Pleasing family...?

Glorianna

I'm a proud Canadian who married an American!
Mar 29, 2004
USA
✟30,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
reverie_maiden said:
*thinks about it for a few seconds* It would be hard to believe. I would feel like I was dreaming. Neither one of us having to leave would be strange at first, but I am sure we would get used to it and realize we don't have to leave on a plane anymore to go home.

:)

Upvote 0

reverie_maiden

The Lord is my Shepherd
Apr 19, 2005
KY
✟24,597.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
...butterfly... said:
I find it very difficult to please everyone. Its annoying...
I agree. My dad will still be angry with me for leaving early to head 2 hours down the road for our hotel room that night. I swear he still thinks I am 6 years old and he can't let go.

Upvote 0

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would be hesitant just relying on a marriage to do that though.

I see too many problems of parents and children that are still attached at the time of the marriage to advise that.

Seriously, work on it now - you'll save a lot of heartache, particularly on your husband's side...

Sasch

Upvote 0

reverie_maiden

The Lord is my Shepherd
Apr 19, 2005
KY
✟24,597.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Sascha Fitzpatrick said:

I see too many problems of parents and children that are still attached at the time of the marriage to advise that.

Seriously, work on it now - you'll save a lot of heartache, particularly on your husband's side...

Sasch
My fiance is already hurting about all this. The wedding is already driving him up the wall.

Upvote 0

joeman1

Legend
Jul 1, 2004
Visit site
✟29,264.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sascha Fitzpatrick said:

Sasch
Thank you so much finally someone who can actually see my side of things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mskedi

Senior Veteran
Dec 13, 2005
✟21,800.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
You could just offend everyone and elope :p. :)

In all honesty, though, you're not going to be able to please everyone, so I see no need to try. Make one concession for your fiance's family and one concession for your family (looks like it's the staying late thing), and then focus the rest of your efforts on what you want. If you guys are paying for it, then I don't see why either of your parents are even being filled in on your plans -- if they're not informed, they can't complain. Simple enough.

On the other hand, if they're contributing financially, you're kind of stuck.

Upvote 0

reverie_maiden

The Lord is my Shepherd
Apr 19, 2005
KY
✟24,597.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
MN John said:
I'm so glad after reading this that we're going simple... probably about 5 guests. We're thinking of going to a restaurant afterwards as a mini-reception.
Goodness gracious, you are lucky. Joey and I can't do it that way though, because we would have a lot of angry relatives on our hands...oh and parents too!

Upvote 0

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that's part of the 'bonus' of getting married older - there is a definite correlation (at least on here) of age and number of guests.

As you get older I think you just start to realise that 'hey it's OUR wedding, we want people there that REALLY mean something to us, so we'll restrict the numbers to show that', or something like that.

I've realised it on here - the younger couples seem to be looking at numbers of 100-plus, and wouldn't dream of not inviting the entire church and all extended family; those slightly older (ie. upwards of 25) are wanting absolute maximums of 50...

That's probably the difference between you and MN John, Reverie - with your age you will probably find it much harder to stake your independance in regards to your wedding.

Not really fair, but understandable...

Sasch

Upvote 0

Glorianna

I'm a proud Canadian who married an American!
Mar 29, 2004
USA
✟30,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sascha Fitzpatrick said:

Sasch

What I meant was that being married will help in this matter. Other things need to be done in order to leave and cleave, but the act of getting married is a step in the right direction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

reverie_maiden

The Lord is my Shepherd
Apr 19, 2005
KY
✟24,597.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Sascha Fitzpatrick said:
I think that's part of the 'bonus' of getting married older - there is a definite correlation (at least on here) of age and number of guests.

As you get older I think you just start to realise that 'hey it's OUR wedding, we want people there that REALLY mean something to us, so we'll restrict the numbers to show that', or something like that.

I've realised it on here - the younger couples seem to be looking at numbers of 100-plus, and wouldn't dream of not inviting the entire church and all extended family; those slightly older (ie. upwards of 25) are wanting absolute maximums of 50...

That's probably the difference between you and MN John, Reverie - with your age you will probably find it much harder to stake your independance in regards to your wedding.

Not really fair, but understandable...

Sasch
Yeah I know. There are people I wish not to invite, but my dad insists they come. Very frustrating!

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
reverie_maiden said:
Goodness gracious, you are lucky. Joey and I can't do it that way though, because we would have a lot of angry relatives on our hands...oh and parents too!

So... you'd rather make your husband-to-be angry than your relatives and your parents...

You are starting off your marriage making the wrong choices. You are defering to everyone but the man who is going to be your husband.

You can Joey can have any kind of wedding you like - or no wedding at all. But if you leave Joey out of this, you will be starting your marriage on a very wrong foot. Who comes first - your husband or your father?

Upvote 0

reverie_maiden

The Lord is my Shepherd
Apr 19, 2005
KY
✟24,597.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
bliz said:
So... you'd rather make your husband-to-be angry than your relatives and your parents...

You are starting off your marriage making the wrong choices. You are defering to everyone but the man who is going to be your husband.

You can Joey can have any kind of wedding you like - or no wedding at all. But if you leave Joey out of this, you will be starting your marriage on a very wrong foot. Who comes first - your husband or your father?
My fiance would love to read this post, because someone is finally defending his side of the arguement. Joey and I have been fighting over a week now about just what you were talking about. So, I am guessing I am the problem huh?

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
reverie_maiden said:
My fiance would love to read this post, because someone is finally defending his side of the arguement. Joey and I have been fighting over a week now about just what you were talking about. So, I am guessing I am the problem huh?

I cannot say, only you can.

One of the reasons marriages fail is that one of the parties has not left their family and they continue to put their parents or siblings or extended relations first before their spouse. The Bible is very clear on this - the couple is to become one flesh. He is to be the most important person in your life. Right now it seems that you are putting your parent's wishes above his. I would encourage both of you to go and talk with your pastor.

In an ideal world, your parents would be encouraging you to do this and for one reason or another, they are not doing so. But that does not mean that you cannot set things right and loving and gently make it clear to family that he comes first.

Upvote 0