Status
Not open for further replies.

neotaku17

Willing Learner
Dec 29, 2003
✟112.00
Faith
Christian
I have been a Christian all my life and have never even heard of this verse. Up until now I thought I read through the book of Luke, but apparently I haven't because I definitely would have noticed this. Please I am struggling tremendously with this verse. I know that Jesus in other verses overstates some of his points to help you understand, but I would really like to know more about what is really going on in this verse. Please spare no amount of technical data(original language translation), you would REALLY be helping me out. Please help anyone...

Luke 14:25

[25] Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: [26] "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters -- yes, even his own life -- he cannot be my disciple. [27] And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

just a simple note that may help. "the command by Jesus does seem difficult at first reading. however, the 'hatred' called for here is actually a lesser love. Jesus was calling his disciples to cultivate such a devotion to him that their attachment to everything else, including their own lives, would seem like hatred by comparison." (jmsb)

also note Matt. 10:37.

remember that Christianity was sweeping through many households were pious Jews were clinging to Judaism. and for a son or daughter to embrace this revolutionary thinking would certainly create some relational ripples around the family table -- not to mention being completely cut out of your inheritance. simply put, Jesus wanted them to understand that those choosing him would have to love him more than they loved their family's position on religion. and if it meant separating and creating a rift in the family, it was still a good choice.

hope that helps.

Upvote 0

JohnStevenson

Jul 20, 2003
Hollywood, Florida
Visit site
✟7,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
neotaku17 said:
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters -- yes, even his own life -- he cannot be my disciple. [27] And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.
This is a hard passage. If you read this and it does not bother you, you haven’t read it. For Jesus to say these words would be blasphemy if He were not God. He demands to be the center of attention and the object of complete loyalty.

Does Jesus really and truly call us to hate our family? No. To the contrary, the Scriptures are quite explicit when they tell husbands to love their wives as Christ loved the church (Ephesians 5:25); mothers to love their children (Titus 2:4); and for children to honor father and mother (Ephesians 6:2). Indeed, we are even taught to love our enemies and those who persecute us (Matthew 5:44).

So then what does Jesus mean when he says that those who wish to be He disciple must hate father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters?

Before we answer that, take note of the setting in which Jesus spoke these words. It was at a time when great multitudes were going along with Him (14:25). There were a great many people who had come to Jesus and they had come for a great many reasons. Some were merely curious. Others wanted to see a miracle. And perhaps some had heard of His feeding of the 5000 and were looking for a free meal. The point is that they had come for many different reasons and they were not necessarily committed to following Him. A lot of people think that they are Christians because they are going along with Jesus. But you don’t follow Jesus by merely going along with Him.

It is in this setting that Jesus turns and addresses the crowd. They might have been anticipating that He would pronounce some blessing upon them. After all, they had come to see and hear Him. What more would He want? They must have been quite surprised to hear His charge.

This is a figure of speech. Jesus is calling for a commitment that is so great that anything by comparison will be deemed as hatred. This is in contrast to the parable in the previous verses where one of the invited guests declined the invitation because he had recently married a wife (14:20).

Do you want to be a disciple of Jesus? You must give Him preeminence. You must recognize His sovereignty and His Lordship. You must give Him your devotion and your love.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.