special consideration to vote in the polls due to their continual participation in that forum?

Only if the SoP specifies multiple denominations or is non denominational (moderates, apostolic, etc). But those that are for specific faiths (Baptist, Messianic Jewish, etc) are limited to members of those faiths.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yes , Anjelica , I have said that we are all by nature of being Catholics traditional .

I also said that I would not vote in this poll because of my objection to the forum being labelled "Liberal" .

As a result of some of the posts which have been made on other threads today I have changed my mind .

I have voted "No" to opening up full discussion of homosexuality and same sex marriage at The Lord's Table .
I don't think your vote went through. You have to vote in the poll at the top of the page for your vote to be counted.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You could argue that homosexual activity is not a sin.
It's a sin. So is masturbation. So is lying. It's not a WORSE sin than lying or masturbation, just another garden-variety mortal sin.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's a sin. So is masturbation. So is lying. It's not a WORSE sin than lying or masturbation, just another garden-variety mortal sin.
I don't disagree. But we are not discussing homosexuality itself in this poll, only whether to broaden the discussion.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't disagree. But we are not discussing homosexuality itself in this poll, only whether to broaden the discussion.

Fair enough.
Yes, open discussion. We must not be afraid of what we think, and we must not be afraid to express it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.