I'm His
Jun 13, 2011
U.S.A.
✟53,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My son, almost 30, wants to be a police. He finished 2 years of college about 4 or 5 years ago and applied for state trooper. He passed but was picked over because of others being more qualified. Anyway...he ended up going into banking..because at that time it was hard to get hired. (In our area)
Yestersay he told me he applied again. As a mother..in today's wild, evil world..and 2020 is bad...my heart tells me no. He is my only son.

He said he wants to help people, he feels God is pushing him into that. Can Satan decieve someone too?

I guess I shouldn't hold him back..even though I'm very concerned for his life. You know cops are more targets now than ever...and he is a good man and he wants to do good.

Please tell me what you think..I guess I'm letting my heart strings pull. Reminds me off peter? I think who didn't want Jesus to leave.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I admire his reasons, but also appreciate what you're thinking.

It seems that it's the local police, and in the larger urban areas, who are the ones most endangered, though. Of course, that doesn't mean that any police officers are safe, but maybe you can be glad he chose the state police.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You know cops are more targets now than ever.

They may be targeted more rhetorically and politically, but they're not at any greater physical risk now. For purposes of arguing politics, I've been keeping an eye on the Officer Down Memorial Page for a while now and the year-to-year fatality stats hold pretty steady regardless of what's going on on tv:
The Officer Down Memorial Page (ODMP)

If you dig through the numbers, you'll see that car accidents and heart attacks are as much a threat to officers as attackers, and this year, covid has outpaced them all. Not that any of this makes the job easier or safer, but it hopefully at least puts things into better perspective.

I admire his reasons, but also appreciate what you're thinking.

It seems that it's the local police, and in the larger urban areas, who are the ones most endangered, though. Of course, that doesn't mean that any police officers are safe, but maybe you can be glad he chose the state police.

AFAIK, the troopers also tend to be more professional and possibly better paid.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For purposes of arguing politics, I've been keeping an eye on the Officer Down Memorial Page for a while now and the year-to-year fatality stats hold pretty steady regardless of what's going on on tv:
The Officer Down Memorial Page (ODMP)
That's just the FATALITIES you are referring to. I'm sure a mother is concerned about non-fatal injuries as well, and they have increased.

AFAIK, the troopers also tend to be more professional and possibly better paid.
I was thinking that, too.

Reactions: Littlek
Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
satan is THE deceiver; everyone else learns how to lie from him :)

if God is leading him to go into law enforcement, then he'll be safer there in His will and therefore under His Wings than he would be anywhere else :)

(Joh 14:22) Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
(Joh 14:23) Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
(Joh 14:24) He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
(Joh 14:25) These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
(Joh 14:26) But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
(Joh 14:27) Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

there's only one way i know of to confirm God's leading: with scripture from the Bible . since no one can become instantly knowledgeable of the whole of the Bible, he would need to have set his heart to know the God through His Word in the Bible more than he has set his heart to go into law enforcement (or anything else) in order to be led by the Holy Spirit to find those confirming scriptures - seeking God in His revealed written Word is how we 'incline our ears' to the leading of the Holy Spirit inside us. if he's led by feelings, conventional wisdom, etc.; he's not being led by God, and not fully under His protection.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That's just the FATALITIES you are referring to. I'm sure a mother is concerned about non-fatal injuries as well, and they have increased.

I don't really want to get into an argument here with you (though if you wish to pick it back up in another, more appropriate forum, I'd be glad to). Yes, that only shows fatalities, but it would stand to reason that, barring advances in trauma medicine, the ratio of fatal:non-fatal injuries should remain roughly similar year-to-year given that the nature of the work hasn't changed.

My point here was not to make some treatise on policing; it was to reassure a worried mother that, despite what's being shown on the news, things aren't much different now than they have been for the last several years.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My son, almost 30, wants to be a police. He finished 2 years of college about 4 or 5 years ago and applied for state trooper. He passed but was picked over because of others being more qualified. Anyway...he ended up going into banking..because at that time it was hard to get hired. (In our area)
Yestersay he told me he applied again. As a mother..in today's wild, evil world..and 2020 is bad...my heart tells me no. He is my only son.

He said he wants to help people, he feels God is pushing him into that. Can Satan decieve someone too?

I guess I shouldn't hold him back..even though I'm very concerned for his life. You know cops are more targets now than ever...and he is a good man and he wants to do good.

Please tell me what you think..I guess I'm letting my heart strings pull. Reminds me off peter? I think who didn't want Jesus to leave.

No, don't hold him back. The world needs good law enforcement more than ever before. If all mothers hold back their sons, then who is left to fill the job?

I would worry, too. I'm also a mother with one son, my only child. But if he feels passionate about it (and it seems he does), then let him go where God is leading. And pray over him diligently, for God to keep him safe.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Unrelated, but I love your avatar! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks everyone, I'm going to let him be...I did voice my concerns..but he is a grown man..even though he will always be my son. What ever he chooses I will stand by him...I have to leave it in God's hands and his.

I can empathize fully with your worries. What mother wouldn't feel so? But our job is to raise the best young adults we can, then let them fly to their destinies. Prayer is your best tool!

Reactions: Littlek
Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
He's a grown adult, if he feels compelled to be a Police officer please allow him.

I encourage you to cast your cares unto the Lord for He cares for you and your son. Ask God to protect him and trust that He will. God bless

Upvote 0