United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello.

I've been single my entire life, mostly out of fear of what my Dad would say if I brought home a boy. But recently I've become friends with a nonbeliever who is by far the sweetest and most incredible person I have ever met. We like each other very much and have admitted this to each other, even held hands. However, my parents made it very clear that I'm not supposed to like him. So I'm currently disobeying my parents and going behind their back. I don't want to live a double life and the spirit has convicted me. I know I need to come clean and I want to. I don't want to sneak around.

However, this is a terrifying and daunting task for me. This person is a huge part of my life and even if I can't date him, I want him to be my friend. I feel that my mother will be understanding but dad will not be. He said when I first introduced this friend to the family that I "better not marry him because he's not a son-in-law I could be proud of". I've decided that I'm going to come clean to my mom but I have no idea how to approach telling my dad or if I even should. I'm terrified.

Again, this boy is a nonbeliever. He has stated before that he doesn't believe in God and doesn't think that he will, but recently he told me that he's willing to give up drinking and smoking and other bad habits if it means my parents will let us be together. He also told me that he's willing to "try God again".

I'm very torn and very, very scared. Am I making the right call? I'm very close to him and I don't believe in soulmates but he feels very right despite not being a Christian. I don't want to let him go. Additionally, he's a very damaged person and if I did decide to not tell my parents and just tell him we have to stop being friends, it would wreck him. I don't want to do that to him. Although that would be the easiest route. Then I could avoid the stress of ever having to tell Mom and Dad. But is that right? Probably not.

I need guidance. Please, please pray for me. And pray that my parents' hearts be softened and that they hear me out. I'm going to tell my mom very soon and I just need prayers and comfort. Thank you all.
Father, this is an easy one scripturally; don't even have to pray for understanding, for You have already revealed Your will in Your Word, 2 Corinthians 6:14-17; Proverbs 3:5-6. Where prayer is needed is in overcoming natural feelings and just doing the obeying of Your Word. This girl knows what is the right thing to do, but just doesn't like it or want to do it. I pray that she and You can work together to change her desires. I pray for the boy that eventually he will come to know the truth and accept Christ as Savior. I pray the girl will not be one to hide things from her father. Achan hid what was prohibited (Joshua 7:21) and it cost him and his family their lives. The boy giving up smoking and drinking is so, so, so, common a ploy to be with a girl. This should not be what the father is concerned about or would be pleased with. Being an unbeliever in light of 2 Co 6:14 is the issue. A union of such only brings heartache or unfruitfulness or both in a Christian that is a part of that. I pray this girl will see the great, great danger in getting too close to this boy. May she see what so many in her position usually don't see. May she make the right decisions here. Amen.

Upvote 0

Joe Tan

Oct 10, 2017
Singapore
✟15,299.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With all due respect to all replies, two people are together because of Love.

And if we can't respect Love, we can't respect Jesus our LORD.

When I see arguments coming up about how two persons cannot be together because of difference in beliefs, this is how I feel. And I think i'm not that wrong either.

Dear Father in Heaven, we pray you give this girl the wisdom needed to overcome her situation, in the name of our LORD and savior Jesus Christ, Amen. :amen:

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Blessed Each Day

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2017
Georgia
✟69,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Be wary of the "I'll give up drinking/smoking etc." I know people that have said it, know people whose significant others have said it, and it is rarely true; that person was just being selfish and saying whatever they needed to say to hold on to said person. I wouldn't be worried about his bad habits a fraction of the fact that he doesn't believe; I understand you can see it as a task to show him God's love, but if he isn't willing to try then why bother? It's a physical and emotional temptation, toying with your own faith. Don't let his lack of belief taint your own; be strong in your convictions. Love is a powerful feeling, but if it draws you from God, it isn't righteous, it's a devilish temptation, and you need to be careful. I pray that you have the strength to do what's right, in what seems to be a tough decision. Remember, your faith is everything; God's love trumps all else, and if he isn't willing to bother to learn God's truth, he shouldn't even be a friend of yours; that's not what you need in your life, it will only darken God's light trying to lead you.

Upvote 0

Joe Tan

Oct 10, 2017
Singapore
✟15,299.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Blessed Each Day How can Love draw one away from God when Jesus said abide by Love.

Decent people, loving and treasuring one and another, wanting to be together for life, as a couple, as husband and wife, is different from others, who love to hurt, or who love to steal.

In this case, we are talking about a loving couple. It is not as if the guy is a bad guy doing bad things.

Yes is yes, no is no, anything else comes from the devil. :amen:

And saying that people are bad because they are not Christians is what creates conflicts and war.

May Father in Heaven guide you guys to not only quote dead words, but learn the Living Word. And I am learning too, everyday.

So Father in Heaven, please guide all of us, to have the wisdom, grace, Love, Faith and Hope needed. Let our Faith, be full of Love and bring Hope to us and others, and not only just blind faith. In the name of our LORD Jesus Christ, Amen. :amen:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

megan_26

Sep 22, 2017
USA
✟44,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With all due respect to all replies, two people are together because of Love.

And if we can't respect Love, we can't respect Jesus our LORD.

When I see arguments coming up about how two persons cannot be together because of difference in beliefs, this is how I feel. And I think i'm not that wrong either.

Dear Father in Heaven, we pray you give this girl the wisdom needed to overcome her situation, in the name of our LORD and savior Jesus Christ, Amen. :amen:

I understand what you're saying, but in truth, he and I are very different people and a relationship between us would only hinder my faith. I know for certain. I've been in constant prayer with the Lord over this since yesterday morning and I'm confident in my decision. I made a vow to serve my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. This means I must put everything else aside. Even if it's love. Especially if it's love for someone I know won't do me any good in the long run.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand what you're saying, but in truth, he and I are very different people and a relationship between us would only hinder my faith. I know for certain. I've been in constant prayer with the Lord over this since yesterday morning and I'm confident in my decision. I made a vow to serve my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. This means I must put everything else aside. Even if it's love. Especially if it's love for someone I know won't do me any good in the long run.
"Can two walk together, except they be agreed?" (Amos 3.3)

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you decision....Because you are young and most likely led by your emotions and therefore more likely to fall hard for anyone, and possibly, the wrong one.

That being said, we must be careful how we treat everyone....as what we do to the least, we do to Jesus. He is in a state we call "a sinner." Therefore we are saying he is no good for us, a we should stay away from him lest he hurts our spiritual journey. This is fine. But one day, we were the sinners, and may be again in the future....At that time, will we want others saying the same thing to and about us? Whether they do or not depends, on how we treat others who are in that position now. I know that a relationship with this guy would have failed......but not because of him....But because of the words of life and death that you spoke: "relationship between us would only hinder my faith. I know for certain"

It is important to note that Christ is the light that lighteth every man that comes into the world.....Whether they believe it our not..

Upvote 0

megan_26

Sep 22, 2017
USA
✟44,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm asking for more prayers for myself because, despite making my decision, I'm still hurting over this. I really was very attached to this boy and I miss him a lot. He's very, very upset over this and his pain is making it harder for me to get rid of my feelings for him. Just pray for clarity and strength and that both of us can move on quickly.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm asking for more prayers for myself because, despite making my decision, I'm still hurting over this. I really was very attached to this boy and I miss him a lot. He's very, very upset over this and his pain is making it harder for me to get rid of my feelings for him. Just pray for clarity and strength and that both of us can move on quickly.
Ending these things is never easy but better this way than in some horror show 15 years down the road. I remember my first love, we were 16. I felt bad when it ended but I ended it, she left , walked away in tears that night. It wasn't easy to see, we had classes in school together etc. Two weeks later she is being driven to school by some guy in a Chrysler. She was sitting in the middle of the seat next to him and the word around school is he was older than us , a drop out and an aspirin addict. What am I saying ? Sometimes we really don't know someone who seems so nice. This girl seemed like a sweetheart. Maybe God placed it on my heart to move on knowing something I had no clue about at the time..

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Joe Tan

Oct 10, 2017
Singapore
✟15,299.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ah if the LORD has guided you to this, then it is Good. :amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums