Pls help! Meaning of 1st John 5:16

kcon

Mar 30, 2007
✟15,150.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I just read this verse and it scared me. Can anyone help me with its meaning? I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum.

Here is the verse written from the Amplified Bible:

If anyone sees his brother [believer] committing a sin that does not [lead to] death (the extinguishing of life), he will pray and [God] will give him life [yes, He will grant life to all those whose sin is not one leading to death]. There is a sin [that leads] to death; I do not say that one should pray for that.

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yep, this verse can cause more arguments than, who is filled and aren't filled with the Holy Spirit.

What sin leads to death? Is it physical or spiritual?

In 1 Cor. 11:27-30, Christians died because they conducted Holy Communion "in an unworth manner".

In Acts 5:1-11, Ananias and Sapphira were struck down when the lied to God.

In Mark3:29, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit results in spiritual death.

In Hebrews 6:4-6 it describes the spiritual death of a person who turns against our Lord Jesus Christ.

I suppose this verse is talking about those Christians who have backslid out of the door of the church and become followers of anti-Christ.

Many who put themselves out of reach of prayer by rejection the Gift of Salvation.

The who thing points to the lack of certainity, we just don't really know, do we?

Upvote 0

KarrieTex

HOOK EM HORNS
Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2006
Houston, Texas
✟38,214.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
When I read it in context, I see it as James speaking about the one unforgivable sin, blaspheming of the Holy Spirit.

However, I would say pray about it. Every verse is filled with so many different meanings especially if the Holy Spirit is teaching you on something specific.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Here's a link to the original Greek if you want to look up certain word definitions.

Greek

I think the other angle of it is interesting -- what type of authority/voice we might exercise in praying for someone's forgiveness. The part about sin is in the context of what we pray for... I don't think it was intended to strike fear in us. In fact, the verse about the unforgiveable sin was first referring to demons who have eternal sinfulness, and comparing it to how all our sins are forgiven.

"Truly[SIZE=-1][/SIZE] I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter."
Mr 3:29 - [ In Context
Greek

Upvote 0

rogsr

May 5, 2004
✟1,050.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There is one unforgivable sin, the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. All other sins will not lead to spiritual death if one is born again, and has accepted Christ as their Savior.

I hope this makes sense.
I agree, to deny or hate God, in spite of having a strong faith in his existence and love, is the onle unforgivable sin. This would be quite difficult though, since to deny a first cause in creation is as absurd as denying a love for Life who gave you life.

Upvote 0